Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 04:43 PM

24,008 posts, read 19,443,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Because if I cared about this crime stuff, I’d watch Cops or any other number of trashy TV shows rather than come here.

Are you not here right now?

And with due respect independent man, is there a show you can recommend ("trashy" or up to your bourgeois standards) about the criminal element in Providence? Even if the answer was yes, some of us have interest in a live discussion of what's happening in the streets right now (as well as potential relocation inquirers who might find that more useful than a "TV sitcom"). I respectfully ask that you leave this discussion to that.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:52 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,809,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Are you not here right now?

And with due respect independent man, is there a show you can recommend ("trashy" or up to your bourgeois standards) about the criminal element in Providence? Even if the answer was yes, some of us have interest in a live discussion of what's happening in the streets right now (as well as potential relocation inquirers who might find that more useful than a "TV sitcom"). I respectfully ask that you leave this discussion to that.
No “due respect” needed. Guess I would seem boogie by the standards of these low rent crime threads. By the way, you use the word respect way too often. It’s not genuine & unseemly.

Last edited by independent man; 12-15-2020 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Salmon View Post
BTW, Cops is no longer on TV.
Oh, I'm sure in the bowels of cable television, the show's been replaced many time over.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
There's more to it than what they're admitting to. I was on another forum posting crime stories (in a thread dedicated to crime, mind you) from my city and certain types would just get crazy mad about it.
Even though the criminals in the stories were from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, they somehow equated it with 'racism' and me being 'racist,' which had nothing to do with me posting the stories. There were probably other factors as well.
Oh yes there's one or two in every forum.

As for the "other factors" well, probably shouldn't go there right now.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure in the bowels of cable television, the show's been replaced many time over.
Didn't they, or aren't they bringing it back? What is your issue with COPS? It has won countless awards, and one of the longest running shows on TV.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:08 AM

18,895 posts, read 9,937,852 times
Quote:
Guess I would seem boogie by the standards of these low rent crime threads.
You could start a high rent thread, whatever that means, if this thread is so below you.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:34 PM

4,513 posts, read 3,324,699 times
My problem with the thread is that it's so misleading. Intentionally so, I think.

You know the saying "Don't start none, wont be none"?

That's crime in RI. Original posters are trying to scare regular people, when in reality the victims are usually criminals who screwed over other criminals. This stuff never touches regular folk.

If they wanted to hit on something more impactful to the average person it would be "Some A-hole threw trash in my yard...AGAIN". Or "Someone beeped at me as soon as the light turned green". Not stories of stabbings or murder.

It's really not a picture of everyday life, just lurid tabloid stuff BS

Old 12-17-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
My problem with the thread is that it's so misleading. Intentionally so, I think.
It's really not a picture of everyday life, just lurid tabloid stuff BS
Intentionally misleading indeed. The creepy stuff meant for early morning cable tv or other lurid social media - but not as well done & with a much smaller audience. Usually an audience here of 2 or 3 (who will admit it).

Of course, criminal on criminal crime bleeds the most, so it bleeds here on this little RI forum. It says next to nothing about everyday life in Rhode Island. Even everyday life in most of the poor minority/majority neighborhoods trashed by inference.

But, I'm sure it scares some away from our state, which is no more unsafe than any other & safer than many. This may or may not be the intention of such threads. There could be different or multiple intentions involved depending on the "crime reporter's" location & circumstances. Don't expect it to go away, because it only takes a laptop in a basement to easily regurgitate these sensational cut/paste piles.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I doubt the OP is trying to scare regular people ... Some people simply like discussing crime. I guess you don't consider people who live in the neighborhoods where most of these crimes occur as 'regular people.' Nice.
These crimes affect everybody.
If poor people living in poor neighborhoods aren't "regular people", what kind of people are they?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:13 AM

4,513 posts, read 3,324,699 times
Quote:
I doubt the OP is trying to scare regular people ... Some people simply like discussing crime. I guess you don't consider people who live in the neighborhoods where most of these crimes occur as 'regular people.' Nice.
These crimes affect everybody.
I live in the neighborhood where these crimes occur. I guess you don't. I know the OP doesn't. And I've never been shot or stabbed; this thread gives the perception that's going to be my fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island