Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 465,996 times

Advertisements

Just for fun, any famous ones? Are they open to the public? Urban legends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
There are many claims of the George Eastman Mansion being haunted by it's namesakes ghost. We all know he is turning over in his grave but maybe his ghost is still stomping around that bid ole' house of his. I wouldn't want to leave either that place is amazing. (though he did kill himself in it)

Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
There is THe White Lady in the Durand Eastman Park.... there was a movie done about it in the 80s

Lady in White - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-26-2010, 06:24 PM

hey, thanks for the info guys... keep 'em coming! I'm asking basically any questions that I can think of about local culture and folklore, as I will be relocating there in the summer with my family, and I want to know as much as I can about culture, people, folklore, etc, etc, etc. as to make the transition for my family easier. I wanna feel like a local as much as possible, before I start my life over there. Specially because of the differences... I'm a Peruvian, that has been living with his family for almost 10 years now in sunny Orange County, California. I don't know how much of a cultural shock it will be for us to move over there, but at least I want to be prepared for it. Local legends and idiosyncrasies is a good starting point.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:35 PM

About The White Lady legend:
Lady In White - Rochester Wiki

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM

200 posts, read 604,816 times
There's also the Valentown Museum in Victor in suburban Rochester - the SciFi Network show "Ghost Hunters" did an episode there a couple of seasons ago - and it's open to the public
Victor, NY Historical Society - Valentown Museum - Ghost Hunts
There are also a few haunted areas, native burial grounds, haunted houses, mansions, cemeteries, etc etc that Rochester Paranormal have investigated
WNY Regional Haunting | Rochester Paranormal
And there is spook hill on the west side of Canandaigua Lake - if you stop your car and put it in neutral, your car is actually pulled uphill by an unseen force. An optical illusion, of course, but cool none the less
There was also an old asylum or orphanage in Dansville - I'm not sure of the name, and I can't find anything on it, but you can see it from I-390 on the hill to the east of the highway. I seem to remember hearing stories about it when I was in college. If anyone knows more about that it would be interesting to hear more on it.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM

10 posts, read 63,143 times
Default castle on the hill............

You are referring to the ''castle on the hill'' in dansville ny...You better have a pair of________!!!!!! if you go to this place after midnight..I am fair warning you....
I hung out there as a teenager from 1980-1990 and swore i would never go back to this evil,ghostly place..I new every inch of this castle at one time..Just google Mac Faddens casle on the hill and learn about this very old castle built in the 1700's....
I can assure you that there are ghosts living there.They still had the old beds and rooms when it was a hospital.Here is an article on this place... Dansville Public Library - History....

If you are a thrill seeker you have to park your car away from this place and walk up the hill to get inside this unreal scary castle.I want to point out to you that if you are caught it will be a tresspassing ticket.But for the most part the cops dont wanna go up there.I dont condone this but many thrill seekers have visited this place after midnight.Remember this place is very old filled with many floors,rooms and hiding spots.Watch out for the elevator shaft too..At all cost be careful if you take this dare..Again i do not condone this but it will be a thrill of a lifetime..Happy ghost hunting......

Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Wow, Rochester does sounds very interesting for the thriller seeker. Keep them 'comments coming!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 AM

1,886 posts, read 3,448,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
There's also the Valentown Museum in Victor in suburban Rochester - the SciFi Network show "Ghost Hunters" did an episode there a couple of seasons ago - and it's open to the public
Victor, NY Historical Society - Valentown Museum - Ghost Hunts
There are also a few haunted areas, native burial grounds, haunted houses, mansions, cemeteries, etc etc that Rochester Paranormal have investigated
WNY Regional Haunting | Rochester Paranormal
And there is spook hill on the west side of Canandaigua Lake - if you stop your car and put it in neutral, your car is actually pulled uphill by an unseen force. An optical illusion, of course, but cool none the less
There was also an old asylum or orphanage in Dansville - I'm not sure of the name, and I can't find anything on it, but you can see it from I-390 on the hill to the east of the highway. I seem to remember hearing stories about it when I was in college. If anyone knows more about that it would be interesting to hear more on it.
Dansville had the hot springs resort, which is what I think you're referring to. That started in the 1800's, and was successful into the 20th C. Private property, run down, and it burned about 12 years ago when some folks were there screwing around.

Lake Ave. by the cemetery is creepy at night. We used to drive by there on foggy nights back when we were kids, and it was spooky. The low-lying type fog you'll find in late Spring. There's an old ghost story from decades ago where an adolescent girl would try to hitchhike along there, and it turned out to be an apparition.

Paddy Hill in Greece has all kinds of ghost stories associated with it, although the prevailing attitude out there is there were some folks on Latta who liked to imbibe quite a bit, and the swamp gasses from the surrounding swamps made eerie lights at night. The Irish in the area thought they were seeing faeries and whatnot. The swamps are long gone. It was mostly farms, orchards, and swamps up 'til the 50's. One story I like to tell is a friend's grandfather bought hundreds of acres of land out there years ago, and people told him he was crazy to do so

The old church on Paddy Hill is thought to be haunted. It was a town library for years. The adjacent cemetery goes back to the ~1820's. One thing I could never figure out were the red lamps people put on the graves, plainly visible at night. Must be some kind of tradition.

The old lighthouse at Charlotte is thought to be haunted. The nearby cemetery has a lot of old graves, and Sam Patch (daredevil guy) is buried there.

Some people thought the old YMCA in Webster was haunted. It was vacant for years, and young folks would party there. It's long gone.

Mt. Hope cemetery is the oldest Victorian cemetery in the states. Kinda creepy in spots, in broad daylight. Some of the old gravestones were put there with families who had money, and the stones are carved with themes or symbols into them. There's a website somewhere which explains this, and decodes what all of it means.

I've heard Smuggler's Cove in Irondequoit is thought to be haunted by some, but I don't know any details.

Yeah, Orange Cty. to Rochester will be culture shock, although Rochester is an interesting place. Lots of history, and it's an old city.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

5,695 posts, read 4,093,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK MIKEY View Post
You are referring to the ''castle on the hill'' in dansville ny...You better have a pair of________!!!!!! if you go to this place after midnight..I am fair warning you....
I hung out there as a teenager from 1980-1990 and swore i would never go back to this evil,ghostly place..I new every inch of this castle at one time..Just google Mac Faddens casle on the hill and learn about this very old castle built in the 1700's....
I can assure you that there are ghosts living there.They still had the old beds and rooms when it was a hospital.Here is an article on this place... Dansville Public Library - History....

If you are a thrill seeker you have to park your car away from this place and walk up the hill to get inside this unreal scary castle.I want to point out to you that if you are caught it will be a tresspassing ticket.But for the most part the cops dont wanna go up there.I dont condone this but many thrill seekers have visited this place after midnight.Remember this place is very old filled with many floors,rooms and hiding spots.Watch out for the elevator shaft too..At all cost be careful if you take this dare..Again i do not condone this but it will be a thrill of a lifetime..Happy ghost hunting......
I've recently heard that this place is, or is going to be renovated soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area