Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 09:30 AM

26 posts, read 65,251 times

Advertisements

Rochester has been consistently ranked as one of the BEST places to live in the nation. It's on the list for 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
But this is simply not happening and I don't think will ever happen due to cost of doing business in NYS ... and it's just not one factor, it's a complexity of many as you mention. Unfortunately, I don't seeing this changing in my working lifetime. It's been talked about for as long as I can remember and as far as I see, the situation is just becoming worse.
I wonder what places would be "better" right now, as some states are hurting in other areas worse than NY? I think this economy has pulled the covers off of many things we thought was the case, but really isn't, imo.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I wonder what places would be "better" right now, as some states are hurting in other areas worse than NY? I think this economy has pulled the covers off of many things we thought was the case, but really isn't, imo.
North Dakota? J.K J.K they are the only ones with a so called "thriving economy"

Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 PM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSue View Post
Rochester has been consistently ranked as one of the BEST places to live in the nation. It's on the list for 2010.
It is a great place to live if you have a job ... but a tough place to find a good job once you don't have one anymore.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy1 View Post
It is a great place to live if you have a job ... but a tough place to find a good job once you don't have one anymore.

People really need to try harder for jobs. Sitting home and complaining there are no jobs is ridiculous especially since Ny is in the bottom 20 for Unemployment.. If my 18 year old cousin can get hired at Bausch and Lomb as a Secretary with not job history that makes me sure that people just arent trying hard enough. Try living in a state where there really are no jobs (California, Florida, Rhode Island, New Jersey, DC) and the unemployment keeps getting worse. NYS and Rochesters unemployment keeps getting better.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:33 PM

200 posts, read 604,932 times
You both have points, but I think there's a huge difference between a job and a career - OTNY's dad had a career. Cheerbaby's daughter found a job. There have been occaisions when I've had two or three "jobs" at the same time. Obviously, at 47, that really isn't an option. There are "careers" out there, but they are hard to find. "Jobs", on the contrary, are fairly easy. OTNY, no need to insult my man. I'm not trying to tell you how to live, but come on man, relax. I agree with you on much of what you say, and you can say whatever you want about others' opinions, but there's no need for name-calling. In debate, that tends to make people, even those who agree with you, wary of taking your side.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:45 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,450,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Bingo, huuuuge difference between working for 9 bucks an hour in a temp position job and a career where you can make a wage to support your family on. Cheerbaby doesn't realize this though. Maybe she's living in some fantasy land where she knows what she's talking about. In fact, I would love to have her not only tell my dad it's easy to find a good paying job, but also all of the out-of-work ex-Kodakers who are all fighting each other like mad to outshine the next guy for the next job available that offers at least $30k a year. I'm sure they would love to hear her explanation, since they're all obviously doing something wrong.

As far as people taking my side, I could care less if some blowhard who doesn't know how it REALLY is out there decides to not take my side because I called someone out openly as stupid and ignorant. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a debate when one person has no idea what conditions are like and bases their opinion strictly off of numbers and 2 crude examples.

Thanks again for proving my point!
On a related note, some years ago, before I was married and settled down, I'd hang out at a bar a friend runs in downtown Rochester. I met all kinds of people, there, although most were locals, mostly under the age of 35 (I was around 25 at the time).

A few folks had moved from Toledo to Rochester, and one girl worked at Kodak at a facility of theirs adjacent to Mt. Read/Ridgeway, doing some kind of do-nothing office work. Granted, this was right before the '00-'01 recession, when Rochester had a short period of job growth, but she mentioned something about how she couldn't understand the "locals" talking out loud about the economy, there, and the downfall of Kodak. Needless to say she lost her job, shortly thereafter, and she and her boyfriend moved on to a different place. I guess Rochester looks great to someone from a broken-down, Midwestern town, but that's not exactly the standard Rochester wants to be judged by, IMHO.

When qualified, smart, educated people can't find well-paying jobs in a place which claims to pride itself on its "educated" and "skilled" workforce, there's a problem. There are only so many $30K/yr. jobs to go around for Brockport, Fredonia, and Fisher grads (sorry, had to throw that in there) and, quite frankly, I wouldn't want to work around a lot of those people. One girl we know has a master's in mechanical engineering from RPI, and had to leave Rochester 5 years ago because her $8/hr. job wasn't paying the bills. Another friend with an M.S. in stats had to leave after being laid off from Kodak; he couldn't find one company in the entire NE which was willing to hire him, despite his incredible skills set. The list goes on.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Bingo, huuuuge difference between working for 9 bucks an hour in a temp position job and a career where you can make a wage to support your family on. Cheerbaby doesn't realize this though. Maybe she's living in some fantasy land where she knows what she's talking about. In fact, I would love to have her not only tell my dad it's easy to find a good paying job, but also all of the out-of-work ex-Kodakers who are all fighting each other like mad to outshine the next guy for the next job available that offers at least $30k a year. I'm sure they would love to hear her explanation, since they're all obviously doing something wrong.

As far as people taking my side, I could care less if some blowhard who doesn't know how it REALLY is out there decides to not take my side because I called someone out openly as stupid and ignorant. As far as I'm concerned, it's not a debate when one person has no idea what conditions are like and bases their opinion strictly off of numbers and 2 crude examples.

Thanks again for proving my point!

Sorry your father cant find a a job but it doesnt mean other people cant.

My fiancee has a well paying job in Rochester starting in december making 65,000 a year fresh out of college at Wegmans. So yes you can find a good well paying job if you look hard enough and push for it.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Maybe this would help: Central New York Jobs

Old 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM

350 posts, read 1,091,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
People really need to try harder for jobs. Sitting home and complaining there are no jobs is ridiculous especially since Ny is in the bottom 20 for Unemployment.. If my 18 year old cousin can get hired at Bausch and Lomb as a Secretary with not job history that makes me sure that people just arent trying hard enough. Try living in a state where there really are no jobs (California, Florida, Rhode Island, New Jersey, DC) and the unemployment keeps getting worse. NYS and Rochesters unemployment keeps getting better.

You are out of touch with what it is like trying to maintain a professional career in Rochester and saying that people are not trying hard enough. The classes at outplacement centers are filled with professional middle-age people who can't find professional career jobs. Yes, if I was willing to settle for a job that totally underutilized my skills and experience, was not fulfilling, and paid half my previous salary, I'd still be in Rochester. Many people are willing to settle for that so they can stay in Rochester. Different strokes for different folks. I chose to relocate and had no trouble getting another job in my field, with a professional-level salary, great benefits, and better career growth opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area