Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:19 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times

Advertisements

Separate checks. I've been in groups where another person's bill is well over 3x mine. I don't care you think it's drama, an even split just isn't fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 05:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
I go out with a group several times a month that varies from eight to sixteen people. Some people eat very lightly (soup or a side dish and water) and others eat really substantial meals (appetizer, entrée, dessert and drinks). We always ask for separate checks. It has never been a problem and everyone is happy. It certainly wouldn't be fair to just split the entire tab equally.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:55 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
I will usually put my drinks (I am not a cheap drinker) on a bar tab which I personally settle. This is a result of someone once complaining about the costs of my drinks. The first time it happened I said not an issue, the entire check is on me. The complainer approached me later and said I did not mean for that to happen. I said no problem but you are cheap and everyone knows it so own it.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 11-10-2019 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: remove vulgar language

Old 11-09-2019, 05:56 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Separate checks would be the only rational way to dine with you either as the only other person or in a group. When I have eaten regularly with the same group of people we have informally taken turns paying. I couldn't deal with you. I certainly would not wish to hear your tales of woe.
Then I, too, would NOT done out with you.

He OFFERED to pay for my share, and knew from the support group what shape my finances were in. In fact he INSISTED I go to this group thing where the ONLY person I knew was him. I felt uncomfortable all around.

No one knew til much later what my life was like. I didn't go to " tell a tale of woe" to anyone.

It really isn't your business.

If I dine out with ANYONE, I insist on separate checks.

Apparently you are well off, and so we probably won't be traveling in the same circle ( unless I meet you in a support group).

You may not know I ended up homeless due to severe chronic medical issues and multiple surgeries, making it impossible to get, keep, or work a job.
And go through all my savings and Retirement too early.

As much as YOU don't "want to hear my tale of woe" I DON'T want to dine with you...rubbing it in my face that you "are ALL THAT" AND lording it over me that YOU are well off.

And, apparently YOU would be one who expects someone less fortunate than you to supplement your higher standard...you probably are one who does order drinks, appetizers, desserts and high price entrees, and expect someone ELSE to "pay (part of) your way". No wonder you have more money than I.

No, I don't need your snobbery. Sorry to hear you have NO compassion for those less fortunate than yourself.

I hope it never happens to you. Then again....maybe I DO.

Good day to you.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 11-09-2019 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Split even. People who nickel and dime ruin the entire experience (and I am one of the frugal ones, so I would benefit from an actual cost analysis - but I am willing to pay more just to avoid displays of avarice and drama.
I'm puzzled by the use of "avarice" ... wouldn't it be the people who are ordering 2 or 3 times as much as others, but expecting those others to SUBSIDIZE their extra-large meal by saying "Oh let's just split the check!", be the ones being greedy?

I'm with most others here -- separate checks are not that hard to get at most places. And I like this partly because sometimes I am the one ordering extra items, and I want to feel like I can do that without others feeling like they have to pay for part of my meal too.

Asking for separate checks wouldn't ruin the experience. The experience is the meal together, not the 5 minutes it might take at the end to pay for yourselves.

====

Oh, and Phoebe said it well on Friends many years ago ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfawm1KlNWk !

Old 11-09-2019, 06:04 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,494,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Separate checks. I've been in groups where another person's bill is well over 3x mine. I don't care you think it's drama, an even split just isn't fair.
"Fair" has less to do with it than "RIGHT".

IF the group is all of the same economic GROUP ( say coworkers from the same salary level) and everyone eats more or less in the same manner, then splitting the tab or rotating who pays would work.

But in life, THAT rarely happens.

It simply is NOT RIGHT for someone to supplement someone else's extravagances. Regardless of ability to pay.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:09 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Large group or small, the restaurant understands ahead of time: Separate checks. Last time they added a mandatory 20% gratuity.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:13 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,772,388 times
I’ve only dined out with my husbands best friend and college roommate, both time we were splitting evenly, IIRC with his roommate. We don’t drink a lot of wine, just a tiny sip, but we were ok with his buddy to order the whole bottle. I know this couple can afford it, he was an executive with a large company in UK. With my husbands best friend, I think I tried to pay most meals, this couple doesn’t have a lot of money. So we let them pay the tea and coffee and we pay the meals.
We don’t eat with a lot of couples either.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm puzzled by the use of "avarice" ... wouldn't it be the people who are ordering 2 or 3 times as much as others, but expecting those others to SUBSIDIZE their extra-large meal by saying "Oh let's just split the check!", be the ones being greedy?

I'm with most others here -- separate checks are not that hard to get at most places. And I like this partly because sometimes I am the one ordering extra items, and I want to feel like I can do that without others feeling like they have to pay for part of my meal too.

Asking for separate checks wouldn't ruin the experience. The experience is the meal together, not the 5 minutes it might take at the end to pay for yourselves.

====

Oh, and Phoebe said it well on Friends many years ago ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfawm1KlNWk !
I also would be the one that orders the most when i go out with a group of other women.

They are the type to only order water with lemon to drink.

Me - bring on the margaritas and appetizers. And yes I share the appetizers and make sure to pay for all that.

I just know they are tight with their money and really no reason to be - just habit i guess. Maybe cuz they have kids and they feel they are drinking and eating their kids inheritance away??

Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,874,740 times
We have a group go out monthly for dinner and we always get separate checks. We don't go there if we can't. We go out for the friendship not showing off how much money we have. We have people from both ends of the financial spectrum and unless someone offers to buy something and share we understand that we pay for what we eat, not what others eat. I rarely, if ever, get an alcoholic beverage. Yes they are expensive but I'm also not much of a drinker. I am on a special diet and can't drink carbonated beverages, anything greasy or high fat, or desserts. Yet there are some who not only order a full bottle of wine, they order appetizers, steak and desserts. Sorry, but I'm not subsidizing that.

Glad there are those of you that have the financial means. I always kind of wince when we take out our DD and SIL because they usually have several drinks and higher priced entrees like crab cakes and steaks. But they also realize that we don't have the financial cushion that they have, so they do treat us more often. Yet we still don't usually get drinks or dessert. We just don't eat them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement