Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:00 PM

599 posts, read 1,261,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Therein lies the problem. Devout Christians are programed like my PC and are unable to explore alternate possibilities.
And the same can't be said of devout atheists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 09:21 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
I think there is a difference between argument and debate. An argument, to me, implies a debate gone wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with debate. In fact, debate can truly bring forth an understanding of both sides of the "argument". However, a debate can turn into an argument because of several reasons. Usually it is when one or the other side is provoked at the gesture of something like an ad hominem attack. However, I think that there is a bit of frustration on both sides that can also lead into the argument realm as well.

So, to the OP, if you're asking why I waste my time debating with the faithful than I can tell you that it is an interesting topic to me and I do enjoy the many facets that a debate for or against God can bring. If you look around the forum, it's not just about whether or not a God exists. There are multitudes of subjects, multitudes of topics, and everyone seemingly has a different opinion of what is and what isn't.

But, if you're asking why I waste my time arguing than I think you misunderstand the intent of this forum to begin with.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:43 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
And the same can't be said of devout atheists?
No such thing.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:24 PM

790 posts, read 4,020,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There seems to be an endless supply of threads here where people ("atheists") argue with religious people that hold faith in such and such.

Whats the point of all this exactly? If one holds faith in such and such they do so without reason by definition, so why try to convince them with reason that what they believe is false? It seems like the definition of a pointless endeavor to me!
People like to fight.
Fundamentalist Christians and "atheists" seem to like it a whole lot.
They're flip sides of the same coin. That's the funny thing.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
I don't mind giving people my opinion, especially when I don't agree with them.
What others do with my opinion is not my concern though, because I'm not responsible for their actions. So whether others agree with me or not is irrelevant to me.

I also find asking the right questions more important than finding the answers.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:16 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,964 times
Quote:
So, to the OP, if you're asking why I waste my time debating with the faithful than I can tell you that it is an interesting topic to me and I do enjoy the many facets that a debate for or against God can bring.
I'll say this again. If someone bases their believe in god on faith then what exactly is there to debate? If someone believes something by faith there is nothing to debate.

Any atheist that tries to convince a Christian (or anybody that believes from faith) that they shouldn't believe in god because X, Y and Z is missing the point.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:29 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,240,127 times
Originally Posted by Humanoid
Quote:
Any atheist that tries to convince a Christian (or anybody that believes from faith) that they shouldn't believe in god because X, Y and Z is missing the point.
The point is not that they should or should not believe in a god, but how they recognise their God.
Even the Christians don't see their god the same, otherwise there wouldn't be that many different denominations.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,464,800 times
Quote:
I'll say this again. If someone bases their believe in god on faith then what exactly is there to debate? If someone believes something by faith there is nothing to debate.

I agree. Really I do.

I think what you'll find is that Atheists are more concerned with the evidence for God existing and that is where the crux of most arguments come forth. Taking something on faith implies to me that despite a lack of evidence you are willing to put faith in it as existing. Hence, we call it faith.

My personal viewpoint, as I can only speak for myself, is that if something cannot be evidenced, tested for, and proven then it's not worth believing in. It just seems intellectually dishonest to say that I should believe in it otherwise. But, that is my standpoint, and that is one of the main reasons I am not a deist or theist.

On the flip side, I find myself getting somewhat agitated when someone tries to point out alleged proofs of something without realizing that there is usually some sort of scientifically evidenced and proven method contradictory to what the allegation is. Therefore, I do find the need to defend that because, to me, to suggest that belief in something not evidenced is more important than that which is indeed evidenced seems rather... fallacious, no?

However, I will agree with you that faith in most cases is unbreakable. As you more or less stated, a belief in God dwelves in the realm of that which is unproveable and also unfalsifiable.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,763 times
Plus debates are not necessarily one sided, in forums like these we get people who are for Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Atheism, Agnosticism, Satanism ect ect ect. All with different points to bring up

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:

You keep saying the same thing over and over.
Please tell me where any atheist has tried to convince a xian that they shouldn’t believe in a god thing? Please, an example or two would do it.

It seems to me that a lot of xians try to convert or condemn atheists on a regular basis in these parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality