Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 07:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,644 times

Advertisements

I don't care. I am fine with one check and I am fine with separate checks.

It doesn't bother me if we might pay a little more with one check. We have people over at our house all the time for dinner in which case we are paying for everything. It is part of having friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 07:38 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,999,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And a couple of the responses can be seen as a not very humble brag about how some people don't have to be at all concerned about money

I hope it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone that some people like to eat out and can afford it.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM

8,363 posts, read 6,459,263 times
I'm way to cheap to want to pay for others extravagant while I'm moderate.
I was at a buffet type restaurant where you pay before you sit down and the lady behind me in line where you pay said I'll get his too. meaning me. I didn't know her at all. This is a well off neighborhood. I'm old maybe that's why.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:02 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,238,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I hope it doesn't come as a surprise to anyone that some people like to eat out and can afford it.
Not the topic.
I have one friend that barely eats anything and only drinks water.
When a few of us go out, no way in hell am I (or the rest of us) saddling her with an unfair share of our much higher tabs.
I wouldn't doubt that if we did do so, she'd eventually just stop coming out with us.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:18 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,961,337 times
Most of the restaurants we go to ask, and offer separate checks. We generally do the separate checks but sometimes pick up the whole tab for certain friends and family. That way we can order whatever we want. Most of those we dine with are in the same socioeconomic class.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,913,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If you ordered the apps for the table then you should pay for them. You should pay for what you order.
I wasn't always the one that wanted the appetizers. Thanks for making an incorrect assumption. Also if others grab some of the appetizers, you would think they would pitch in something to pay for them.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:18 AM

18,177 posts, read 15,749,883 times
I prefer separate checks but go with whatever is happening and keep track of what I ordered. I've seen ugly restaurant check antics with some of the over 80 set (who are well-off) when visiting my elderly mother in FL, and watching a multi-millionaire quibble over a dollar leaves an impression; one I plan to never emulate.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,257,689 times
If you eat out with the same senior folks very often (which is a good thing to do), its just way easier to get a separate check per couple. If this were a once a year thing.. no problem to split or just one person pay. But.. with an unwritten "senior" rule for separate checks per couple, there is no issue, no worry about what you order compared to what anyone else orders, you dont have to try and remember who paid last time. Just makes life simpler. Places frequented by seniors are also used to this.. not a problem for them.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 AM

6,782 posts, read 5,505,149 times
Ok, OP here.

First I want to thank the moderators who, apparently, kept some vulgar language out of this thread. We never really notice them, unless they have something to say to us, but we should ALL take the time to think of them, and to thank them for a job well done!

Ok, except the snarky comments posts and the comeback posts, all my own posts and the posts that don't specify, I have tallied a few things:

I have 4 "categories":

A) those who say split evenly: 2
B) those for separate checks: 25
C) the ones who said they do both: 8
D) the ones who take responsibility for their drinks or other extras : 5.

Apparently, regardless of socio-economic status, it seems most want separate checks as a matter of principle.

I do like the ones who pay separately for their bar tabs or extra, at least willingly, or begrudgingly, they do see it's not right for someone to subsidize their drinks.

It should be noted that it's not always an economic reason, some can easily afford to split, but it's the fact of those who moderate and those who excess. It's highly doubtful the ones who order drinks, appetizers, entrees and dessert probably rarely eat a full meal of that kind at home all the time. Usually only when eating out does that all happen. If a husband expects that full deal at home, I feel sorry for the wife who has to prepare it all. Ditto for the "house husbands" who may do all the cooking. Even a well balanced meal with, say, meat,starch and veggies, takes three pots and pans, and usually has different timing to get it all to come together at the same time.

I guess lesson here is the next time you gripe about govt spending, think of this exercise.

( Never mind I had a quip typed here, but deleted it)

So: SEPARATE CHECKS wins out!!

Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,791,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'm way to cheap to want to pay for others extravagant while I'm moderate.
I was at a buffet type restaurant where you pay before you sit down and the lady behind me in line where you pay said I'll get his too. meaning me. I didn't know her at all. This is a well off neighborhood. I'm old maybe that's why.
I paid for one of my coworkers, actually he just worked at the same place, but the cashier told me he didn’t pay, so I silently paid for him. However my other coworker saw that and later on told him. He repaid me when we got back to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement