Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,989 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will need to find an apartment as soon as possible. I know the areas that are generally considered safe. At this point, there are few apartments in those areas (at least within my budget). So, in order to decide in such short time, I will appreciate recommendations on specific streets around the so-so areas of the city that might still be safe; or, alternatively your opinions on where I should NOT live. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 AM

Just in case it helps, I forgot to mention that we are a couple of graduate students.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 AM

99 posts, read 228,106 times
what is your budget?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:30 AM

I'd prefer all util. for around $695.00

Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 65,226 times
If you could post a short list of the streets/areas you are considering we can narrow it down from there.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:14 AM

DoulaSue, thanks for the idea!

I am unsure about:
-The streets on the South Wedge area, particularly Averill
-Alexander St (various buildings there)
-North Mt. Hope
-The areas around lower Monroe Ave, Meigs St and Pearl St.
-and Clinton Ave in downtown (actually, in general, I'm less familiar with the downtown area)

Old 11-30-2010, 09:31 PM

99 posts, read 228,106 times
You should be able to find a pretty spacious two bedroom on aq great street in the southwedge/elwanger berry for about $650, which with utilities would put you just a little over your stated budget. You might be able to make up the difference by negotiating to handle the snow removal in winter and lawn in spring and summer. You may also be able to swing a very large one bedroom, which could go for $550 + utilities in that area. In fact, I am renting a really nice two bedroom occupied by a long-term tenant for that amount ($650) on Oakland Street. I would check Cayuga, Whitmore, the north end of Mt. Vernon, Oakland, Linden, Caroline and Benton Streets. I would also consider most of the streets in Swillburg, across Goodman. In short, I think you can do better than most of the streets you list for that price point. Culver-Winton is another option. There are plenty of two bedroom apartments there in double homes for $650+ and again you might be able to negotiate away the extra $50-$75 in utility costs. I would consider Akron, Illinois, Kansas, Grand (east of Culver), Humboldt, Marion, Floverton east Main (starting in about the 1900 block) etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area