Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 AM

599 posts, read 1,262,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No such thing.
Hmm, really? There are several, what I would call "devout" atheists, that have posted in this thread.

Main Entry: de·vout
Pronunciation: \di-ˈvau̇t\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin devotus, from Latin, past participle of devovēre
Date: 13th century
1: devoted to religion or to religious duties or exercises
2: expressing devotion or piety <a devout attitude>
3 a: devoted to a pursuit, belief, or mode of behavior : serious, earnest <a devout baseball fan> <born a devout coward — G. B. Shaw> b: warmly sincere <a devout wish for peace>
— de·vout·ly adverb
— de·vout·ness noun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,250,717 times
If I believed I'd be wasting my time I wouldn't be here.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in VA View Post
Hmm, really? There are several, what I would call "devout" atheists, that have posted in this thread.

Main Entry: de·vout
Pronunciation: \di-ˈvau̇t\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin devotus, from Latin, past participle of devovēre
Date: 13th century
1: devoted to religion or to religious duties or exercises
2: expressing devotion or piety <a devout attitude>
3 a: devoted to a pursuit, belief, or mode of behavior : serious, earnest <a devout baseball fan> <born a devout coward — G. B. Shaw> b: warmly sincere <a devout wish for peace>
— de·vout·ly adverb
— de·vout·ness noun
Atheism is not a pursuit, belief or mode of behavior. It is simply non belief.....How the heck can anyone be devoted to it?

Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,944,470 times
I'm quite devout in my pursuit of lacking belief in ghosts. I'm so devout that I ignore even thinking about ghosts altogether until someone talks about them.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:41 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,944,489 times
Arguing or debating on an internet forum doesn't usually change minds or views and most people know that.

It's a sport and/or a hobby. I mean - would you ask the group of guys I play football with (no teams and we don't keep any score)"what's the point of playing against each other when neither group actually wins?"

Old 06-06-2008, 03:50 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,713,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
There seems to be an endless supply of threads here where people ("atheists") argue with religious people that hold faith in such and such.

Whats the point of all this exactly? If one holds faith in such and such they do so without reason by definition, so why try to convince them with reason that what they believe is false? It seems like the definition of a pointless endeavor to me!
What's the point in "preaching to the choir", if you'll allow the expression?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:25 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,643,187 times
It's true that minds are rarely changed on these discussions but I do think I've gotten some pretty good insights into the minds of those who think the opposite of what I think and hopefully they've had the same experience. Fortunately I never get mad or bent out of shape no matter what anyone says to me so it doesn't become something unpleasant or hostile. I honestly just like to debate because it's intellectually challenging. There have been some very sharp people on both sides of various issues that have come up and I have no problem giving someone the credit and respect they deserve when they can articulate a point of view intelligently that is the total opposite of my opinion. So in that sense I don't see it as a waste of time, I see it as people with a wide variety of opinions and abilities to express those opinions who happen to get into discussions on this forum and every once in awhile the results are quite interesting.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,359,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
It's true that minds are rarely changed on these discussions but I do think I've gotten some pretty good insights into the minds of those who think the opposite of what I think and hopefully they've had the same experience. Fortunately I never get mad or bent out of shape no matter what anyone says to me so it doesn't become something unpleasant or hostile. I honestly just like to debate because it's intellectually challenging. There have been some very sharp people on both sides of various issues that have come up and I have no problem giving someone the credit and respect they deserve when they can articulate a point of view intelligently that is the total opposite of my opinion. So in that sense I don't see it as a waste of time, I see it as people with a wide variety of opinions and abilities to express those opinions who happen to get into discussions on this forum and every once in awhile the results are quite interesting.
Amen !!!

Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,163,223 times
Quote:
What's the point in "preaching to the choir", if you'll allow the expression?
There is none, but that isn't my point.

Again, everyones comments are about debate. But people aren't Christians because of debate they are Christians (or Muslim etc) because of faith so debating isn't very useful.

Quote:
Please tell me where any atheist has tried to convince a xian that they shouldn’t believe in a god thing?
Yes this never happens and Christians never try to convince Atheists to believe in god either.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,983,083 times
Because they constantly have to reasure themselves most ;I think.I have never thought that I can make anyone beleive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality