Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times

Advertisements

I haven't started a thread in forever, so here's one.

In your belief system, if it includes belief in souls, where do they come from?

In other words, are souls pieces of God that have always existed? Or are they made fresh daily? Are souls separate things from God but they hang out with the angels, awaiting a baby? Etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,024,356 times
Your soul comes from God and God only...you only get one soul, so make sure you take care of it's health and eternity

Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,656,602 times
The concept of a soul never made much sense to me. The Bible doesn't get into any detail about how the soul is attached to a particular body and at what point in time this takes place. In the Christian belief system I've never heard of a human soul existing before the flesh and blood human being so I'm guessing that the "made fresh daily" category that you referred to must apply. If that's the case then a soul supposedly comes into existence at a fixed point in time but exists forever afterwards. The brief human lifetime goes by very quickly and then the soul is forwarded to heaven or hell depending on the behavior of the human host it inhabited. And people wonder why there are atheists?

Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,569,031 times
My opinion of the soul is based on bible and other bible courses and my own thoughts. I very seldom quote chapter and verse because I don't like to rip the bible to shreds. I think that when God breathed the breath of life into man that he was putting the soul in (don't know the location either) for the dwelling of the holy spirit that was made attainable to us on the day of pentacost when the holy spirit descended like tongues of fire. To me the soul is the abode of the holy spirit that is within us as our guide and mediator between Christ and God. At the end of life, the soul returns to God, because it came from him. The body returns to the earth from where God formed it.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times
LOL!!!!!!!!! I just googled "Where does the soul come from?" and on one site someone answered "Motown."

OK...I do believe in souls...I'm not sure I have a theory on where they came from...and I'm curious as to others' ideas, which is why I asked. I forgot to put down my reason in the OP.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:04 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,801,228 times
I can't quote scripture on this either, but this is my personal belief. The soul comes from God. I believe our soul enters our bodies while we're still in utero. We are hence born with a soul. I believe it's our soul with which the Holy Spirit communicates. I believe upon death our soul leaves your body and you are immediately present before God. To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ. Once this happens, you are in your glorified state.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,831,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
My opinion of the soul is based on bible and other bible courses and my own thoughts. I very seldom quote chapter and verse because I don't like to rip the bible to shreds. I think that when God breathed the breath of life into man that he was putting the soul in (don't know the location either) for the dwelling of the holy spirit that was made attainable to us on the day of pentacost when the holy spirit descended like tongues of fire. To me the soul is the abode of the holy spirit that is within us as our guide and mediator between Christ and God. At the end of life, the soul returns to God, because it came from him. The body returns to the earth from where God formed it.
I like Blue's answer, I vote for this.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:35 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,797,426 times
hmmmm....this is a very interesting question. I don't think that I ever thought much about where or when a soul is first conceived until I miscarried my third child. At that time the verse "I knew you before you were in the womb" came to mind and I thought that even though my baby was only six weeks old, it must have had a soul, because God already knew him/her. So I believed that even though my baby had not yet aquired a body, certainly it must have gone back to heaven when I miscarried. Some day I hope that we will know this answer.

God Bless us All.

Weather...

Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,456,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
hmmmm....this is a very interesting question. I don't think that I ever thought much about where or when a soul is first conceived until I miscarried my third child. At that time the verse "I knew you before you were in the womb" came to mind and I thought that even though my baby was only six weeks old, it must have had a soul, because God already knew him/her. So I believed that even though my baby had not yet aquired a body, certainly it must have gone back to heaven when I miscarried. Some day I hope that we will know this answer.

God Bless us All.

Weather...
Oh yes I believe your baby had a soul then and now and is being rocked in the arms of Jesus. I think at the moment of conception we have a soul and the Holy Spirit communicates to Christians through the soul.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,801,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

God Bless us All.

Weather...
I certainly believe your baby did return to Jesus. And when you see your baby again (in his/her mature form as God intended) in heaven, you will instantly recognize him/her and rejoice together for all eternity in the presence of the Lord. What a great joy that will be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality