Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,264 times

Advertisements

Gee, you'd think god would have clued us in about these aliens. He certainly knew how to focus on silly stuff like body parts, sin, apples, and snakes. The 10 commandments were etched on stone by god. add a PS
Hey, kids ! I made other beings. You aren't the only game in the universe ! Live with it. PS again I love you all equally, and yes, you all have souls. A gift !!! from SKY DADDY....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:33 PM

9 posts, read 15,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Gee, you'd think god would have clued us in about these aliens. He certainly knew how to focus on silly stuff like body parts, sin, apples, and snakes. The 10 commandments were etched on stone by god. add a PS
Hey, kids ! I made other beings. You aren't the only game in the universe ! Live with it. PS again I love you all equally, and yes, you all have souls. A gift !!! from SKY DADDY....
There are a lot of ways to evaluate a philosophical system; I'm just not sure that the extent to which they clue you in to the existence of aliens is necessarily the best metric..

Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,875,398 times
If God Created Advanced Alien Life, Do They Have Souls?

Dang, I'm still not convinced that humans have souls.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,990,578 times
Quite an original and thought-provoking question MontanaGuy!
I have always believed life of some sort exists out there and in infinite forms and locales. But as an atheist I have no place in answering your question as it was directed toward theists and primarily Christians. It is food for thought nevertheless.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,187 times
Deception of the church on what your really worshiping will change many peoples views if they find God is nothing more than a very advanced being from another planet using us as an experiment. Truth is a hard pill to swallow and I think some religions know this now but now is not the time to tell the masses. May be hundreds or even thousnds of years before they reveal themselves .

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,251,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This question is mainly directed to those who believe in God and are open to the possibility that advanced societies of aliens might inhabit other planets in the universe. Would you think that aliens who may be far more advanced than human beings would have souls and also be created by God? If a believer is open to that possibility it does raise some interesting questions.
If God created them would he also put them in a situation in which they would be tempted to disobey him in a similar manner to Adam and Eve? If they misbehaved would they find themselves in the same circumstances that mankind is in which would require God to send them a savior like Jesus? I wouldn't think many Christians would take that point of view because they view Jesus as part of the trinity and it would seem a little strange to have alien versions of Jesus spread throughout the universe but it's an interesting thought.
I do think it's likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe and it's very possible that advanced, intelligent life may exist as well. The Bible doesn't say anything about it, probably because the authors of the Bible didn't know that other solar systems existed or how immense the universe really is.
So what do you think, could advanced alien life exist that was created by God with souls similar to human beings?
i think your question is towards christians rather than theist's.

i had kinda the same thread goin on on the christian f0orum,ended up gettin closed,but i think you'll be safe here on the R&P.

my answer,although im not christian ,would be yes,if its alive then it is soul.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
If God Created Advanced Alien Life, Do They Have Souls?

Dang, I'm still not convinced that humans have souls.
I for one do not believe all of man-kind has souls (hope I'am wrong); so who knows about outer-space when we don't have a firm grasp of earth.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,579,946 times
I would think if they are capable of knowing God and each other than yes they'd have souls.

How original sin or covenants works with them I don't know. C. S. Lewis seemed to believe that extraterrestrials would not have fallen into original sin in the first place. That strikes me as slightly idealizing of aliens. Still maybe their "flaw" is less about disobedience or pride and maybe it works itself in a different way. I probably won't know until I die.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,142,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This question is mainly directed to those who believe in God and are open to the possibility that advanced societies of aliens might inhabit other planets in the universe. Would you think that aliens who may be far more advanced than human beings would have souls and also be created by God? If a believer is open to that possibility it does raise some interesting questions.
If God created them would he also put them in a situation in which they would be tempted to disobey him in a similar manner to Adam and Eve? If they misbehaved would they find themselves in the same circumstances that mankind is in which would require God to send them a savior like Jesus? I wouldn't think many Christians would take that point of view because they view Jesus as part of the trinity and it would seem a little strange to have alien versions of Jesus spread throughout the universe but it's an interesting thought.
I do think it's likely that life exists elsewhere in the universe and it's very possible that advanced, intelligent life may exist as well. The Bible doesn't say anything about it, probably because the authors of the Bible didn't know that other solar systems existed or how immense the universe really is.
So what do you think, could advanced alien life exist that was created by God with souls similar to human beings?

There is no such thing as the soul.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jda_zzle View Post
I don't see why not. It seems quite possible that alien life, if it exists, could be created with a soul similar to the one we have.

The question of salvation extending outside of earth is an interesting one, and I don't see it addressed in the Bible. I think the Bible could be referring to all humans on Earth when it says that salvation is extended to "all." It could equally be interpreted as extending to all humans as well as beyond that set.

If I were to guess - which may be dangerous - but I would think that Christ's crucifixion would be the sole mediation for all beings. It may seem anthropocentric to claim that God visited this planet but that salvation is extended to others as well. I would say that it's a similar parallel to how Christ died in the Middle East, but that salvation extended around the globe - including continents and areas yet unknown to the people in that area. If we extend that example, I think we'd end up with Christ's salvation extending outside of this planet.

To be honest, I haven't put too much thought into this issue, in particular... Interesting question, though.

If there is a being or "God" that created this universe, us and any aliens, it's a safe bet it's not the ridiculous man made tribal deity found in the Bible anyway.

So the question of "salvation" (another ridiculous concept) is rather moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality