Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 12:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

This question is mainly directed to those who believe in God and are open to the possibility that advanced societies of aliens might inhabit other planets in the universe. Would you think that aliens who may be far more advanced than human beings would have souls and also be created by God? If a believer is open to that possibility it does raise some interesting questions.
If God created them would he also put them in a situation in which they would be tempted to disobey him in a similar manner to Adam and Eve? If they misbehaved would they find themselves in the same circumstances that mankind is in which would require God to send them a savior like Jesus? I wouldn't think many Christians would take that point of view because they view Jesus as part of the trinity and it would seem a little strange to have alien versions of Jesus spread throughout the universe but it's an interesting thought.
I do think it's likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe and it's very possible that advanced, intelligent life may exist as well. The Bible doesn't say anything about it, probably because the authors of the Bible didn't know that other solar systems existed or how immense the universe really is.
So what do you think, could advanced alien life exist that was created by God with souls similar to human beings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 12:14 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
If aliens are more advanced then us, does it mean god gave them more brain then us?? That's not fair!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 14,995 times
I don't see why not. It seems quite possible that alien life, if it exists, could be created with a soul similar to the one we have.

The question of salvation extending outside of earth is an interesting one, and I don't see it addressed in the Bible. I think the Bible could be referring to all humans on Earth when it says that salvation is extended to "all." It could equally be interpreted as extending to all humans as well as beyond that set.

If I were to guess - which may be dangerous - but I would think that Christ's crucifixion would be the sole mediation for all beings. It may seem anthropocentric to claim that God visited this planet but that salvation is extended to others as well. I would say that it's a similar parallel to how Christ died in the Middle East, but that salvation extended around the globe - including continents and areas yet unknown to the people in that area. If we extend that example, I think we'd end up with Christ's salvation extending outside of this planet.

To be honest, I haven't put too much thought into this issue, in particular... Interesting question, though.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Not only could advanced life exist elsewhere in the galaxy (let alone the universe), but given the number of star systems, it should. And there's absolutely no reason not to think that a number of such civilizations developed with sensibilities we can relate to. They may well wonder the same things about us!

Old 09-21-2009, 06:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Fred314X wrote:
Quote:
Not only could advanced life exist elsewhere in the galaxy (let alone the universe), but given the number of star systems, it should.
Oh, thanks Fred, I was afraid I was going to have to suffer the embarrassment of having this thread drift into page two in just one day.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
If aliens are more advanced then us, does it mean god gave them more brain then us?? That's not fair!
Yes, we are the rejects. We on this planet are like wingless bugs in a glass jar, always trying to get out, but never make it.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I think it is possible that Jesus is walking on another planet at this moment with his gospel..Or perhaps he has already returned on another more advanced time and age on another distant galaxy..I think He would be giving the same message throughout our Universe and beyond..If there is human life out there, I imagine God created them all in "His image". and with our human features..

Interesting thoughts for this believer who considers all the amazing possibilities of answers to questions that we will never know in this lifetime

Old 09-21-2009, 07:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
I would say that advanced life is likely on other planets and have souls.I have no clue how any religious beliefs regarding salvation on this planet would transfer to other planets.Interesting to consider though

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think it is possible that Jesus is walking on another planet at this moment with his gospel..Or perhaps he has already returned on another more advanced time and age on another distant galaxy..I think He would be giving the same message throughout our Universe and beyond..If there is human life out there, I imagine God created them all in "His image". and with our human features..

Interesting thoughts for this believer who considers all the amazing possibilities of answers to questions that we will never know in this lifetime

Darn it. I hope he's not out there tormenting aliens with the thought of what garbage they are and are going to hell if they don't believe him!

Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Darn it. I hope he's not out there tormenting aliens with the thought of what garbage they are and are going to hell if they don't believe him!
I hope not too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality