Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 01:44 PM

8,435 posts, read 7,744,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post

Since we lived in Colorado twice, we don't have to go up there during their winter months. Will be driving up in June. Hotel rooms are more expensive, but that's just the way that is. We will stay in Carson City for a few days and then 10 miles south of Reno for another few days.
It's not a matter of seeing Northern Nevada weather in the early spring (March).

It's a matter of seeing whether the area is worth pursuing further or not, so you can move on quickly if it isn't.

Frankly, I'd rather take an hour and a half flight in March over driving 12-14 hours through the desert in the summer heat, especially as you've said you and your wife don't do well in high temperatures. That will be a toasty drive in June.

And again, two full days should be enough for a first look see to determine if Northern Nevada is worth pursuing further.

You spent less time than than in Sheridan before ruling it out.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:49 PM

9,073 posts, read 20,499,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
No camping? Spouse & I aren't as old as you, but we're still camping, good grief.

I still think you should check out both Fallon & Fernley, they are smaller so more quiet & less traffic but still not far from the big city. We had a friend who moved to Fernley & loved it. He had to move for work but would have stayed otherwise.
We went on a boating/camping weekend once with a fishing club. That was our once, and only, camping trip. Got rid of all of my wife's camping gear. Now it's only a nice hotel room, with a free breakfast.

Again, if no apartment complexes, we can't live there. My wife won't rent a house and I don't blame her. We can't buy one either.

Old 02-20-2024, 01:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 7,744,103 times
Quote:

Again, if no apartment complexes, we can't live there. My wife won't rent a house and I don't blame her. We can't buy one either.
Have you looked at the apartment rental links NWCrow so kindly provided to you yesterday? What did you learn about apartments in Northern Nevada?

Old 02-20-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
It's not a matter of seeing Northern Nevada weather in the early spring (March).

It's a matter of seeing whether the area is worth pursuing further or not, so you can move on quickly if it isn't.

Frankly, I'd rather take an hour and a half flight in March over driving 12-14 hours through the desert in the summer heat, especially as you've said you and your wife don't do well in high temperatures. That will be a toasty drive in June.

And again, two full days should be enough for a first look see to determine if Northern Nevada is worth pursuing further.

You spent less time than than in Sheridan before ruling it out.
Rosie, we are spending 5 days in the Carson City/Reno area. As far as driving thru heat, that's why we have A/C in the Durango. The cost of flying would way outweigh the cost of fuel (at 18 miles per gallon freeway). IOW, flying cost, hotel cost, food and car rental..........that would be a chunk of money! Believe me, our new Durango will make it ok and we have AAA (Auto Club) and any vehicle repairs are already paid for thru Plans we bought when we got the Durango.

We spent 3 days in Sherian. It wasn't nearly as "western" as we thought it would be. Then we were told "Sheridan is more of a tourist town than a cowboy town, like it use to be" and we could definitely see that. Other than two old men, wife and I were the only ones wearing cowboy hats in local steakhouse. All baseball caps.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Have you looked at the apartment rental links NWCrow so kindly provided to you yesterday? What did you learn about apartments in Northern Nevada?
Just did. Same rental cost we are currently paying. No problem!

Old 02-20-2024, 02:22 PM

798 posts, read 868,162 times
Definitely drive if you have a snazzy vehicle. It's called air-conditioning....you won't need it as much as in Vegas, that is for sure!

The only down-side is the drive is pretty darn boring until well after Tonopah...I really don't like it until you are close to Walker Lake and I would plan on driving by it on your way through....Fallon!

If you have time, drive down 395 on the way home. Absolutely gorgeous drive along the Eastern Sierra. Can check out Gardnerville on the way.

My husband has been stuck on the tarmac at LV International TWICE for hours in the sweltering heat on delayed flights over the years. Maybe LV airport has gotten better at the delays and oven-like waiting, but I doubt it You will have less stress driving most likely, if you are anything like me and hate airports, crowds and cramped flying.

Also, if your wife doesn't like freeway driving, maybe reconsider Reno. I am challenged by the freeway in Reno, it's nothing like Vegas, but it's enough to make me a nervous wreck at times when I need to visit.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Definitely drive if you have a snazzy vehicle. It's called air-conditioning....you won't need it as much as in Vegas, that is for sure!

The only down-side is the drive is pretty darn boring until well after Tonopah...I really don't like it until you are close to Walker Lake and I would plan on driving by it on your way through....Fallon!

If you have time, drive down 395 on the way home. Absolutely gorgeous drive along the Eastern Sierra. Can check out Gardnerville on the way.

My husband has been stuck on the tarmac at LV International TWICE for hours in the sweltering heat on delayed flights over the years. Maybe LV airport has gotten better at the delays and oven-like waiting, but I doubt it You will have less stress driving most likely, if you are anything like me and hate airports, crowds and cramped flying.

Also, if your wife doesn't like freeway driving, maybe reconsider Reno. I am challenged by the freeway in Reno, it's nothing like Vegas, but it's enough to make me a nervous wreck at times when I need to visit.
Talking about "boring", the drive on I-70 thru Utah, into Nevada and back to Colorado, sure isn't something that is interesting. However, there was one canyon that we stopped at that was pretty interesting. I took pictures, by holding my digital camera "out and away from me" of the canyon floor below. There was a piece of barrier wood, put there by the Park Service, to stop people from going any further toward the cliff while taking any photos.

We read online, when we got home, that a newspaper lady, and her family, were visiting the same spot. It was pretty warm, so she was the only one to get out of the vehicle. She crossed over the barrier wood to take a photo and, you guessed it, fell to the canyon floor below. Died instantly. Her husband her a scream, got out of the vehicle and seen her laying on the canyon floor below.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:36 PM

6,394 posts, read 11,961,472 times
Quote:
Rosie, we are spending 5 days in the Carson City/Reno area. As far as driving thru heat, that's why we have A/C in the Durango. The cost of flying would way outweigh the cost of fuel (at 18 miles per gallon freeway). IOW, flying cost, hotel cost, food and car rental..........that would be a chunk of money! Believe me, our new Durango will make it ok and we have AAA (Auto Club) and any vehicle repairs are already paid for thru Plans we bought when we got the Durango.

We spent 3 days in Sherian. It wasn't nearly as "western" as we thought it would be. Then we were told "Sheridan is more of a tourist town than a cowboy town, like it use to be" and we could definitely see that. Other than two old men, wife and I were the only ones wearing cowboy hats in local steakhouse. All baseball caps.
Come on you don't need no scouting trips! You never did that before, why start now? You tell us you know how all these places are already and can handle anything but a record cold day in Colorado, don't go all soft on us for this next move!!!

Old 02-21-2024, 03:23 AM

4,635 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Quote:
Talking about "boring", the drive on I-70 thru Utah, into Nevada and back to Colorado, sure isn't something that is interesting. However, there was one canyon that we stopped at that was pretty interesting. I took pictures, by holding my digital camera "out and away from me" of the canyon floor below. There was a piece of barrier wood, put there by the Park Service, to stop people from going any further toward the cliff while taking any photos.

We read online, when we got home, that a newspaper lady, and her family, were visiting the same spot. It was pretty warm, so she was the only one to get out of the vehicle. She crossed over the barrier wood to take a photo and, you guessed it, fell to the canyon floor below. Died instantly. Her husband her a scream, got out of the vehicle and seen her laying on the canyon floor below.
I-70 in Nevada is a road I'd love to drive on. Where is this located?

Old 02-21-2024, 06:19 AM

8,353 posts, read 4,188,424 times
Quote:
Well, we signed a 1-Year Lease, so can't leave before then.
Of course you can.

There is nothing either illegal or immoral about breaking a lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area