Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,285 times

Advertisements

So, I was just offered a job in Rochester. I live in NC right now, so I'm doing pretty much all of my searching online. I have a budget of around 500 - 600, I'm looking for a studio, or a 1 br, though from what I can tell that may be a stretch on my budget. I'll be moving around the second week of January, so it's a bit of a quick turnaround as well (I was offered the job just before Christmas.)

I'd like to live around Monroe, Park, East... South Wedge, somewhere in that general area. I would just like to be within walking distance of a few things. I'm 24, and don't know anyone besides those I'll be working with, so I'd like that ease of being able to go out and walk around. If there are any other areas you can recommend that would be great... I'm an artsy person, I love festivals and shows, good food, laid back. I am not a big partier or anything like that, I prefer time with close friends.

I have contacted a few places already, but they all seem so desperate to get me to sign a lease asap, which makes me nervous.

A lot of the apartments I've liked are with Hanna Properties, Round Hill Pacific, or on Rentrochester.com. I would like to live in an old apartment building as opposed to a unit in a house, I just love the atmosphere of them and it also goes back to being around people, and being able to meet more people. So if you have any input on any of those companies that would be really helpful, Hanna specifically I've read a lot of negative reviews online but fell in love with the Whittier based on the photos and after talking to them about a specific unit.

Thanks so much for your help!

PS this is my first post, eek! I have been doing a lot of research and perusing the forum, which I will still be doing, I just wanted to put some of my specifics out there. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Sorry to hear you're moving from there to here, most people look to do just the opposite. Hope you're ready for a huge disappointment.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 PM

317 posts, read 826,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Sorry to hear you're moving from there to here, most people look to do just the opposite. Hope you're ready for a huge disappointment.

OverTaxed...you are a local...help em out.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
I just looked at the Hanna Properties and they are all located primarily on South Goodman on either side of Park Avenue. This is a PRIME location. Many young people live in this area and regardless of if you live in a house or an apartment building you will have a lot to do and be in a very short walk of dining/entertainment/bars/nightlife/galleries/shopping/coffee shops.... it is a great spot and a lot of the apartments do go quick. It is a hot spot.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You could possibly check here, as well: Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

MapsKrieg - Rochester, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
OverTaxed...you are a local...help em out.
Local to the suburbs, not the downtrodden disgraceful downward spiraling hole that is the city of Rochester.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM

317 posts, read 826,093 times
Quote:
Local to the suburbs, not the downtrodden disgraceful downward spiraling hole that is the city of Rochester.
Is there anything you like about the city you could share?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Is there anything you like about the city you could share?
Don't sweat it. You get this quite a bit from people in Upstate NY in regards to their cities. Especially if they haven't lived anywhere else. Many that have can put things into proper perspective, as they have at least experienced other places and can look at the pros and cons of different places.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 AM

7 posts, read 16,723 times
Hey -- I'm a graduate student here myself. I moved here from NYC (I worked there for four years) and before that I lived lots of other places. I love Rochester. It reminds me of the city in which I grew up (in the Midwest) -- people complain about it a lot, but like in any good college town, there are lots of areas with good bars, restaurants, other things. You are looking in the right areas for housing. Some things I wish I had known: 1) think really carefully about how much you are willing to pay for covered parking if you plan on driving a lot (it's really hard to find covered parking here, but it also snows a LOT); 2) make sure you check with the landlord about the average price of utilities and how well-insulated your house is, because even if the average seems low or reasonable, it might be that the house is kind of cold to study in comfortably even if you pay out your nose all winter (I find myself in that situation). Otherwise, I recommend Park Ave. or Southwedge. Good luck! PM me if you have questions.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
This is very, very rude and unhelpful. Might want to consider maturing a little bit before trying to offer "advice" to people's unique situations instead of childish tongue and cheek fly-by remarks.

To the OP, I moved to Rochester from Raleigh in 2007. Granted, I was born here and simply moved away for a while before coming back, but I'm familiar with both areas. Most of the apartments in the area you are looking are going to be upstairs units in former single family turn of the century era houses. I'm not familiar with rental rates but I don't think you should have too hard a time finding what you are looking for. If you are looking for a more conventional apartment complex, you may want to consider looking into the suburb of Brighton. There are some decent apartments there that are more modern and thus have better insulation (you'll note another thread talking about how drafty some of the apartments in the older homes can be), but still be very close to the culture of the Park Avenue and Monroe Avenue areas of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area