Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:41 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,878,747 times

Advertisements

have you ever looked at the town of greece? low income housing, and the majority of homes are old, run down and look like hell.

I don't know what part of Greece you are looking at... probably only over by Dewey...You haven't seen all of Greece if THAT is your observation.

these are mostly blue-collar wealth, as is most of the west side.

What is wrong with BLUE COLLAR? That is a seriously snobby thing to say. My father was a white collar guy- but tons of my relatives are blue collar and make a fine living and have wonderful families and friends...and live in beautiful homes... your comment is close minded and obnoxious.

as for schools, the webster and fairport and pittsford school systems far surpass those on the west side....even your beloved spencerport. i'll be fair and not even mention hilton.

Here is the list of NY 's TOP RATED HIGH SCHOOLS from NEWSWEEK- in order of RANKING

Pittsford Sutherland, Odyssey in Greece, Pittsford Mendon, Victor, Honeoye Falls Lima, Webster Thomas, Webster Shroeder, ER, Pal Mac, Penfield, Fairport, Hilton, Rush Henrietta... That is where the list ended

Use that info as you please- but just know that only a few of the schools were listed in the highest standing- primarily Pittsford and Greece.

Anyone on here that has read any of my postings can attest that I like the East Side... HOWEVER... When I come across a comment that is completely rude and generalized I will defend the West Side as it DOES have a LOT to offer... My family lives there as do several of my close friends (who grew up on the East Side) and they don't want to move back to the East Side... To each his own- but to say such horrible things about the West Side is gross misrepresentation. Greece is one of the Safest Towns in the US for heavens sake! There are a lot of good things about Greece...

BTW you are pushing Fairport right? Ok, I grew up there and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT... BUT if you are complaining about low income housing... UH care to explain why the PINES OF PERINTON and the North Side of the Tracks of the Village aren't on the CON list to the East Side? And what about that Subsidized Houseing in Webster... Over by State Road? And if you want, there are TWO in Penfield... One right next to Penfield Weggies and another over by the Four Corners... Just so you can keep track of all the low income housing in our area (I am East Side too) There are more, but I am getting tired of this discussion.

Last edited by skbs; 07-06-2008 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 07:58 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,878,747 times
[quote=rochacha;4356693]I'm not sure how everyone can say the roads are less congested on the east side. quote]

I think that Ridge Road kind of sticks out in everyone's head... but I think Webster is JUST as Congested... Main Street of Pittsford/Monroe Ave/Rt 31 is pretty bad at certain times of day... Fairport is bad if there is a train or boat if you are driving down Main Street... Ok... as long as I am eating my words... 441 in Penfield during Rush Hour bites pretty bad. You win

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
have you ever looked at the town of greece? low income housing, and the majority of homes are old, run down and look like hell.
Unlike East Rochester? Irondequoit? Parts of any town on the east side?

Quote:
the east side attracts more college graduated business people. this isn't my opinion...ask any realtor, in private and off the record, and they'll tell you the exact thing as i have stated above.
I don't disagree, I just don't know why. Nor do I care because it keeps things cheaper and less congested and pretentious for me.

Quote:
as for schools, the webster and fairport and pittsford school systems far surpass those on the west side....even your beloved spencerport. i'll be fair and not even mention hilton.
According to what? The NEWSWEEK rankings that list a Rochester City School in the top 150 in the country? The one where a school can move 100 places in a year because some arbitary measure changed? Show me a ranking list and I'll show you some biased measurements influenced by family wealth and other measures that truly don't measure a school's effectiveness (e.g., how many city school kids do you think can afford SAT prep classes vs. Pittsford kids). EDIT: The only measurement in NEWSWEEK is students taking AP or IB divided by students. Very diverse measurement.

Last edited by rochacha; 07-06-2008 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM

3 posts, read 14,072 times
well, that was most interesting people. Thanks for all the advice and yelling back and forth...I didn't think this topic would be a sore for some people. I've already made my decision, so thank you all for your help.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Welcome to the area ab14. Sorry for the troll interference in the thread.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,328 times
Wink I am Belgian, was visiting Greece Rochester, and this is my opinion

Quote:
stay out of greece...alot of white trash lives there and the roads are always conjested. their taxes are outrageous.

move to the east side towns of rochester for better living conditions and better schools.
I do not know much from schools or school programs in the Rochester region.
But I know that I do like Greece, Rochester N.Y.
Maybe I visited the "better" neighbourhouds of Greece, Rochester last month April ?
I came from Belgium, and I have met a lot of very, very nice and distinguished people from Greece Rochester working in nice jobs. I wouldn't call them "trash" at all !!! (Shame on you ! )
I have seen real worse neighbourhouds there in Rochester city, neighbourhouds where I wouldn't be when it is dark.... although my mother in law was born there... (but hat was ages ago)
And indeed I have seen even more beautiful regions in Rochester too.
And if any-one would see REAL congested roads.... than you have to come to Antwerp or Brussels in Belgium !!! There you can wait hours to reach your destination. And that every working day...
I didn't see really congested roads in the Rochester area, traffic was really very nice to drive. I liked to drive there the hired car.
But maybe, it is because I am not used to live into the U.S.A. ?
I whish every-one there a nice life, and I am hoping you are finding your own nice home in a good-feeling neighbourhoud !

Myriam H.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 AM
mga

230 posts, read 398,045 times
sheesh....such emotions.

the two areas in rochester that have the worst reputations are greece and gates. there are even some jokes about people from those two areas...i've heard it numerous times: greece trash or gates trash.

just the way it is. i don't make this up, i just hear what people say.

and by the way...some people "from greece" just moved in a couple houses down. their yard looks like "toys r us" moved there, they allow their two dogs to run wild and crap all over, they park cars all over the front lawn, they cut their lawn once a month, they're loud, and the house looks like it dropped in value 10k in one month.

but, like i said...i would expect nothing more from greece trash.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,726,725 times
Oh, well if one family from Greece acts like that, it must mean an entire town of almost 100k is like that.
A guy with a red shirt punched me once. That must mean everybody that wears red shirts are jerks.
Greece is a large town that has neighborhoods ranging from small cape cods that spaced close together to large new construction homes on big lots that you would find in Pittsford. To make a sweeping generalization is just plain stupid and ignorant.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Don't feed the trolls! The funny thing is that he lives in Parma.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:10 AM
mga

230 posts, read 398,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Don't feed the trolls! The funny thing is that he lives in Parma.
yep, i do.

and i have had many years experience dealing with greece people. i only speak from personal experience and i don't change my position. as for me, i would never....never...live in the town of greece.

and, as i said before, the problem is they're now beginning to move into parma...ugh....there goes the value of my home.

ps: i'm not trolling. someone asked a question and i gave my opnion. i won't apologize if someone's feelings were hurt, but not every area in rochester is the perfect paradise...especially greece. if you don't like my opinion...too freakin bad...what can i say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area