Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,050,524 times

Advertisements

are so great and so special? Apes fling their crap when they get mad at each other and pick bugs off their backs and eat them. As if we as human beings are any differetn? We throw rocks, bullets, and nuclear weapons at each other. I'm so sick of modern humans acting like 21st century society is so great and we are all so intelligent. Look at our planet. Look at our society. Look at each other. We are still killing each other, we are still pilfering and plundering the planet. Yippeeeeeeee I have an Iphone and a washing machine. But the food I put into my body is filled with chemicals and toxins because of it. SO now I can go check into a hospital which is run by intelligent humans with MBAs and they can give me chemotherapy and surgery at the hands of amazing intelligent human beings called doctors.

There were millions of native people living in California or hell all over Native America before the white man and the spanish came here. What the hell makes our modern life so superior to theirs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,361,380 times
Looking back during my brief time as a passenger on the planet, it seems to me that some things have improved, some have regressed and some have not changed very much.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,697,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
are so great and so special? Apes fling their crap when they get mad at each other and pick bugs off their backs and eat them. As if we as human beings are any differetn? We throw rocks, bullets, and nuclear weapons at each other. I'm so sick of modern humans acting like 21st century society is so great and we are all so intelligent. Look at our planet. Look at our society. Look at each other. We are still killing each other, we are still pilfering and plundering the planet. Yippeeeeeeee I have an Iphone and a washing machine. But the food I put into my body is filled with chemicals and toxins because of it. SO now I can go check into a hospital which is run by intelligent humans with MBAs and they can give me chemotherapy and surgery at the hands of amazing intelligent human beings called doctors.

There were millions of native people living in California or hell all over Native America before the white man and the spanish came here. What the hell makes our modern life so superior to theirs?
Nothing...because it's NOT superior...just more "technologically advanced".
For all the good that has done...it's done many times more bad, IMO.

We have more "technical knowledge" than the natives of the past...but it is obvious we traded "wisdom" for it.
As a society/civilization, they were much more wise than what we have now.
We have become "brilliant fools"...and the overindulgence of our "wants", has made us lose appreciation for the satisfaction of our "needs".
If we could embrace their "ways" and culture...and meld it with the best of modern technology...then we'd REALLY have something.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM

33,639 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:

Now that is what I call a pessimistic view of human kind...Yes there are still wars, and yes there is still hatred and bigotry in the world, and yes two atom bombs were dropped on cities 65 years ago, but things are definitely improving. They haven't been used since and I doubt that they ever will. More than 160 million people died as a result of wars in the twentieth century. What I'd like to see in place of war is the leaders of the warring nations be put into a cage to duke it out...

If you put harmful toxins and chemicals in your body it is your choice to do so. There are alternatives.

I'm not sure if our life is better than the lives of natives that occupied the Americas before the Europeans arrived, but it is certainly longer and more comfortable...By the way the various 1st nations had their conflicts too....Sadly, war seems to be part of the nature of man, going back to when we lived in small tribes and the main struggle we had was survival.

You may pine for the "good old days", but as far as I'm concerned you can have them...There is nothing stopping you from rejecting much of modern technology.

Quote:
Those who long for the good old days may be chasing a dream, says a new United Nations report, which shows the world has become healthier, wealthier and better educated over the last four decades, with dramatic gains in poor countries.

In 135 countries that were tracked since 1970, life expectancy climbed from an average of 59 to 70 years, per capita GDP doubled to more than $10,000 and primary and secondary school enrolment rose from 55 to 70 per cent. World healthier, wealthier, better educated: UN agency - thestar.com

Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,044,809 times
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with having things, it's in how we use them that matters. We would have to go back to the very beginning when the first murder happened to define why humans kill and harm each other. Since we can't do that, we should really start with ourselves and make ourselves better people so that we can portray that to others. We have been taught wrong thinking and it is only up to us if we want to start thinking right.

I agree that some cultures were better and wiser but they stil had their erroneous issues. Through our own experiences we can make things better. Those who want the better world should speak up, demand to be respected and demand to no longer be lied to. Show love to everyone so that those who are in need of that love can learn and grow themselves.

The secret is, it just has to start with one person.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,726,092 times
Quote:
What the hell makes our modern life so superior to theirs?
I can answer that question in six words:

The desire not to feel otherwise.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM

13,137 posts, read 22,904,342 times
Quote:

No one alive got to pick the circumstances of their birth, nor can anyone go back some romanticized "good old days". Life as a Native American had it's pros and cons, but it was no "Dances with Wolves" experience. It was every bit as brutal, unfair and painful (maybe even more so) than modern times.

Stop worrying about the past and start working to make your future better.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,956,316 times
Quote:

yep and its only getting worse unfortunately

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM

245 posts, read 457,036 times
I dunno... We seem to be the only species that has increased our average life expectancy; significantly, and as a product of our own actions. You can spin our shortcomings as a species in any fashion you choose. I prefer to give us some credit.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM

33,639 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yep and its only getting worse unfortunately
So many pessimists....Life is better than it has ever been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality