Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,932 times

Advertisements

I guess this is what the area gets for being centered around a "service-oriented" economy:

Is Rochester one of the*worst*places to find a job? | www.WHEC.com (http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1995304.shtml?cat=566 - broken link)

Cleveland and Charlotte are ranked higher for jobs paying $50K+/yr.???

Last edited by HowardRoarke; 02-28-2011 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 05:36 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,043 times
The premise here is extremely flawed. The data they used is from one quarter, not to mention that they don't take cost of living into consideration. Just using jobs of 50k or more without taking COL into consideration is amateur. A job in Buffalo might start you off at 40k per year due to the low cost of living, but that same job in Seattle may be 50k since the COL is much higher.
If people here are going to ignore the Forbes lists (which they should) that tout the area for having a better economy than most for their flawed logic, this list should be ignored too. The criteria is extremely unreliable.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Forbes changes it's mind about Rochester (and most metro areas) on a daily basis. It's ranked as having one of the best places to "start over" in your career, and then a couple issues later proclaim it's one of the hardest to find a job. Last week they said that New Orleans was THE top place for college graduates to relocate to; and now they're saying it has THE worst job market in the country.

Is it easy to find a job in Rochester right now? No.

Is it easy to find a job really anywhere outside of China right now? No.

Make of the story what you will. I used to love see Rochester (and Raleigh when I still lived there) at the top of the "good" Forbes lists; but now; good or bad, whatever they say I take with a grain of salt as it is never consistent and their stats and methods of collecting them generally seem flawed and unexplained

want proof? just scroll down to the bottom of this page, and look at all the other "similar threads" from other regional forums. Seems forbes has ranked a lot of places "the 2nd worst job market in the country" lately.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I agree, as you don't need to necessarily make 50k to live comfortably in Upstate NY metros and if you make that much, you can pretty much live in any community you want, especially if both spouses make that much individually.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
I am going to have to disagree, as much as I don't want to. If you have seen my posts here on the Rochester thread, we are from there, we love it there & we would do anything to come back!
Unfortunately, the job market really is awful there.
We know it is not good anywhere, but for my husband's career, Rochester has nothing to offer him.
Even his head hunters pretty much laugh or sigh when he tells them to check again.
We have been away from the area for almost 14 years now, in those 14 years, I would say that we started looking to come back after being away for about 7 years.
In these past 7 years, there has only been ONE job opportunity become available for him and he did pursue it. He interviewed and was offered the position but they wanted to pay him almost $25K less than he was making at that time.
He didn't take the job, quite honestly, because it was insulting.
We could have had a comfortable life there but he worked too hard to take that kind of a pay cut,regardless of the fact that the cost of living in Rochester is much lower than the mid-atlantic area where we still live.
If you are a teacher or in the Healthcare industry(ies) , you probably have an easier time finding jobs.

In the end, it is best that he didn't take the job as a year after that interview & offer occured, the company closed it's doors. (It was a pharma company... a very small one)

Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,525 times
How is taking a $25k pay cut insulting if the area does not dictate that extra $25k? You said it yourself, you live in a pricier area that requires that extra salary. Sounds like your husband wants the extra amount more for pride than anything else.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM

I don't think that my post warrants any type of personal "attacks" honestly. My husband may have pride, but who doesn't when it comes to their careers that they worked hard for, went to college & graduate school for? I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all and I know many others who would have done the same.
There were other factors involved that I felt didn't really pertain to the post, but if you must know, the company wasn't willing to pay relo expenses either. That is a HUGE amount of money for , just an fyi for anyone who may not have had to relocate before. Huge.

My post was not an attack on Rochester or it's people. It is our home town and we have many happy memories there. The job wasn't worth the move though and my point was that in the 7 years that my husband has been actively looking for a job there, only 1, ONE job has become available for him. The headhunters pretty much discourage people from looking in Western NY in general, except for a few certain industries, such as healthcare.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
It is completely understandable to not want a 25% paycut, especially when established in one's career and especially when you already have a job.

It's one thing to reject a job offer because it is less than your previous job when you are unemployed; but if you are already working and make a good salary and when your only job offer is significantly lower (even if the COL is lower where the job is) it's understandable to not take it. NYMD67 i hope you or your husband are eventually able to land a job that suits you here in Rochester because it seems that is what you really want and we could use more people with your positive attitude around here. We'd be happy to have you; but only when it feels right for you

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
It is completely understandable to not want a 25% paycut, especially when established in one's career and especially when you already have a job.

It's one thing to reject a job offer because it is less than your previous job when you are unemployed; but if you are already working and make a good salary and when your only job offer is significantly lower (even if the COL is lower where the job is) it's understandable to not take it. NYMD67 i hope you or your husband are eventually able to land a job that suits you here in Rochester because it seems that is what you really want and we could use more people with your positive attitude around here. We'd be happy to have you; but only when it feels right for you
Thank You someday we hope!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,525 times
If you moved from a lower COL area to a higher COL area, would you expect a significantly higher salary to compensate? Just wonderin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area