Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

Now you're gonna make me think, or look at my experience.

God gave us free will. As we go along in life we build our individual character as we experience life, right? If we are in accord with God's will (Thy Will, not mine, be done) things go pretty smoothly, or at least we are given the tools we need to face situations. We inevitably will make mistakes as we go along and as we surmount those obstacles, we build character. I believe this is what God wants for us.

Perhaps all of those trials and tribulations aren't always necessary. We can perhaps do the next right thing from pure Wisdom. Thus, does it pass the acid test: Does it work? In this psychobabble world we seem to live in today the question seems to be: Does it feel good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 09:21 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Now you're gonna make me think, or look at my experience.

God gave us free will. As we go along in life we build our individual character as we experience life, right? If we are in accord with God's will (Thy Will, not mine, be done) things go pretty smoothly, or at least we are given the tools we need to face situations. We inevitably will make mistakes as we go along and as we surmount those obstacles, we build character. I believe this is what God wants for us.

Perhaps all of those trials and tribulations aren't always necessary. We can perhaps do the next right thing from pure Wisdom. Thus, does it pass the acid test: Does it work? In this psychobabble world we seem to live in today the question seems to be: Does it feel good?
I kind of think I see where you are going, but the last sentence lost me. If you ask yourself, "does it feel good?" as a moral indicator and yet you are trying to follow God's will it won't work if you define "good" as most people do.

For instance God's will is that you do not murder people. A crazy person might think that he is following God's will and have a good feeling when he kills someone. This person might think he is doing God's will, but he isn't. What he is doing is saying, "killing people feels good so I like to do it." Does that make killing people moral for this person?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 AM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
IMO. Anyone who bases their moral behaviour on the fear of what will happen to them after they die..........doesn't have any morals. I don't think Christian doctrine says any where that "the morally good should populate heaven". In fact, doesn't the bible say that apart from your god, there is no one who is morally good! Quite the opposite, your god likens your righteousness to "filthy rags" and calls your wisdom foolishness. So if someone is hoping to get into heaven based on their own righteousness and a thirst for the truth, they could be to be in for a shock.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
IMO. Anyone who bases their moral behaviour on the fear of what will happen to them after they die..........doesn't have any morals. I don't think Christian doctrine says any where that "the morally good should populate heaven". In fact, doesn't the bible say that apart from your god, there is no one who is morally good! Quite the opposite, your god likens your righteousness to "filthy rags" and calls your wisdom foolishness. So if someone is hoping to get into heaven based on their own righteousness and a thirst for the truth, they could be to be in for a shock.
<gulp>

<struggling to make words come from mouth>

<shakingly whispers> I agree

This very well may be the first time ever!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:16 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,787,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
<gulp>

<struggling to make words come from mouth>

<shakingly whispers> I agree

This very well may be the first time ever!
I agree, Alpha. It's good to have him back. (Isn't that what you were trying to say?)

Hello, Bob!! Good to see you!

Weather...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I agree, Alpha. It's good to have him back. (Isn't that what you were trying to say?)

Hello, Bob!! Good to see you!

Weather...
Actually I was saying that even though pladecalvo and myself have cataclysmic differences in our beliefs, that last post he made I agree with entirely.

It freaks me out when that happens. Used to happen to me and JerZ a while back.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 AM

508 posts, read 1,673,069 times
Quote:
I would agree. This is exactly why God gave us the bible. We are not capable of determining our own morality, hence Christ came, gave us the Bible and his teachings, and we are to do the best we can to follow it as our guide to what is right and wrong.

By the way, nice to see you back. was wondering where you went off to.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Default What really happened to Plad...

Quote:
Speaking about a shock

Plad, are you sure you didn't get "saved" during your absence from us!!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 AM

954 posts, read 812,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Actually I was saying that even though pladecalvo and myself have cataclysmic differences in our beliefs, that last post he made I agree with entirely.

It freaks me out when that happens. Used to happen to me and JerZ a while back.
Perhaps there's a chance that you'll be "saved" after all!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Perhaps there's a chance that you'll be "saved" after all!
Better than a chance, my friend. That's a past-tense thing for me. It's already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality