Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 AM

525 posts, read 1,829,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post

ps: i'm not trolling. someone asked a question and i gave my opnion. i won't apologize if someone's feelings were hurt, but not every area in rochester is the perfect paradise...especially greece. if you don't like my opinion...too freakin bad...what can i say.
Making that statement to someone familiar with the area and stating it as your opinion is fine, because they can take it with a grain of salt. Stating it to random people not familiar with the area as fact is not fair to the town of Greece.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I also live on the west side and would not live in Greece either (well, maybe North Greece), but that is a matter of personal preference and obviously many people do like living in Greece, as it is the size of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:36 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,878,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Making that statement to someone familiar with the area and stating it as your opinion is fine, because they can take it with a grain of salt. Stating it to random people not familiar with the area as fact is not fair to the town of Greece.

P.S. In the interest of full disclosure, I also live on the west side and would not live in Greece either (well, maybe North Greece), but that is a matter of personal preference and obviously many people do like living in Greece, as it is the size of a city.
I agree... North Greece is a lovely area- that would be my pick.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM

260 posts, read 978,295 times
Hear is my take on Greece. I am unbiased. Greece has gone down hill a little though, there are some parts of Greece that are beauitful, actually most of Greece is beauitful. North Greece is great. Long Pond Rd has some great homes that are not over priced and it is minutes from anywhere.

Greece has a good school district. If one had children in high school, I would push them to go to Athena, and stay away from Olympia.

If you were looking to live in Greece, North Greece hands down and stay away from the Dewey area.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM

260 posts, read 978,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab14 View Post
What areas are the best for a family? Moving soon from PA to be close to family...looking at Chili, Greece, Gates and Charlotte so far....family in Greece, Spencerport and Victor.....not looking to spend too much up to 800 for 2-3 bedroom. Appreciate any help!!!
Long Pond Shores.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:32 PM

4 posts, read 13,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY View Post
Greece has a good school district. If one had children in high school, I would push them to go to Athena, and stay away from Olympia.

If you were looking to live in Greece, North Greece hands down and stay away from the Dewey area.

The first statement is 100% true. I graduated from Athena in '07 and Olympia gets worse every year. I live in a beautiful house in North Greece and I think it's great. So Mr. Parma boy you can keep talking about 'white trash' in Greece while you and the rest of you hicks are tending to your farms ok? Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,604,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga View Post
sheesh....such emotions.

the two areas in rochester that have the worst reputations are greece and gates. there are even some jokes about people from those two areas...i've heard it numerous times: greece trash or gates trash.

just the way it is. i don't make this up, i just hear what people say.

and by the way...some people "from greece" just moved in a couple houses down. their yard looks like "toys r us" moved there, they allow their two dogs to run wild and crap all over, they park cars all over the front lawn, they cut their lawn once a month, they're loud, and the house looks like it dropped in value 10k in one month.

but, like i said...i would expect nothing more from greece trash.

You must live in Pittsford...that pretentiousness couldn't hail from anywhere else in this region (btw I'm actually very fond of Pittsford). Greece trash? What an ignorant comment. You know the Wegmans actually live in North Greece right? Such poor white trashy people they are! Greece and Gates are not the two most joked about suburbs. Gates I will agree is a little seedy, but I'm sure most would agree that the other most "joked about" suburb is definitely Irondequoit. Getting mugged at Medley Center seems a lot worse to me than getting stuck in traffic on W. Ridge Road.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You must live in Pittsford...that pretentiousness couldn't hail from anywhere else in this region (btw I'm actually very fond of Pittsford). Greece trash? What an ignorant comment. You know the Wegmans actually live in North Greece right? Such poor white trashy people they are! Greece and Gates are not the two most joked about suburbs. Gates I will agree is a little seedy, but I'm sure most would agree that the other most "joked about" suburb is definitely Irondequoit. Getting mugged at Medley Center seems a lot worse to me than getting stuck in traffic on W. Ridge Road.
It was already established he is from Parma and is just bitter because his neighbors moved from Greece and their dog barks too much or something. And I'd say Irondequoit is almost exactly like Greece, just with a better reputation and better schools (West Irondequoit is better, East Irondequoit is par with Athena). Both northern parts of Irondequoit and Greece are nice, with the southern parts not so much. Plus, it was Greece mall, not Medley Center that had to put in a curfew due to problems. I thought it was proven a long time ago that the safety issues at Irondequoit Mall/Medley Centre were unfounded rumors?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,604,704 times
Parma? Does he not realize that Parma is essentially an extention of Greece...with a somewhat more hickish vibe (unless you are in Hilton)?. Northern and Western Greece are almost exactly the same as Parma, with North Greece being somewhat more developed and well-off (by west side standards at least). Won't argue that some of the older parts of eastern and southern Greece are pretty undesirable (although IMO still better than Irondequoit south of Titus Ave), but labeling all the people of one town (the largest town in Monroe County btw with a population of around 95k) as "Greece trash" is truly ignorant and uncalled for.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:15 AM

355 posts, read 2,371,149 times
What is the area between downtown and Charlotte called? I drove to Ontario beach last weekend, and took State rd. from Court up to the beach itself. As you leave downtown, the area was sketchy at best, it made me have second thoughts about taking that specific road. But eventually I saw the "Charlotte" sign, and the view changed completely.

I'm not sure what signs other people look at/look for when they evaluate an area for safety, etc. What I saw in the area between downtown and Charlotte was run down houses, unkempt properties, cars stopped in the middle of the road while the occupants chatted with people sitting at a porch (indicating lack of concern for rules, regulations, traffic safety, etc.), groups of youngsters gathered in an alley watching two of them fight, people walking along the sidewalks with hostile looks on their faces, looking straight at you like waiting for any gesture that they could use as an excuse to start a fight, front yards used as junk yards (old cars, old furniture), area streets in bad shape (potholes, tar patches, etc.).

I'm not saying those are the things to use to evaluate a place. They are just the ones I use.

What about you? What things do you take into account to evaluate a neighborhood?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:49 AM

169 posts, read 476,898 times
It's called "a ghetto"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area