Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 08:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,680,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm puzzled by the use of "avarice" ... wouldn't it be the people who are ordering 2 or 3 times as much as others, but expecting those others to SUBSIDIZE their extra-large meal by saying "Oh let's just split the check!", be the ones being greedy?

I'm with most others here -- separate checks are not that hard to get at most places. And I like this partly because sometimes I am the one ordering extra items, and I want to feel like I can do that without others feeling like they have to pay for part of my meal too.

Asking for separate checks wouldn't ruin the experience. The experience is the meal together, not the 5 minutes it might take at the end to pay for yourselves.

====

Oh, and Phoebe said it well on Friends many years ago ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfawm1KlNWk !
Ha Ha - I thought of it briefly before using - it comes from a particular psychospiritual personality model.

In this use, I was thinking that the people who are actually working on the check with a calculator and all are "greedy" in the sense that they don't want to give up their money (for the benefit of the group).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 08:03 PM

414 posts, read 703,284 times
When I was working, we usually did the even split for lunches out, but nobody really abused it. We had similar meals and no wine or alcohol. In those days that was much the easiest method. But today, with computerized ordering and billing, most restaurants have no problem providing separate checks. That's the fairest way to go.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
It really isn't your business.

It kind of is, since you posted to a public forum.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,570,574 times
I think it's a "know" your audience type of deal. If I'm out my my two best friends, I really don't care if someone orders one cocktail, what's that an extra 3 bucks??
There are times when I get the more expensive dish and there are times when I don't.
Now personally I have not gone out to dinner where someone order 3xs as much as the other diners, lol what were they fasting for two days beforehand?? And I really wonder about some folks on here and there relationship?? Lol I wouldn't dine with people if I though they were running up the bill just because. Who does that?? And again my friends tend to be life long friends, so now I'm going out to dinner with them and squawking because they ordered an appetizer??

If I am dining with coworkers we'll get separate checks.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 11-09-2019 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times
I'm looking forward to the day when checks will be a thing of the past and your total will appear on your phone with a Pay Now button.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 PM

17,720 posts, read 29,923,235 times
Even.
Your goal is to drink more than your even share.
I despise whiners.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Split; however, if some people get alcohol and some don't, the drinkers should separate out the bar tab from the food and split that among themselves.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:42 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,132,902 times
If it is a big deal to determine individual checks based on orders or an even split, perhaps you should save money and eat at home.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,229,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Split; however, if some people get alcohol and some don't, the drinkers should separate out the bar tab from the food and split that among themselves.
Why not dessert and appetizers, too? Combined, thos two often cost more than the entree.

Honor system, ask each diner to round their total to the nearest dollar mentally and add 20%, gather it all up and leave the sum on the tray with the check.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:04 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,533,815 times
I think it depends on how much a difference is involved. If I've gone out with a friend, and if I order something that is $14 and the friend orders something for $13, I would get really turned off if the friend objected to splitting the check. (This happened, with a $140K government worker, who remarked "we should get separate checks since yours was $1 more.)

OTOH, if one of us orders an appetizer, a glass of wine, and a $25 dollar entrée, and the other one orders a hamburger w/fries....definitely, split the check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement