Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 59,702 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to Rochester in this summer. My office location is Honeoye Falls. I am considering where should I live? Since my wife will be pursuing higher studies, proximity/ easy commute to University of Rochester or RIT is a priority. I am considering Herieatta. I found its approximately 15 miles away from my work place but close to RIT. What do you guys suggest. Are there any other areas I should consider? How is the mass transit in this area? Can RIT and Univ of Rochester be easily accessed from other locations such as Rush or Pittsford?

Your inputs/ suggestions can definetly make my decision well-informed.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 01:18 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
You can prettty much get anywhere in Monroe County within 30-35 minutes TOPS. The average commute only being about 20 minutes. Henrietta or more rural Rush would be a wise choice IMO. RIT is located in Henrietta, and UofR is just inside the Rochester City limits about 10-15 minutes north of Henrietta. Honeoyo Falls is a village in the town of Rush (I thin its in the town of Rush). Rush-Henrietta share a school district that is very good.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:15 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
I don't know if you are looking for a house or an apartment... but Mendon and Henrietta are really close to HF. Are you looking at schools for kids as well? If so, I would look seriously into Mendon. Both are easy commutes to HF and Colleges

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM

51 posts, read 171,669 times
Rush and Mendon are very nice, but pricey if you're supporting your wife while she goes to school. Henrietta can be hit or miss and there are some nice sections of the city around the U of R (and some not so nice sections).*

Are you buying a house or renting? If you are renting it may be advantageous for you to live in student housing, at least to start. It would be easiest for your wife, plus they don't bind you into a long term lease (it was per quarter when I went to RIT). That way you can check the area out for yourself to see where you may want to live.

I know that RIT allowed couples, not sure about the U of R (I have to believe they allow it, they are building a lot of new housing as well). RIT did tend to charge very high rents though (but you got a break in the summer). While there is always the issue of college parties, RIT was pretty subdued (and since the U of R is more expensive, I imagine they are as well) and there were plenty of families living there when I did (it's been a few years though).

As I'minformed said, getting around Rochester is easy, but there are bus routes that run to RIT and the U of R from all around the city (even Honeoye Falls) if you need mass transit. Many of them entail switching and waiting (and sometimes a bit of a walk) in order to get to RIT or the U of R though (I wouldn't call it "easily accessed", but YMMV). An all-day pass is only $3 (or it's $1.25 a ride). The website is http://www.rgrta.com/

*I'm in Henrietta now, but I miss my old neighbrhood in the city (which was about 5 minutes from the U of R). My big issue with Henrietta currently is no place to walk my dog (they've actually started to remove the sidewalks from my neighborhood), which may not even be an issue in your situation.

Last edited by DJ-Uno; 03-31-2008 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: trying to fix the link...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area