Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

An atheist group is gloating on its website over the revenge it has taken on Christ Cathedral in Columbus, Ohio.
The church, which owns a billboard leased to Clear Channel Outdoor advertising, discovered that an atheist advertisement had been placed on their sign by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
They had it removed as offensive.
The billboard featured the smiling image of Dylan Galos, a local college student, proclaiming the atheist message: “I can be good without God.”

Read more: Top Religious News From Around the World - Beliefnet News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 10:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
After finding no record the Church paid property taxes for this commercial use of the property, FFRF sent a letter July 7 asking Franklin County Auditor Clarence Mingo II to investigate.
The auditor responded by billing Christ Cathedral for roughly $20,000 in past taxes.

Why did a church get into the billboard business?

How many other churches are involved in commercial use and not paying taxes to the community the live in?

Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

How many other churches are involved in commercial use and not paying taxes to the community the live in?

I guess it depends where you live here in the bible belt they use them al the time. I wounld be VERY surprised if any of them paid taxes to be honest.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I guess it depends where you live here in the bible belt they use them al the time. I wounld be VERY surprised if any of them paid taxes to be honest.
Renting a billboard to advertize their hatred, ignorance or superstition is very different that owning it and leasing the space on the billboard as a commercial enterprise.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default You got that one right! And what's more.....

Thanks for this info! Retribution for the true sinners here, huh? As well, when you go to the provided link, try scrolling down a few bars to this:

"10-year-old Pakistani girl expelled, accused of blasphemy for misspelling Islamic term"

Read more: Top Religious News From Around the World - Beliefnet News

I particularly disliked that her "blasphemy" was broadcast via the usual Islamic speaker system. Reminds me of The Orwellian politik. It's a total outrage, what they did to this innocent child. Typical of fanatical religion's outrageous behaviors if left to discipline within their means. Good thing we have that pesky Constitution thingy to intercede in their endless quest to be a major element in our government and education, huh?

Peace and Tolerance!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:57 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

It's really not a commercial business. They are not out there to sell a product but to win a soul. There is no monetary gain in that.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
It's really not a commercial business. They are not out there to sell a product but to win a soul. There is no monetary gain in that.

What about those rewards in heaven deal?

Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Did they lease the billboard they OWN to a commercial business to get paid in souls?...I rather think that they got paid with money.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
You don't know what was on that sign previously, it obviously was for lease and it might have advertized anything from cell phones to fast food. The fact that the atheists group payed the fee and had their message on the billboard proves this.

Space on billboards is rented on a month by month basis, it's a business, with the sole purpose of making money.

Perhaps if you had read the ******* article you would appear so uninformed.
Quote:
The church, which owns a billboard leased to Clear Channel Outdoor advertising, discovered that an atheist advertisement had been placed on their sign by the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
It is clearly a commercial business.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
I'm not sure if I consider making sure people, organizations and businesses pay the taxes they owe, revenge.

I'd expect nothing less from upstanding citizens.

I mean, it's the church who broke the law here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality