Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:30 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrich24 View Post
I live in Portland, Oregon and have been offered a job in Rochester. I've never been there and am a bit nervous about the weather and finding enough to do. My wife and I are empty-nesters, but both working.
Anyone out there relocate there recently? What are the pitfalls and pleasures?
Well, what do you like to do and what kind of neighborhood would you prefer to live in? I think you will surprised in terms of things to do in a positive way and it is just like any city/area with its nice and rough neighborhoods. I will say that the suburbs are overwhelmingly fine and range in terms of walkable villages to stereotypical suburban developments, as well as economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 101,998 times
I don't understand why everyone is so opposed to living in the city. Not all city neighborhoods and schools are horrible. I guess it depends on how you grew up though. I've lived in the city (14613) all my life and never had any problems. As far as schools go research them yourself, the district itself may be struggling but that doesn't mean every student in every school is failing. Rochester City School District.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charice04 View Post
I don't understand why everyone is so opposed to living in the city. Not all city neighborhoods and schools are horrible. I guess it depends on how you grew up though. I've lived in the city (14613) all my life and never had any problems. As far as schools go research them yourself, the district itself may be struggling but that doesn't mean every student in every school is failing. Rochester City School District.
True and School of the Arts, Wilson Magnet, which has some good programs and Francis Parker in terms of an elementary school, are examples that come to mind.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,756 times
I'm living in miami,but I'm gonna move to rochester, ny for work reason. I have 2 children. I need a good place to live. My work will be driving from buffalo to Syracuse. anyone please help ?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM

192 posts, read 530,817 times
Like others have said on this thread the South Eastern Quadrant of the city tends to be the overall nicest area. It also has the most services and is very safe, so I would recommend starting there if you’re going to be living in the city.

Rochester’s suburbs are also all pretty nice across the board. Two of our suburbs, Pittsford and Brighton, have top notch schools and are ranked very high nationally. Both of these towns tend to be more affluent, but the overall cost of living here is much lower than in Miami. So you may be able to find something affordable.

We could help you narrow your search down further if you give us more specific details on exactly what you are looking for.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 18,668 times
My husband in getting an offer on main street in the area of Rochester west mainstreetgive me some input about that area?

Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choose View Post
My husband in getting an offer on main street in the area of Rochester west mainstreetgive me some input about that area?
West Main Street is safe pretty much only within the inner loop. It gets progressively worse as you travel west of Nick Tahou's Hots. So as long as the offer is downtown, which I'm assuming it is, I wouldn't be worried.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,415 times
I am a single parent and soon to move in Rochester/ Gates NY...curious to know if it is a great place to raise a family, equal im race, alright cost of living and great job opportunities plus elementary schools. Please help me with any feedback. truly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
Hey guys I'm looking to moved to another state but I have 3 in mind Pennsylvania,Boston,and upstate NY but I just lost my job and single mom its difficult now to find jobs Ineed a reasonable place and be able to find a job nice area to raise my son please I need a advice I appreciate it God bless you all.thank you

Old 11-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabie13 View Post
Hey guys I'm looking to moved to another state but I have 3 in mind Pennsylvania,Boston,and upstate NY but I just lost my job and single mom its difficult now to find jobs Ineed a reasonable place and be able to find a job nice area to raise my son please I need a advice I appreciate it God bless you all.thank you
What kind of job are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area