Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,073 times

Advertisements

There seems to be an endless supply of threads here where people ("atheists") argue with religious people that hold faith in such and such.

Whats the point of all this exactly? If one holds faith in such and such they do so without reason by definition, so why try to convince them with reason that what they believe is false? It seems like the definition of a pointless endeavor to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Show me where "atheists" try to convice xians that they're incorrect. Please do.

What I find is that xians can't leave people alone to believe whatever they choose or choose not believe.

Even the xian sub-forum has xians saying that other xians are not true xians and that others are going to hell, etc.

Atheists don't try to convert anyone, either you are or you aren't.
They're not trying to change anything xians believe in, they just want to be left alone.

You might want to look at your premise again.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:33 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Humanoid wrote:
Quote:
Whats the point of all this exactly?
I'm not quite sure but I've been at it for a year and a half.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Show me where "atheists" try to convice xians that they're incorrect. Please do.
Are you serious? If they are not trying to convince religious folks that they are correct why are they arguing? Did you really wait me to post examples? I mean...you're serious here?

Quote:
They're not trying to change anything xians believe in, they just want to be left alone.
Then why do they debate so often with Christians? What happens when a Christian makes a post like "Dr. David Berlinski Destroys Evolution In Under 5 Minutes"? Oh lets look.... If "atheists" wanted to me left alone, they would simply ignore the post. And many others of a similar nature. But they don't, the posts go on and on and on and on.....

Old 06-05-2008, 04:48 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Hope for a meaningful discussion? I'm not really interested in converting people which is why I hardly ever make my own threads. What drives me to post on existing threads however are when
-I have the impulse to give my 2 cents
-My(or someone else's) views are being misrepresented

Then comes the point where someone replies to my response and a discussion entails until one of the following happens:
-Someone says I agree
-No one replies
-Someone says something along the lines of "My views will never change and I will personally take offense to anyone else's input lest theirs support mine"

Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There seems to be an endless supply of threads here where people ("atheists") argue with religious people that hold faith in such and such.

Whats the point of all this exactly? If one holds faith in such and such they do so without reason by definition, so why try to convince them with reason that what they believe is false? It seems like the definition of a pointless endeavor to me!
Etiquette. When the faithful come looking for a fight, it would be rude not to give them one.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
If they are not trying to convince religious folks that they are correct why are they arguing?
I argue when I think that my argument has something to add to a discussion (it's not often). Best case scenario in an argument is getting someone (including myself) to look at an issue/idea in a different way than they normally do. No mind-changing needed.

Also, I don't expect to convince religious folk that their religion is wrong. I just make a case for my own point of view - that's what debate is about.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 PM

33,528 posts, read 37,128,036 times
I have yet to see an atheist evangelizing or "witnessing" to a person of faith...Normally it's the opposite. Anyway what would be the reason for a discussion board if we all had the same point of view?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,106,797 times
I believe that most of the arguing that goes on online is more about people needing to be right more than anything else. People don't like being wrong. Some of the arguments are nothing more than harassment and baiting others to respond wildly. And yes, this goes on on both sides of the argument.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Anyway what would be the reason for a discussion board if we all had the same point of view?
Discusses would be boring if everyone agreed but that isn't my point. You can't have a discussion if people don't agree on methods one uses to come to a conclusion about matters. In the case of religion and things of that nature people hold these views from faith, so how exactly is trying to debate matters via reason hopeful? The people using reason and the people using faith are using rather different methods of arriving at the truth. Therefore no real discussion is possible in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality