Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 09:33 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't remember, but it is in the FAQ's and/or About The Forum. Someone asked recently there. Let me see if I can find it.
Thanks!

I fear I might be too inept and maybe even inapt to dig up the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 09:34 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, it's a claim. I can't prove it, it is just what resonates with me.
Good answer. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:29 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Thanks!

I fear I might be too inept and maybe even inapt to dig up the answer.
So am I. Can't find it. Asking other mods and awaiting an answer.

Old 02-20-2023, 12:41 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes. We're free to think differently and obviously people do. Even within the same professional circles, but it's not simply free thinking that is necessarily the issue. When instead of just enjoying the freedom to think differently there is a cause or need to establish what is the truth about a particular matter, then it takes more than just free thinking to arrive at a worthy answer.

I hope there is no need to provide examples to get general agreement about this simple truth as well...
I dont see anyone trying to establish a truth in religion, spirituality, or theology. What takes place is elucidating the different perceptions and that is the richness of philosophical thought. Materialists may not appreciate this variety and diversity, as they want a simple answer, yes or no. The is no such thing.
Science of course never deals in truth.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:54 PM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Did you mean "inept"?
I meant inapt, but inept is just as good.

Quote:
By the way, your analogy doesn't fit...just saying. Different flavors of ice cream still being ice cream does not mean a square has the same number of sides as a triangle. Are they *both shapes*...yes.
Exactly my point. You can not refute mutually exclusive concepts by using a false analogy about concepts that are NOT mutually exclusive. That is why the analogy is both inapt and inept.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:59 PM

Quote:
No more so than (sometimes very heatedly) clashing minds in the general scientific community.
Except science works, and is based on verifiable evidence.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are the one who is confused by the analogy, Harry. The sides of the figures (shapes) are equivalent to the flavors of ice cream.

Exactly my point.

A strawberry ice cream is NOT a chocolate one.

Naturally, one can argue you can mix ice cream flavors, but one can not argue a god made everything, everything made gods, every thing is a god and gods do not exist. These 4 positions are mutually exclusive, therefore Tzap's analogy was inapt.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I for one am impressed with such mastery of a third language while I struggle with a late-life attempt at basic Spanish and French, with a bit of my ancestral Dutch thrown in for fun.
Thank you, but having little work during the Corona lock down gave me a great chance to practice my English. I am confident that I shall pass my C2 exam this summer.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
His illustration was of a triangle and square having the same sides. If you want to defend that as describing it as simply "unsuitable" (when and where would that analogy be suitable?) and talk about languages, that's fine. I always find it funny when someone tries to point out someone else's mistakes by making a mistake, so I asked for clarification first. If we want to pretend it was all some grammatical act of perfection it's all good and doesn't hurt anybody, so, sounds good to me.
No, the idea was that for Tzap's analogy to be true, that members in a group can not be mutually exclusive, then she must argue that triangles and squares must have the same number of sides. As that is clearly false, the analogy was inapt, as well as inept.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
your point is well taken Jer. the "inapt" made me smile also for obvious reasons.
a quote from the bible is in order here: "They laid a snare and dug a pit for me but they themselves fell into it." "He who digs a pit will fall into it."
Proverbs 57:7 and 26:27

that is an apt quote.
So the one and only Abrahamic god made Mystic's one and only god, while gods do not exist? Three mutually exclusive theological positions you say can not be mutually exclusive.

Here is a ladder, let me help you out of that large hole you dug.

H
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality