Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:18 PM

553 posts, read 568,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
They're not cookie cutter answers, my answers come from my heart, and I do believe what I say wholeheartedly.
''From the heart' based on what you read in the Bible I take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasTraveler View Post
Then "you" would not have a choice to make - you would be a "robot", where as now you have free will - you can go with God or go to hell.
So is that the actual reason God doesn't just get rid of the Devil? Or is that your opinion?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
''From the heart' based on what you read in the Bible I take it?
Based on what the Lord says to my heart when I read the Bible.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
[quote=yydanay515;5009157]
Quote:
One thing I have to say about you ILNC is that you have these neat cookie cutter answers for just about any subject and you seem to believe in them wholeheartedly. Commendable
Actually, Yydanay, it is very commendable. ILNC has a sweet spirit about her that can only come from God. She doesn't get involved in lengthy debates and says exactly all that needs to be said in a few words. Would it really matter what she said to you and how many words she used to say it? Is there anything any of us could possibly say to change how you think or believe?

Quote:
For me, I'm too much a realist and that gets in the way of faith.
I heard someone say something today that I really think was profound and true. She said that the reason people choose not to believe in God is because if they did, then they would have to live a righteous life and be accountable to someone. All the evidence of a Creator is right in front of all of us. Denying His existance doesn't make it so.

Analyzing things to death and asking why, why, why, why, why, why.......is not the answer to the unanswerable. The answer is FAITH.....faith in God and His plan, faith in knowing that if you have faith in Him you will eventually have all of your answers. Be at peace now and live for God because He is ultimately in control of everything. He controls our destinies and saying or believing He is unfair does not change that.

No matter how it appears, God IS a God of love. Accept Him and you will feel that and know it to be true. You will also stop questioning Him and start trusting Him. Pray for all consuming peace.....that's what I did.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA
Quote:
Based on what the Lord says to my heart when I read the Bible.
I've always been interested how Christians know the difference between 'normal' inspiration and God talking to them.
As an artist I'm intimately familiar with inspiration but to call this 'divine' inspiration, or God talking to me?
I'm easily inspired and can often trace where it exactly came from but I find nothing magical or divine about it.

I also find the claim that God is talking to me somehow very creepy and I always associate it with serial killers who claim to hear commands from God.
Or the devil.
I mean how do you know the difference between a voice from God and a voice from the devil?
If I was Abraham and I heard a voice asking me to sacrifice my 1st born I'd immediately assume this would be the voice of the devil instead of God's.
And I would only find it a cruel joke to have been able to impregnate my elderly wife only so that I could sacrifice my child to God.
Such a miracle only bears the signature of the devil and not God.
Isn't this how the devil works?
First he gives us something we truly desire (like offspring) and then he takes it away to make us feel miserable?
So I don't think that the voice of God and that of the devil are as easily distinguishable as most Christians believe it is.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:23 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,393,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA I've always been interested how Christians know the difference between 'normal' inspiration and God talking to them.
As an artist I'm intimately familiar with inspiration but to call this 'divine' inspiration, or God talking to me?
I'm easily inspired and can often trace where it exactly came from but I find nothing magical or divine about it.

I also find the claim that God is talking to me somehow very creepy and I always associate it with serial killers who claim to hear commands from God.
Or the devil.
I mean how do you know the difference between a voice from God and a voice from the devil?
If I was Abraham and I heard a voice asking me to sacrifice my 1st born I'd immediately assume this would be the voice of the devil instead of God's.
And I would only find it a cruel joke to have been able to impregnate my elderly wife only so that I could sacrifice my child to God.
Such a miracle only bears the signature of the devil and not God.
Isn't this how the devil works?
First he gives us something we truly desire (like offspring) and then he takes it away to make us feel miserable?
So I don't think that the voice of God and that of the devil are as easily distinguishable as most Christians believe it is.
John 10:27 "My sheep recognize my voice, I know them, and they follow Me".
When God speaks there is a calmness in my spirit.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:35 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,237,991 times
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA
Quote:
John 10:27 "My sheep recognize my voice, I know them, and they follow Me".
When God speaks there is a calmness in my spirit.
And this calmness is exactly what worries me.
The most dangerous serial killers who believe they are doing God's work are in fact very calm and controlled.
You would not recognise 1 of these serial killers if he stood right in front of you.
They are always the least suspected.
I'm not saying that you ILNC are a serial killer, I'm just saying that nobody would notice the difference between a serial killer and you and this fact does scare me.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,973,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Which takes us right back to the beginning of the post ... why doesn't God just get rid of the devil? Then there's no problem.

Man, I am so glad I don't believe this stuff anymore ... the mental gymnastics you have to play to keep telling yourself this stuff is real is enough to wear anyone out.
God believes in free will, and God is allowing you to make a choice for Him or the Devil. The world loves evil, and that is why the world usually chooses evil over God. It does not take mental gymnastics to believe the Bible. It only takes someone who is willing to consider the truth of it's prophecies. Yet, most would rather watch a football game then consider the Biblical truth that would give you eternal life.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
God believes in free will, and God is allowing you to make a choice for Him or the Devil.
Is this your opinion? How do you know this for sure? How do you know for sure that's the reason God doesn't get rid of the Devil?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 PM

85 posts, read 262,801 times
If God is all knowing then He already knows what your choices will be. If He already knows then your life is scripted. Good or bad you are playing out a role. Is this what people believe? Now don't tell me you have choices if God knows what you're going to do anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality