Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 AM

954 posts, read 817,266 times

Advertisements

[quote=brittZ;851769]
Quote:
I would agree. This is exactly why God gave us the bible. We are not capable of determining our own morality, hence Christ came, gave us the Bible and his teachings, and we are to do the best we can to follow it as our guide to what is right and wrong.
So are you saying that anyone who rejects the bible has no morals?

Quote:
By the way, nice to see you back. was wondering where you went off to.
Thanks! If I go AWOL, I've been sent to stand in the corner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I agree, Alpha. It's good to have him back. (Isn't that what you were trying to say?)

Hello, Bob!! Good to see you!

Weather...
Thanks.......and thanks to everyone else for the welcome back messages. I did miss you all actually. Even though our beliefs differ wildly......I do like you all.........even though you are mis-guided!!

Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Speaking about a shock

Plad, are you sure you didn't get "saved" during your absence from us!!
Actually kaykay, I have been "saved" since about the age of 15. That's when I became saved from religion.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM

198 posts, read 912,293 times
My take is that all humans are spirit beings (with mind and body/flesh). Goodness come from within, but of course our perceptions change based off of the conditioning of this world. We are taught early on the illusion of seperation from the minute we come out of the womb, we are seperated even if for a short moment, from our mother. Our world religions teach us that we are seperate from God, and that there is something we need to do to get back into HIS graces, lest we fall pray to the Devil. Outside of religion, which is man made, in the spirit realm, if we have the understanding that we are all ONE source, derived from ONE source (God) then we wouldnt look at one another as seperate and we would know that what is good for the whole part is good for us. You wouldnt take a hammer and beat someone in the head because you would realizes that causes pain and it would be the same as hitting yourself. We have a collective consciousness within ourselves where we can discern truly what is good for all. Our society has created the definition of wrong and right based off of our experiences and beliefs. In the spirit realm everything is perfect. People make choices based off of what is relative to their perception of the world. If our collective consciousness were all in tact, we would know it is wrong to waste tons of food worldwide, while nations and people starve each night. In the present state, people define morality based off of their own sense of self and it is not looked at as a group effort. I base my morality off of what is beneficial to all. Why are there have's and have nots, because we've based every decision on greed, money and the ultimate gain to self. Without this shift in consciousness, without recognizing the true nature of self and thinking we are seperate beings, morality is going to mean something different to every one.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:51 PM

198 posts, read 912,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
I would agree. This is exactly why God gave us the bible. We are not capable of determining our own morality, hence Christ came, gave us the Bible and his teachings, and we are to do the best we can to follow it as our guide to what is right and wrong.

By the way, nice to see you back. was wondering where you went off to.

I have to disagree. I do not believe that we ARE capable of our own morality but it has to be in the minds of all that we are one. It is hard to fathom this when we've built society off of superiority, ignorance, seperation and other ills. Christ, while indeed was a living example to follow, even the same as Buddha's philosphy of the Noble Truth's. Wisdom and knowledge can be found anywhere and they can be found within. I do not base my beliefs soley on the Bible and I am neither a Christian nor Atheist but I do believe that if we practice our highest truth and realize that we are all God in flesh (which would scare some to think) self actualized and aware of our potential we would handle things much differently. We would truly realize our greatness and treat this earth and each other much better.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:48 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,324,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Actually kaykay, I have been "saved" since about the age of 15. That's when I became saved from religion.
uh,...not exactly what I had in mind, Plad!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
uh,...not exactly what I had in mind, Plad!
Thought not!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,697,245 times
Our moral compass whether we are religious or not is determined by our cultural upbringing, for most of us on this forum this will mean a Judeo-Christian background .
However beyond this my personal philosophy is to "first do no harm" and that is the basis for my entire morality. I try very hard not to do anything which will hurt or upset anyone and think before I act. I try to imagine what my actions have on others and if it is negative then I try not to do it. Making moral choices can sometimes be difficult but I basically try to be thoughtful and not as selfish as nature has created us. I do ,very often fail but basically this is the way I try to behave on a daily basis. Not believing in God does not make you any less moral. I believe we are ALL selfish animals naturally but we do have the infinite capacity to moderate this trait as long as we think. Being good has nothing to do with believing in a deity. It always surprises me what some people who call themselves Christian will do , being intolerant and hurting others, not thinking or doing anything about things like Ethical shopping , human rights,slavery and being really as far away from the doctrine they profess to believe in. Being a Christian should in my opinion a lot more about your behaviour towards other human beings, especially really vulnerable people at home or abroad than quoting verses from the bible or going to church...

Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,760,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Deliver me, too, from "religion".

Since you're saved from religion, you have a good start in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality