Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 01:57 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,864,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The team apparently hasn't even formally submitted a proposal to the city/state. It's particularly confusing as to what their motives are for hiring these consultants when no proposal has been submitted. I think they need a consultant to advise them, but only after an official proposal is received.

I wouldn't bank on the consultants sinking it. The first company seems to specialize in getting stadium deals done.

I think we should demand that the taxpayer does not pay to get this done. If the taxpayer does pay to get this done, then the stadium should be publicly owned.
Wouldn't help..

In Stadium Building Spree, U.S. Taxpayers Lose $4 Billion - Bloomberg Business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:20 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,841,662 times
^Good read.

Well it certainly doesn't help on the property tax issue. But it at least keeps the land in public hands. Of course, if the team pulls up stakes and walks away after we've built it for them, then what do we do with the stadium sitting on the land? So maybe public ownership of the stadium is not the right idea.

I reiterate: the team should fund this 100%. If it means they move somewhere else, I wish them well.

That said, again, I don't trust Raimondo, Mattiello, Paiva-Weed, et al. to stop this train on its tracks. How then do we keep the taxpayer whole?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,864,238 times
Quote:
^Good read.

Well it certainly doesn't help on the property tax issue. But it at least keeps the land in public hands. Of course, if the team pulls up stakes and walks away after we've built it for them, then what do we do with the stadium sitting on the land? So maybe public ownership of the stadium is not the right idea.

I reiterate: the team should fund this 100%. If it means they move somewhere else, I wish them well.

That said, again, I don't trust Raimondo, Mattiello, Paiva-Weed, et al. to stop this train on its tracks. How then do we keep the taxpayer whole?
I don't think that either way the taxpayer will be whole. And, unfortunately, I don't think the public is going to have the opportunity to say yea or nay. It's up to the politicians at this point, and we know how well that usually turns out.

Unless I have misread about the project and it's going to end up on a ballot at some point..

Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,225,451 times
Quote:
I reiterate: the team should fund this 100%.
And refund the $12 million the state paid to renovate McCoy fifteen years ago.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM

^well... The lease is only through January 2021, right? I think I heard Skeffington say it is $35,000/year. My guess is they're only on the hook for the balance of the lease. How can you legally justify making them refund the whole $12M? At best, I would think you could hope for a pro rata refund. Did they legally commit to Pawtucket for some number of years in order to get the rehab of McCoy?

But that's exactly the point. We ought to learn from past mistakes. If we pay for anything, the leaders have to put something in place to keep them from leaving town down the road. A poison pill clause, if you will.

It's unlikely that thing is going on the ballot, but it should.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 PM

Skeffington claims it would cost $65M to rehab McCoy.

The construction unions strongly support the plans to build a stadium. I guess they don't care if it is a bad deal for the tax payers, as long as it creates construction jobs.

Raimondo, thankfully, has come out saying the initial proposal 'isn't fair for Rhode Islanders.' Of course, her analysis is pretty obvious so for her to react differently would have been very scary and perhaps political suicide. I would have felt better if she had come out and said taxpayers should not be on the hook for anything.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:53 PM

24,025 posts, read 19,463,272 times
Quote:

The construction unions strongly support the plans to build a stadium. I guess they don't care if it is a bad deal for the tax payers, as long as it creates construction jobs.

Raimondo, thankfully, has come out saying the initial proposal 'isn't fair for Rhode Islanders.' Of course, her analysis is pretty obvious so for her to react differently would have been very scary and perhaps political suicide. I would have felt better if she had come out and said taxpayers should not be on the hook for anything.
Why does McCoy even need to be rehabbed?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:53 AM

^Who knows, not enough luxury amenities?

I heard part of an interview with Skeffington in which I believe he dismissed staying in Pawtucket because it was not an "urban" environment. I think that's a little silly but I guess his point is they want it in a downtown environment and apparently even downtown Pawtucket isn't enough. If so, then all the speculation that Foxboro is in the 'competition' for their new stadium location is wrong. So that leaves Worcester, and possibly Springfield.

Providence metro is the 2nd biggest New England metro area.Providence is a nicer city, the owners have ties here, and it's a much bigger market. We have to remember this when they make the subtle threats of going elsewhere...

Does anyone know the financial situation in Worcester? Are they likely to make a big offer to draw the team into their city?

Hartford metro is bigger than Worcester but they just got a new AA team...

Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM

13,209 posts, read 22,472,138 times
Quote:
^Who knows, not enough luxury amenities?

I heard part of an interview with Skeffington in which I believe he dismissed staying in Pawtucket because it was not an "urban" environment. I think that's a little silly but I guess his point is they want it in a downtown environment and apparently even downtown Pawtucket isn't enough. If so, then all the speculation that Foxboro is in the 'competition' for their new stadium location is wrong. So that leaves Worcester, and possibly Springfield.

Providence metro is the 2nd biggest New England metro area.Providence is a nicer city, the owners have ties here, and it's a much bigger market. We have to remember this when they make the subtle threats of going elsewhere...

Does anyone know the financial situation in Worcester? Are they likely to make a big offer to draw the team into their city?
Worcester has a lot invested in Downtown revitalization. City Square is a $500+ Million project that's been chugging along. They've also rehabbed their transit hub (Union Station) in recent years and seen a bit of a cultural renaissance downtown. It's not Providence by any means (actually, Providence is quite a bit bigger even though city limit populations are similar... Worcester has 39 sq mi and Providence has 18... same people in less than half the area plus PVD has urban neighbors like Pawtucket, Cranston, Warwick, East Prov. Etc).

Worcester would make a strong pitch and claim recent investments in downtown plus a "central" New England location make it ideal. Providence and even Pawtucket is still better, but Worcester has enough going for it to make an interesting offer that the ownership group may consider. They'd probably offer some serious tax breaks.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 AM

9,389 posts, read 15,128,646 times
Quote:

I think Raimondo is probably the first politician we have had who has had the guts to say this at all. I agree that she might have said that taxpayers should not be on the hook for anything, but the fact that she said what she did is very encouraging to me. Most others would have cut fast back room deals and we would have a stadium at any price to the taxpayer.

PS Downtown Worcester has nowhere near the charm of downtown Providence- I've been there often enough to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island