Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 23,733 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to an area near Rochester and find some IT work. I went to school at SUNY Geneseo, graduated in May, 2009. How is the market up there? I've seen a lukewarm response at best to my efforts so far. I'd love to hear of anyone that knows an organization looking for some IT/Network help.

What areas of Rochester are nice? I remember seeing parts of it that didn't look particularly safe and parts of it that looked beautiful.

What is the typical rent range for a two bedroom apartment. I don't need to be in the city. I'd be willing to go about as far out as my alma mater.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Saying you're in IT is pretty broad. Are you in programming/development? Network Admin? Helpdesk?

We have a Database Architect position open in my company. Here's the posting:

Database Architect - One Communications - Rochester NY

Heres the position incase the link doesnt work for some reason. Looks like it formatted goofy so ignore the font size crap

Job Title Database Architect
Date Posted 7/13/2010
Location Rochester, NY
Job Type Contract Full-Time
Position Id 10-729
Job Description [SIZE=2]The qualified candidate must be an IT professional with minimum 5+ years in information technology and minimum 3+ years in a data warehouse environment. Experience with business intelligence tools, data loading and cleansing and reporting applications is a must. The Software Engineer II will work with Data Warehouse personnel to gather business requirements, design, code, and test DW reporting solutions, implement applications/processes into production and troubleshoot existing processes; actual Oracle/SQL Server database, Web based reporting solutions, and Telecom industry background would be required for this position.[/SIZE]

Specific Technical/Functional Accountabilities:

[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Develop and follow standards for data warehouse.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Create and maintain relationship diagrams[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Create and maintain DDL and DML scripts[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Must possess the ability to work in a team environment and have strong communications skills.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Designing, writing, and/or enhancing applications according to specifications.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Strong knowledge of development environments, programming languages, programming standards, system structures and specifications[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Planning and executing unit tests[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Provide support for applications developed and be able to resolve problems encountered.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Environments: Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, UNIX, AS400 and SQL (Oracle), PL/QL, Business Intelligence Tools, Data Warehouse design and development[/SIZE]

Required Skills/Competencies:

• [SIZE=2]College degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Three to five years of work experience in the role.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Experience with at least 2 of the following: Systems analysis, SQL (Oracle), PL/SQL, Business Intelligence tools used in a Data Warehouse platform.[/SIZE]
  • Desire to learn new skills, be challenged and have growth potential.
  • [SIZE=2]Ability to multi-task and manage priorities in a team environment.[/SIZE]
  • Proven ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
  • Solid organizational and time management skills.
  • [SIZE=2]Ability to work in a large multi-instance, multi-server environment.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Experience with fast-paced, time-constrained development teams.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=2]Excellent oral and written communication skills, both technical and user focused.[/SIZE]

Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM

You're right. IT was a little bit too general. My specialty is networking. I also have experience with Linux servers. I'd be willing to do helpdesk or support as well.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:45 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This website might help too: Central New York Jobs

Old 07-28-2010, 09:24 AM

191 posts, read 946,292 times
I have a degree in IT from RIT. I graduated recently and actually left the Rochester area since the job market was flaky at best. There are some places hiring (I'm more web/database than networking though), but the jobs weren't the best, pay was so-so, and benefits were moderate.

I know most of us recent IT grads left the area since the job market for IT isn't the best there. The big companies like Kodak, IBM, etc. aren't hiring (actually most are downsizing). I was just too worried about job security to stay there.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
The problem with jobs now days is you can have a bachelors degree with no experience and they WONT hire you but if someone comes along with an Associates and about 3+ years they could end up getting picked first. My fiancee has a job offer from wegmans as an analyst (With only an associates) but we are staying down in Tampa for the time being. I suggest doing internships and more work experience before trying to get an IT job anywhere.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
I agree that networking/desktop support/etc. is pretty weak around here, especially compared to web development and programming. Finding a full time job will be tough for sure, so (I cannot believe I am saying this) you might want to get your name and resumes out to the recruiters (Ajilon, Comforce, TekSystems) just to get some leads. I'd definitely recommend networking in things like the August group, DigitalRochester, and Rochester Young Professionals. I guess if I had to come up with an industry, I'd say focus on the telecom companies and credit unions. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone, and sorry for the late responses.

I'm going to try hard to find full-time work, but I'm not against doing some contract work for the short term. I've heard some good and bad things about the recruiting agencies, but if I get there and need work, it's always an option.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 PM

200 posts, read 604,932 times
I've been working in the IT industry in Rochester for the last 10 years, and in the last three years I've watched the company I work for cut job after job after job, and watch the guys & gals that used to work with me take jobs that paid $12/hr, become bartenders / waitresses, or leave the area. Your best hope is to find a small up and coming company and start there. Looking for a secure job with a big company probably isn't something you'll find here, at least not now.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM

99 posts, read 228,161 times
As to normal range of rents, a two bedroom apartment in a typical double city house in a good area usually runs from about $650 to $750 + utilities. Park Avenue and desirable suburbs could cost a little more than that. If you see a two bedroom apartment advertised for less than $650, take a careful look around before leasing it. Apartment complexes have their own pricing schedule if you don't mind that kind of living arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area