Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
It's a swinng annnnnnnnnnnnnnd a miss!

The purpose of the ads are not to "spread atheism" as you call it (By the way, atheism has a lowercase a. It's not a religion.) or to proselytize. It's to let skeptics, secular humanists, agnostics, skeptics, or just supporters of such free thought (Yes, even some Christians are involved! *gasp* ) to know that they're not alone, here's where they can find other people with a similar world view.

Oh.. and atheists have charities, too:

Effort Sisyphus: Atheist Charities

In fact, on Kiva.org (Where groups of lenders make microloans to help fight poverty), the Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and the Non-Religious group is the first - and only - group to have lended over $1 million dollars in microloans. Kiva Christians is second, having lended just a bit more than half of that.

Kiva - Community

Let's not forget Brad Pitt's (he's an atheist, by the way) Make it Right Foundation -> Make It Right Foundation New Orleans

or the Make Yourself Foundation headed by Brandon Boyd (lead singer of incubus, and also non-religious.) -> Make Yourself Foundation (Incubus) both of which are not included on the link posted above, but are also amazing foundations doing lots of good - without God.

The funds for the advertising campaigns recently making their rounds are usually donated by one or two people with the specific purpose of being for the ads. So these organizations are generally not taking funding from any income that would be used for charitable works. And at the same time, the advertisements may indirectly help more atheists/agnostics/free thinkers/skeptics/etc reach out and find ways that they, too, can help - even if they do not explicitely join the Coalition of Reason.
Nice try, but you failed to give any examples of Atheist charities. Secular groups are not Atheist groups. Some of the examples given in the link you provide are actually secular organizations with Christian roots (e.g. American Red Cross).

As for Brad Pitt, his charitable work is his own. It's not an Atheist charity any more than Rockefeller's philanthropy and charity work are Christian charities because Rockefeller was a Christian.

Your arguments fall completely flat here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
A tempest in a teapot! Take it from the native New Yorker: people riding on the subway are more concerned with getting where they're going than posters on the trains.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
You are correct! We shall see who will be the fool in the end. In the meantime I will adhere to Proverbs 3:5 and Psalm 116:16
Trust in what can’t be proven, and in what science is reveling as false on a daily basis is more blind faith than I could muster.
I had rather make an educated judgment and pick the path which can cause less harm. Knowledge or a myth based religion. Real science based knowledge win every time when I look at the history of religion.

Last edited by cncracer; 10-22-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,790,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I guess by this reasoning the Mormon church and other religious organization should have given money to the homeless instead of funneling it into California to defeat prop. 8 and now into Maine to overturn the gay marriage bill, right?
Well, the Mormon church in particular definitely spends too little on helping people outside of their religion (unless it's with the string attached that the people they help progress towards conversion to mormonism). I don't know what other religious organizations were involved, but any mainstream Christian denomination will spend money not only to proselytize but to help people with no religious strings attached. That's why you can go to a Baptist or Catholic hospital, clinic, homeless shelter, or other outreach, over and over, and receive humanitarian aid even if you NEVER become part of their religious organization. The Christian soup kitchens and homeless outreaches I've worked with help anyone, even (and especially) those who make it clear they aren't interested in joining the religion.

So, yes, religious groups spend money on proselytizing and other non-humanitarian things, but in Christianity this is in addition to spending on humanitarian outreaches. In Atheism, apparently, the Atheist organizations/sects are expressly for proselytizing and spend all their time, money, and resources doing so, and none on expressly humanitarian outreaches.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:09 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Can't wait to get back up north to see these.

It's cool but I won't say I am impressed. In New York you can be whatever the hell you want to be. They would impress me if they went to small town southern America and pulled this stunt and made it out in one piece.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Can't wait to get back up north to see these.

It's cool but I won't say I am impressed. In New York you can be whatever the hell you want to be. They would impress me if they went to small town southern America and pulled this stunt and made it out in one piece.
Morgantown Coalition of Reason | United Cor Meet the Morgantown, West Virginia Coalition of Reason. They have an ad, too.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
And the whole time they tell the religious people to grow up.

Dufus guys

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
Yeah, it's that smarmy, patronizing snearoid voice-over, saying "And what do we have here, Martha?" as two earnest middle-aged Suth'un believer ladies come across the innocent young atheist taping up an equally innocent free-speech poster.

"Why, I do believe we have us one-them heathen ay-thee-ists, Freeda. Shall I call up Frank and Bobby-Joe to stop by? I'm sure these nice young men would like to become re-acquainted with The Lord, don't you? Blesssed be our Lord Gowd, for He shall protect us from false prophets and Dee-cypules of Satan!"

"Now come along boys. We're going for a nice ride in the country!"

Thank Gawd for New York City! A place where a non-believer can go in peace. Not end up in pieces. And if that's a religion, then count me in!

Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Yeah, it's that smarmy, patronizing snearoid voice-over, saying "And what do we have here, Martha?" as two earnest middle-aged believer ladies come across the innocent young atheist taping up an equally innocent free-speech poster.

"Why, I do believe we have us one-them heathen ay-thee-ists, Freeda. Shall I call up Frank and Bobby-Joe to stop by? I'm sure these nice young men would like to become re-acquainted with The Lord, don't you? Blesssed be our Lord Gowd, for He shall protect us from false prophets and Dee-cypules of Satan!"

"Now come along boys. We're going for a nice ride in the country!"

Thank Gawd for New York City! A place where a non-believer can go in peace. Not end up in pieces. And if that's a religion, then count me in!
But, professor, why follow the footsteps of the Christians? Why preach?

Double standards. It leaves no exceptions.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM

218 posts, read 311,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Trust in what can’t be proven, and in what science is reveling as false on a daily basis is more blind faith than I could muster.
I had rather make an educated judgment on which path could do the most harm. Knowledge or a myth based religion. Real science based knowledge win every time when I look at the history of religion.
Science has proven nothing but God through His word Has. You are being led blind since you don't know the truth not I. You are leaning on your own understanding and some ignorant secular scientists. Provers 3:5 says it all.

Back up your claim that real science knowledge wins every time.
Tell me do Aliens exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality