Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,002 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am desperately looking for a good advice...

Me and my small son (4 years old) are moving to Rochester, NY after I signed a work contract with the Rochester General Hospital.
I know that area around the hospital is not particularly safe, and there are no good apartment complexes/schools there too (is this true?)

The dilemma is that I don't want to live very far from the hospital in order to avoid driving in snow (not a good driver, and my work hours are going to be crazy, very tiring long shifts sometimes).

Is there any good alternative? How bad living with a child in the area around the Rochester General can be? I am a single mother, and want to be able to manage as much as I can...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
as soon as you cross ridge road, it gets better as you are in the suburbs. There are apartment complexes nearby in Irondequoit that are plenty safe.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM

270 posts, read 468,276 times
Where are you moving from? How much are you looking to spend for monthly rent? Rochester general is a great hospital and you will enjoy this community a lot. Rochester is an extremely family oriented town.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:26 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
agreed, you could probably find a decent rental in Irondeqoit and be in a very safe kid-friendly neighborhood and still be very close to the hospital.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
You could also consider Webster - the area right over the Bay closest to Rochester (West Webster). The commute would be really easy and quick - just hop on Rt 104 and in less than 10 minutes you get off at Portland and you're right at Rochester General. There are lots of housing options in Webster, many reasonably priced. There are some very reasonably priced homes in the West Webster area off of Dewitt Rd (that runs parallel to Bay Road). It is a very, very safe area - and modest homes (i.e., small capes and ranches) are very plentiful in the West Webster area. It does get more snow around that area - BUT, it is cleared very quickly and the short commute will absolutely be worth it. I think that Webster schools may be a bit better than Irondequoit. There is a grammar school right on Dewitt Road (right where most of the more modest homes are) - it's a wonderful area and very pretty. It's very residential right around there, and then you only need to go up Bay Road a couple miles (just south of Rt 104) and there is Wegmans and a couple plazas that have everything you need for day-to-day living.

(I used to live in West Webster and commuted in to the area right near Rochester General - so I can personally attest to the very short commute. It's a really nice area to live. Plus, you'll never hit traffic on that way in! All the traffic is on the RT 590 south out of Webster.)

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,798 times
Just looked at your note again and I see that you're looking for apartment complexes - I think you can still find some in Webster - just may have to look closely. I know that there's a nice garden apartment complex on Bay Road. Perhaps there may also be homes for rent available too that you can consider.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Aren't there also parts of Penfield that are pretty close too? With that said, Irondequoit in the,East Irondequoit SD would probably be the best choice in terms of the very short commute and the schools being good.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-31-2011 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

145 posts, read 193,684 times
I was raised in that area. You go north from Rochester General 1-3 miles and you are in West Irondequoit which has plenty of apartment choices to choose from and one of the best school districts in the region.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,002 times
Thanks a lot to everyone for valuable inputs! I am fairly new to the U.S, and right now live in Seattle, which I really like.
I was looking at a price range of $800-1000. It is interesting how a distance of about 3 miles can make a significant change in terms of safety. I would really prefer to live closest to the hospital, since there is a daycare on its territory as well, but seems like it is not the best option. I will start looking at Irondeqouit area above Ridge Rd, and West Webster.
Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
I was raised in that area. You go north from Rochester General 1-3 miles and you are in West Irondequoit which has plenty of apartment choices to choose from and one of the best school districts in the region.
Correct about West Irondequoit and that's my fault about stating the wrong SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area