Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,606,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Sorry, but Rifleman is indeed correct. With the Earth's gravity (by definition) = 1, and the Moon's gravity = 0.1655, that works out to be close enough to be 1/6 of Earth's gravity.
I stand corrected(gravity) but the moon is 1/4 the size of the Earth not 1/6th as stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM

33,639 posts, read 37,332,281 times
oops.

Last edited by sanspeur; 01-28-2010 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
I love how God in his infinite wisdom made it so, although was are "open" to the elements of space(no protection from space) , our feet stay stuck to the ground with such centrifugal force that we can live, work and play without floating out into the dark abyss of space. GOD is good!

Teach me more God. I'm here to learn from You!!
The greater the mass of an object the greater the pull on smaller mass objects, You as a person(smaller mass) are attracted to the gravitational pull of a larger mass (Earth). Gravity is infinite,it is different because of the mass of the object.Gravity is an attractive force that draws masses to each other.

Distance is also a factor involving gravity, objects further apart will have less significance unless you are on top of that object,in other words you can't feel the gravitational pull on Earth from Jupiter,while on Earth but when you actually are on the planet Jupiter you will weigh multiple times more being that Jupiter is a much larger planet mass.

You can't confuse mass and weight because they are not the same thing . for example if you are on the moon and you weighed 300 pounds on Earth,you would weigh approximately 50 pounds on the moon but your mass would be the same ,that is your physical appearance would not change.

Last edited by noland123; 01-28-2010 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,968,192 times
Hey; I pull a lot of this stuff from memory, and that's failing fast! Soon, I'll start to believe everything the IDTr here (Intransigent Dogmo-Theists) say!

Woe is me! Woe is me!

I do distinctly remember the factoid about 1/6th though, when the lunar lander event took place, and Walter Chronkite said it. So 1)I'm really old, and 2) Walter said it! A media man! on live TV! Can't deny that!

If the moon's gravity is 1/6th, then it's mass, not physical size, would be 1/6th. It' density is obviously v. different than Earth's (it has no molten iron core, or low density "hell" residence.)

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hey; I pull a lot of this stuff from memory, and that's failing fast! Soon, I'll start to believe everything the IDTr here (Intransigent Dogmo-Theists) say!

Woe is me! Woe is me!

I do distinctly remember the factoid about 1/6th though, when the lunar lander event took place, and Walter Chronkite said it. So 1)I'm really old, and 2) Walter said it! A media man! on live TV! Can't deny that!

If the moon's gravity is 1/6th, then it's mass, not physical size, would be 1/6th. It' density is obviously v. different than Earth's (it has no molten iron core, or low density "hell" residence.)
You need to read your science book again,because your way off about the mass as it is 1/81th the size of Earth or about 1.2%. But don't feel bad there is a lot I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT in Accounting

Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 AM

9,496 posts, read 12,968,192 times
Default Numbers, numbers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You need to read your science book again,because your way off about the mass as it is 1/81th the size of Earth or about 1.2%. But don't feel bad there is a lot I HAVE FORGOTTEN ABOUT in Accounting
Again though, you're confusing size with what I think I said: mass. But you're also right: it's about 81
times less mass. The gravitational difference will be due to density or possibly material differences.

Here's the fact sheet, hot offa NASA's press sheet:

Moon Fact Sheet

So... if you divide the lunar gravity constant (at surface) with the same number for Earth, it's 9.8m/s divided by 1.62 m/s, which, by my Hewlett-Packard Scientific Calculator, is approx. 1/6th the grav-pull.

But as to size or volume or density; there are the numbers for you interested readers.

And to keep to the OP, no God required in either case. Long-gone OJ was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality