Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times

Advertisements

No real progress in any debate can be made unless the debaters are open to the possibility of being wrong, regardless of the methods used. I do agree that mostly it is a waste of time trying to change minds on either side, but we are still learning from each other. Well I am anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,157,964 times
Quote:
No real progress in any debate can be made unless the debaters are open to the possibility of being wrong, regardless of the methods used.
There is no sense of being wrong when you are using faith.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There is no sense of being wrong when you are using faith.
Therein lies the problem. Devout Christians are programed like my PC and are unable to explore alternate possibilities.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM

335 posts, read 1,029,250 times
I agree both sides are wrong for trying to hopefully sway the other party to see their pov.
Being raised catholic I myself have had many issues as to what exists and what does not...the tangible, the hard core facts or too simply give myself over to faith and teachings.
I must be a hypocrite because I do see both sides and the fervor to be on top, does god exist or is he a sham?
However through the years I have made my peace with the fued I have had within me in that science exists and has validity yet there are too many unexplainable things that occur that cannot refute that god does not exist as well. I simply choose to believe that life does not end with our last breath and brain activity.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Therein lies the problem. Devout Christians are programed like my PC and are unable to explore alternate possibilities.
Then debating with them would make little sense....but alas...

Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Then debating with them would make little sense....but alas...
Like I said I am learning a lot...Before I came here I had only a vague idea what the terms creationist, fundamental Christian, evangelizing etc. etc. meant.. Learning new things is my hot button.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Learning new things is my hot button.
So, out of all the things you could spend your time learning about you picked to spend some of your time on creationism and fundamental Christianity despiting thinking already these things are false? Hmm.....okay.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
So, out of all the things you could spend your time learning about you picked to spend some of your time on creationism and fundamental Christianity despiting thinking already these things are false? Hmm.....okay.
Just one of my many interests. It is useful to know the dangers inherent when dogma mixes with politics, but since you have a book that gives you all knowledge, I guess you cannot understand about learning anything new.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
It is useful to know the dangers inherent when dogma mixes with politics
So why not study this then instead of debating people? And why stop at christianity? You can look at how scientific dogma has mixes with politics too.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,345,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Humanoid wrote:

I'm not quite sure but I've been at it for a year and a half.

Hey, don't stop now.

This theist at least, enjoys a respectful "discussion"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality