Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:17 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,694,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
More cow patties....You are repeating yourself. No god = no religion....An organization does not a religion make, no matter how many times you say it.
I think I love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 PM

33,570 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I think I love you.
Oh my....

Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh my....
Well, you said it better than I did. At least I LIKE you.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:14 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,013,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I think I love you.
*ehem*

Old 10-22-2009, 03:32 PM

33,570 posts, read 37,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Several "atheist organizations" are paying for this... the "Coalition of Reason", seems to be Atheism's answer to the "Christian Coalition". Atheists are organizing their religion more and more. They even have denominations, apparently.

They seem to really like proselytizing, I guess it's important enough to them to spread the gospel of Atheism™ that they are willing to spend lots of money, time, and resources on it.

I wonder why they don't feed the poor and house the homeless of NYC with that money???

Christians and Churches have soup kitchens, missions, homeless shelters, etc. Where is the Coalition of Reason's morality and humanitarian work? Oh yeah, they go with what's important to them, proselytize people into the Atheist religion instead of feeding them.
Can I say irony?

Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,380 times
Thoughts:

-Fighting over the definition of atheism in this thread is just a clear attempt to derail it.

-The religious who have expressed negativity on this poster don't seem sincere to me. "it's proselytizing" or "the money could be used to help the poor" are really just excuses(and double standards) to the main issue which is that it makes them uncomfortable. It makes them feel uncomfortable to think that things like these exists. It makes them uncomfortable to see and read these things while commuting and It makes them really uncomfortable to think that this message might encourage other atheists to be more assertive about their faith and reach otherwise religious people into doubting their faith.

-There are loads of secular charity organizations around and it makes me sick when people outright lie and pretend only religious charities exists. Come on people, where are your morals?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
-There are loads of secular charity organizations around and it makes me sick when people outright lie and pretend only religious charities exists. Come on people, where are your morals?
Get with the program already, would you? Lying For Jesus is acceptable.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:50 PM

970 posts, read 1,701,276 times
Quote:
I wonder why they don't feed the poor and house the homeless of NYC with that money???

Christians and Churches have soup kitchens, missions, homeless shelters, etc. Where is the Coalition of Reason's morality and humanitarian work? Oh yeah, they go with what's important to them, proselytize people into the Atheist religion instead of feeding them.
We need a name for that fallacy, it crops up all the time. The philantropical fallacy?

Look, in a perfectly altruistic society, everybody would spend all available money on charities, keeping just enough to survive (and even that is arguable). Any money not given to a charity or used for your basic survival is luxury at the expense of the poor & homeless. Nobody here can claim the moral high ground in this area.

And the way people use their luxury money is no business of yours.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,974,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
Science has proven nothing
Wow.

Just. Wow.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:49 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,419,455 times
Quote:
Several "atheist organizations" are paying for this... the "Coalition of Reason", seems to be Atheism's answer to the "Christian Coalition". Atheists are organizing their religion more and more. They even have denominations, apparently.

They seem to really like proselytizing, I guess it's important enough to them to spread the gospel of Atheismâ„¢ that they are willing to spend lots of money, time, and resources on it.

Atheism isn't a religion. It has no doctrines, no dogma, no central divine figure. So please, leave that strawman at home.

Secondly, google "secular charities", you'll be introduced to your second fallacy you make above.

Also, giving because it is a duty is not charity. Giving for the express purpose of prostylizing is also not charity either.

Finally, do I really need to mention the million (billions?) spent by religious institutions, organizations, and churches annually on advertising?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality