Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:40 PM

32 posts, read 135,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehulil View Post
Hey

I am looking forward to the summer in rochester and also the festivals.
Thanks for all the info ppl

Cheers
Hi Mehulil,

There is a large Indian-American community in this area. You might consider visiting the following links, for local networking opportunities:
The India Community Center of Rochester Inc.
Rochester Indian Association

Welcome to Rochester, and have a great trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 35,474 times
If I were you, I'd look for something in Irondequoit. It's actually right down the street. I worked across the parking lot from RGH at the Wilson Medical Center. Within one block south, you run into a pretty bad neighborhood. However 2 blocks north and you're in Irondequoit. It's a tight knit community, where people walk their pets and kids ride their bikes. Houses are affordable in the sub 100k range. Welcome

Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 PM

6 posts, read 12,568 times
Hello everyone

Thank you all so much for all the info.
I will be most probably be moving into Meadow Oaks apartment on Buell Drive (is that Irondeqouit and is it safe ?
I will get most of the furniture i need from nearby - walmart mebe

Does any one have ne advice on a good Internet provider and mebe a cable service ??

Any other advice/ recommendations ?

Cheers

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 AM

32 posts, read 135,989 times
Default Cable and Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehulil View Post
Hello everyone

Thank you all so much for all the info.
I will be most probably be moving into Meadow Oaks apartment on Buell Drive (is that Irondeqouit and is it safe ?
I will get most of the furniture i need from nearby - walmart mebe

Does any one have ne advice on a good Internet provider and mebe a cable service ??

Any other advice/ recommendations ?

Cheers
Mehulil,

Internet Providers:
You have two options: Frontier DSL or Time Warner Roadrunner (Cable)
FIOS is not available in the Rochester metro

TV:
Time Warner has a monopoly on cable here. It's convenient, but relatively expensive; about $85 for basic cable TV.

I use Dish Network, but have a Time Warner Turbo connection for my home office, and for accessing Dish content and Netflix over the internet.

Satellite TV offers the best service in this area - with Dish Network being the best overall value. You should consult with the apartment complex manager to see what options are available for you.

All of the major local stations are on Satellite. Satellite or over-the-air local stations offer the best local news coverage. Time Warner consolidated YNN Rochester (former NEWS) with the YNN Buffalo studio last year, and the quality of their "local news" content has degraded as a result.

If you are going to be on a budget, consider getting Roadrunner internet service, and then just use an HTPC or an Internet TV box to watch TV over the internet, and an indoor antenna for the local stations.

Your apartment choice looks good. It's a decent location in a safe neighborhood. You'll be within walking distance of Rochester General, and conveniently close to the Keeler Street Expressway and the shopping of Ridge Road East.

You'll also be close to Kings Highway, which leads north to Durand Eastman Park.

Welcome to Rochester. Enjoy your stay.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 PM

192 posts, read 531,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Coast View Post
Mehulil,
If you are going to be on a budget, consider getting Roadrunner internet service, and then just use an HTPC or an Internet TV box to watch TV over the internet, and an indoor antenna for the local stations.
I just use the DTV convertor box/indoor antenna, which costs about $30, you can get about 10 stations for free with that. It’s fine for me, the only stations I watch are PBS and TheCoolTv anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area