Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 08:38 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,677,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
We all bring our slice of prospective by what we know. It seems your position, for whatever reason, is to provide a counter point, lest anyone should suggest RI might actually be a decent place to live. Rhode Island's numerable positives & shortcomings, are scarcely hidden here.

Some newcomers may take a pass on Rhode Island after reading these cut/paste "crime reports". That will be their decision. Others, perhaps a bit sharper, will see the creepy thread for what it is: No more than a two person self-important crime obsession. Whatever floats your boat.
The last thing ever mentioned by the six or seven homers on this forum are Rhode Island's "shortcomings". You're too insecure, too reflexively defensive to allow for objectivity. Fortunately, this forum gets precious few seriously considering a move to Rhode Island, but would you rather they have only your side of the story?

Old 10-25-2020, 08:49 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Murder in Providence today.

A person who had been stabbed was dropped off at the fire station on Atwells Ave. Not many details at this point.

Something happened on Swiss Street in the Federal Hill neighborhood, but it's not clear if that's related.

Man dies after being dropped off at Providence fire station with stab wound
Quote:
Update:

Apparently the murder did happen on Swiss Street.

Providence police investigating deadly Federal Hill stabbing

"Providence police confirm to 12 News they’re investigating a homicide in the city’s Federal Hill neighborhood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWJ8MfsAiWY
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Providence murder suspect arrested in California

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...in-california/

"PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Providence police confirm that a man wanted for the murder of 31-year-old Cory Vargas, was arrested in California.
Major David Lapatin tells 12 News that the suspect, 35-year-old Michael Domenech, was taken into custody in San Diego early Saturday.
According to Jeff Stephenson, Supervisory Border Patrol Agent of the San Diego Sector, around 2 a.m. PST, 5 a.m. EST, a 2015 Lexus sedan approached the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-8 near Pine Valley, Calif.
After a K-9 detection team was alerted to the vehicle, officers attempted approach the driver, who took off from the checkpoint at a high rate of speed.
A tire deflation device was deployed and at least one of the tires on the vehicle was punctured.
The pursuit continued for about 20 minutes until agents were able to perform a Pursuit Intervention Technique (PIT), causing the suspect to come to a stop. Domenech was then taken into custody without incident."

Following his arrest in California, suspect in deadly stabbing faces judge in RI

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...s-judge-in-ri/

"The suspect in last month’s deadly stabbing faced a judge in Rhode Island Friday, according to the Attorney General’s office.
Michael Domenech, 25, was taken into custody in California as a fugitive from justice earlier this month by U.S. Border Patrol while trying to cross into Mexico."

Providence is definitely safer having this perp off the streets.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:31 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Dante Mann's cousin was murdered on the same street (Gallup Street) in South Providence a couple years ago. One of Dante's rap songs is about the cousin getting killed there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Thanks for making my point about your extremely helpful contributions to anyone considering moving here!!! This is something they and us really needed to know.
Quote:
Holly, it sounds like you'd prefer that they not know. Just let them come here, sign a one year lease, and let them find out the hard way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You well know that's not what I implied after I wrote for the ninth time that anyone with any brains at all will check crime stats (which are readily available).

Ok then. You want only positive information posted here because people can find the negative information elsewhere. Sorry, Holly, but the purpose of this forum isn't to pump up your real estate holdings by presenting an incomplete and one-sided view. In my opinion, that's a form of advertising. A dishonest form of advertising, and I'll have no part in those shenanigans. Please don't suggest this again.

Having said that, your participation in this thread is not only welcome but also encouraged.

The main contributors to this thread have done their best to provide accurate and objective information as it becomes available, but everything posted here is certainly open for debate.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
While it might be a nice area, don't forget that this borders Patterson Park which is frequented by quite a few creepy characters after dark (if you know what I mean).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I really don't know what you mean. Are you saying that owners of the beautiful old houses in the Paterson Park neighborhood are creepy characters? Have you been to Paterson Park after dark in some sort of "hot pursuit" and are now bearing witness? Or some other meaning?

Whatever your opaque meaning, this thread has officially jumped the shark.
Quote:
You have it. What's actually "creepy" isn't the beautiful Paterson Park neighborhood, but this thread.

While I stand by my comment that it's a very nice area, massnative's comment isn't out of line in the least.

As you may be aware, Independent Man, it is in close proximity to a well known gay cruising spot. A lot of illicit activity goes on there - including prostitution and drug use/dealing. Many unsavory characters frequent the nearby area.

Concerned neighborhood residents have petitioned to get River Road closed to traffic in an effort to make the area family friendly and safe.

In my opinion, there is nothing beautiful about walking through the woods and seeing creepy older men engaging in sexual acts with young men (often junkies/homeless/prostitutes).

Old 10-25-2020, 02:43 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Concerned neighborhood residents have petitioned to get River Road closed to traffic in an effort to make the area family friendly and safe. In my opinion, there is nothing beautiful about walking through the woods and seeing creepy older men engaging in sexual acts with young men (often junkies/homeless/prostitutes).
In my opinion, you're trafficking in activity perhaps current in the 1990s, not 2020. What, are you tired of trashing the South Side, now giving East Side neighborhoods a shot? Creepy indeed.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, you're trafficking in activity perhaps current in the 1990s, not 2020.

Go there. It's no different in 2020.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:59 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
In my opinion, you're trafficking in activity perhaps current in the 1990s, not 2020. What, are you tired of trashing the South Side, now giving East Side neighborhoods a shot? Creepy indeed.
independent man, nobody is trashing the South Side, East Side, or any "side". Simply stating how things are (for better or worse) while trying to objective and on point. That seems to be a real challenge for you lately, no?

And once AGAIN nobody said the Paterson Park neighborhood isn't nice, those are your own words.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:59 PM

8,031 posts, read 4,702,129 times
Quote:
Go there. It's no different in 2020.
No thanks. On that, I'll have to defer to you. But, I would dispute it being a big negative issue for the neighborhood today. Paterson Park is chock full of families with children. I know a family with kids, who moved to RI Ave. from Barrington several years ago. They love the park & have never mentioned it as a problem.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I would dispute it being a big negative issue for the neighborhood today.

Again, go there. Drive down River Road and see for yourself. You can't miss it.

Old 10-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Pawtucket shooting.

There was a shooting today near the Water Works Car Wash at 930 Main Street in Pawtucket.

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/uUcBfepWZuZVP3xj8

This is less than a mile from the Providence line...and very close to Hope Artiste Village.

Police: Man seriously injured in Pawtucket shooting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.