Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 PM

232 posts, read 805,027 times

Advertisements

Eastman Dental Dispensary. Not sure if it's "officially" classified as haunted, but they run a haunted house in October which is a riot. Last time I went, I saw a ~12 yr old boy run out of there crying because he was so frightened, haha....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,395 times
I've been researching this today b/c I went there when I was a kid with my family, my mom grew up near there, no where does it say it was an insane asylum but it was a Health Spa! It is none the less very creepy as any large, old, deteriorating building would be. And there were still old bed frames and what not in there. But it was truly amazing! Of course we went during the daylight hours and we were on a tour but it was awesome! Back in the day they used to have roof top dances under the stars. I would love to go again now that I'm older so that I could appreciate it even more!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,764 times
I was just there this past Friday actually. My buddy and I have been hearing about this place since high school and figured it was time. We explored the 1st 2nd and 4th and roof just about fully from about 1:30 to 3:30 but didn't have any experiences. However we never made it into the basement which really had a creepy vibe to it... probably because its a basement. Either way I wish they'd do something with the place its amazing, it may be too late though there's a ton of water damage and a few collapsed sections. We plan on going back and possibly visiting the abandoned mansion/big houses near by along with the basement.
There's talks of a haunted alter near by also. If anyone knows more about this alter please let me know its sounds interesting. Stories exist of people seeing apparitions and cars not starting when within a certain distance I'd love to hear more.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Did the Eastman dentistry building. It was cool but I did not get a haunted vibe. It is an organized haunted house with actors.Very fun though.
Did the Valentown museum in Victor. That was pretty cool. They let you have free range on the property. It has the museum which is kinda like a mall from the 1800s, the house and the woods. You get evp meters and a listening device. I highly recommend it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 PM

99 posts, read 228,090 times
If you are interested in folklore and history of this part of the world, pick up anything you can by Carl Carmer, a great writer from the 1950's. I especially recommend "Creature of a Highly-Wrought Fancy" about a Polish revolutionary from the 1830s who led a few dozen New York farmboys in a military expedition to free Canada from British tyranny (no lie). Carmer's father was a school principal in Danville, I believe.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:25 AM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Did the Eastman dentistry building. It was cool but I did not get a haunted vibe. It is an organized haunted house with actors.Very fun though.
Did the Valentown museum in Victor. That was pretty cool. They let you have free range on the property. It has the museum which is kinda like a mall from the 1800s, the house and the woods. You get evp meters and a listening device. I highly recommend it.
I met Mr. Fisher, the now-deceased former owner of that property some years ago. Very nice man who is credited with researching and then preserving Native history in Upstate, NY. He worked closely with the RMSC shortly after its inception, and was involved in hundreds of archaeological digs across the state, in fact he was the leader and planner of most he was involved with.

I think it's Boughton Hill where the Gonondagan site is located. Fisher was instrumental in preserving that in the 60's, as well as a few other sites. Places close to there where he excavated and archived are a little off 96 before you get to Victor, and up Church St. where it becomes Victor-Egypt Rd., past the Thruway. That area was vacant until about 10 years ago. It's where the French camped before they were ambushed by the Seneca, as the former marched towards Gonondagan in the late 1600's.

That whole area is kinda spooky, when it's foggy out, although I'm not much of a believer in ghosts and whatnot.

Holy Sepulchre off Lake Ave. is eerie at night, especially when it's foggy in the Spring.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
I met Mr. Fisher, the now-deceased former owner of that property some years ago. Very nice man who is credited with researching and then preserving Native history in Upstate, NY. He worked closely with the RMSC shortly after its inception, and was involved in hundreds of archaeological digs across the state, in fact he was the leader and planner of most he was involved with.

I think it's Boughton Hill where the Gonondagan site is located. Fisher was instrumental in preserving that in the 60's, as well as a few other sites. Places close to there where he excavated and archived are a little off 96 before you get to Victor, and up Church St. where it becomes Victor-Egypt Rd., past the Thruway. That area was vacant until about 10 years ago. It's where the French camped before they were ambushed by the Seneca, as the former marched towards Gonondagan in the late 1600's.

That whole area is kinda spooky, when it's foggy out, although I'm not much of a believer in ghosts and whatnot.

Holy Sepulchre off Lake Ave. is eerie at night, especially when it's foggy in the Spring.
He did a great job with it. There were lots of artifacts and most were well preserved.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
I can't believe nobody mentioned the old Rochester Physc Center. Go walk around that place at night and I'm sure you'll get a case of the goosebumps. Even more so if you can find a way inside (without getting caught that is)

South Avenue at Elmwood Avenue - Rochester Wiki

Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,447,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I can't believe nobody mentioned the old Rochester Physc Center. Go walk around that place at night and I'm sure you'll get a case of the goosebumps. Even more so if you can find a way inside (without getting caught that is)

South Avenue at Elmwood Avenue - Rochester Wiki
That's been 'infiltrated', before, however I wouldn't recommend folks trespass on properties. Last I knew most of the facility is vacant, and there are tunnels underneath. I think some of them run to other buildings.

That site was an Army base for years, a long time ago. You can kinda tell by how the old buildings look, in fact some of the old barracks are still there.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM

170 posts, read 286,687 times
How about the Reunion Inn/restaurant on Culver Rd. in Irondequoit ( across from Sea Breeze)? Definitely haunted- many of the people who work there will share their stories. Been in the basement there myself..... and it is a scary place! My brother-in-law (mid-40's) swears he was approached by the ghost about 20 years ago. He won't go in the basement- too scared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area