Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 04:29 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times

Advertisements

CNN just published an article about that, with "a case for even split" and a case for "mathing out each person's dinner" in a group eat-out situation.

( Sorry I'm on my phone and can't just copy/paste link)

Even split: the writer proposed one is paying " for the experience of dining out with friends, and the tab for doing so should be evenly split.

Math out each person's tab: the writer proposed it is not up to a frugal or "poorer" person to subsidize the guy/,gal who orders 5 cocktails, appetizers, desserts and an expensive steak or prime rib.

So which way do you go, or which do you think is best or what do you prefer??

To me, I prefer to math out my meal. I don't think I should subsidize a hearty eater, nor do I expect to get more than I pay for.

Even if I pay for the "experience", ( like Disney world and Hawai'i) I can find cheaper ways to have the "experience". It needn't cost a fortune...just because it's an "experience"!!

I was a cook in 2 different 4 star restaurants, so YES, I can cook great, and even for a large party I have here at home, I usually cook and serve restaurant style, not "family style".

I am frugal by nature, we can't afford a dinner out some of you can, and often what I choose to order is low cost. I rarely drink, so I usually do not have a drink, don't care for desserts as a diabetic, and watch my weight ( have lost 90 # in two years since becoming diabetic), so generally I have ice water with lemon and an inexpensive entree ( often cheaper chicken) and I'm content. So I am a "cheap date"!!

Even when my OH and I eat out on occasion, if my OH chooses a more expensive entree, I will purposely order cheap to keep the overall tab lower.

Many of you know I was homeless, and shortly after I was rehomed I met a guy at a support group for something else. He strongly wanted me to go out to his brunch group, and I plainly said I didn't have money at all for that if an entree cost more than$5. That was ALL I had. He said he'd figure out something, and insisted I go. Typically the guys threw a $20 in the center of the table and if much was left over after tab and tip, they divided it or the "treasurer" of the group of 6 held it towards the next brunch of the retired guys.
When we got seated, he was certain to sit beside me in the booth, and poked my thigh and handed me a $20. I pocketed it and when payup time cane, I faked having money for the meal, and threw "my" $20 into the center of the table.

But, I forewent the appetizers, forwent a drink, had ice water with lemon, and ordered a cheap entree. No dessert. He kept asking me "are you SURE you don't want more?" He finally talked me into a dessert, but I still chose the cheap one.
Later on the way to my new drafty "cottage" that I could afford to rent on welfare as I awaited my SSDI, he told me I could"have had anything on the menu". But I said I was happy with all I had, had leftovers to boot.
He commented that "you don't eat much,", and I said when you are homeless and have no money, eating was a tough thing to come by.

So, since I'm a cheap date, I prefer to pay only for what I eat, especially if at an expensive restaurant ( the group of guys above took me to an expensive restaurant...my share was about $11 with tip for pasta entree {cheap}, and dessert,).

So what say you....lets discuss...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I prefer to pay for my meal.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Separate checks. They even do it down here.

Otherwise, just put it the amount YOU spent and give the waiter your own tip directly.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Split even. People who nickel and dime ruin the entire experience (and I am one of the frugal ones, so I would benefit from an actual cost analysis - but I am willing to pay more just to avoid displays of avarice and drama.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:49 PM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
I typically don’t order appetizers, drinks, or dessert, and don’t like paying for others who do all of the above. I don’t mind throwing in a few extra bucks, but have felt taken advantage of one too many times. Now, I ask for a separate check (and ignore the looks), and add a few extra dollars toward the group tip.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:53 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Separate checks unless one person is overly generous and pays for everyone

My brothers always do this for us sisters!

Old 11-09-2019, 05:04 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
My group always gets separate checks. It's easier and I think more fair.

Applebee's makes it easy. When you pay at the table-side tablet, you can pick which items you are paying for, and then pass it over to the next person to pay theirs.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
CNN just published an article about that, with "a case for even split" and a case for "mathing out each person's dinner" in a group eat-out situation.

( Sorry I'm on my phone and can't just copy/paste link)

Even split: the writer proposed one is paying " for the experience of dining out with friends, and the tab for doing so should be evenly split.

Math out each person's tab: the writer proposed it is not up to a frugal or "poorer" person to subsidize the guy/,gal who orders 5 cocktails, appetizers, desserts and an expensive steak or prime rib.

So which way do you go, or which do you think is best or what do you prefer??

To me, I prefer to math out my meal. I don't think I should subsidize a hearty eater, nor do I expect to get more than I pay for.

Even if I pay for the "experience", ( like Disney world and Hawai'i) I can find cheaper ways to have the "experience". It needn't cost a fortune...just because it's an "experience"!!

I was a cook in 2 different 4 star restaurants, so YES, I can cook great, and even for a large party I have here at home, I usually cook and serve restaurant style, not "family style".

I am frugal by nature, we can't afford a dinner out some of you can, and often what I choose to order is low cost. I rarely drink, so I usually do not have a drink, don't care for desserts as a diabetic, and watch my weight ( have lost 90 # in two years since becoming diabetic), so generally I have ice water with lemon and an inexpensive entree ( often cheaper chicken) and I'm content. So I am a "cheap date"!!

Even when my OH and I eat out on occasion, if my OH chooses a more expensive entree, I will purposely order cheap to keep the overall tab lower.

Many of you know I was homeless, and shortly after I was rehomed I met a guy at a support group for something else. He strongly wanted me to go out to his brunch group, and I plainly said I didn't have money at all for that if an entree cost more than$5. That was ALL I had. He said he'd figure out something, and insisted I go. Typically the guys threw a $20 in the center of the table and if much was left over after tab and tip, they divided it or the "treasurer" of the group of 6 held it towards the next brunch of the retired guys.
When we got seated, he was certain to sit beside me in the booth, and poked my thigh and handed me a $20. I pocketed it and when payup time cane, I faked having money for the meal, and threw "my" $20 into the center of the table.

But, I forewent the appetizers, forwent a drink, had ice water with lemon, and ordered a cheap entree. No dessert. He kept asking me "are you SURE you don't want more?" He finally talked me into a dessert, but I still chose the cheap one.
Later on the way to my new drafty "cottage" that I could afford to rent on welfare as I awaited my SSDI, he told me I could"have had anything on the menu". But I said I was happy with all I had, had leftovers to boot.
He commented that "you don't eat much,", and I said when you are homeless and have no money, eating was a tough thing to come by.

So, since I'm a cheap date, I prefer to pay only for what I eat, especially if at an expensive restaurant ( the group of guys above took me to an expensive restaurant...my share was about $11 with tip for pasta entree {cheap}, and dessert,).

So what say you....lets discuss...

Separate checks would be the only rational way to dine with you either as the only other person or in a group. When I have eaten regularly with the same group of people we have informally taken turns paying. I couldn't deal with you. I certainly would not wish to hear your tales of woe.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:06 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,595,514 times
It depends upon the circumstances. If it's a group that meets occasionally for a birthday celebration, I'd do an even split.
If it's a group that does goes out more often and the price differential was large, i.e., I would ask for separate check.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:10 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
If it's a one-time meet up, I'd have everyone pay for themselves.

I've been into the habit before of paying for people who aren't doing as well as I am. Unless it's romantic, I wouldn't pick up the tab for friends often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement