Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 10:52 AM

63,790 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"We" don't exist?

Is that you Mystic?
We definitely exist so that is diametrically OPPOSDITE of Mystic. My spiritual friends of the Oneness and I disagree about the illusory nature of our "SELFNESS." I cannot adequately explain it verbally, but we are individual "consciousness cells" of the " multicellular consciousness of the Oneness" that you call the multiverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 01:52 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We definitely exist so that is diametrically OPPOSDITE of Mystic. My spiritual friends of the Oneness and I disagree about the illusory nature of our "SELFNESS." I cannot adequately explain it verbally, but we are individual "consciousness cells" of the " multicellular consciousness of the Oneness" that you call the multiverse.
SELFNESS, whatever that is, may indeed be illusionary. The Self is what exists, the only thing that exists. What does not is everything else that we think we are - body, mind, intellect, emotions, memory, none of this exists without the illumination of the Self. From the reflected light of the self-illumined uncreated Self, all the rest gain sentience, and ego (individual self that thinks it is the Doer) comes to be, and thus generates the death-life cycle of samsara. The Self is always what it is - pure existence, which is our true nature.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
The self is an illusion in the sense of the ego we feel as present in our consciousness, and the idea that in our consciousness we are the author of our thoughts, or that it is this ego entity of us that is having our experiences. Your whole interconnected body and brain is having the thoughts and the experiences. Thoughts stream into your conscious mind from your subconscious. Our conscious experience is more viewing our lives, than authoring it. I know it doesn't feel like that within our egos, which is why the self is an illusion.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:41 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
A question for those who are not monotheistic,

Is the " self " created?

Old 02-27-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The self is an illusion in the sense of the ego we feel as present in our consciousness, and the idea that in our consciousness we are the author of our thoughts, or that it is this ego entity of us that is having our experiences. Your whole interconnected body and brain is having the thoughts and the experiences. Thoughts stream into your conscious mind from your subconscious. Our conscious experience is more viewing our lives, than authoring it. I know it doesn't feel like that within our egos, which is why the self is an illusion.

I believe it is the ego that is an illusion! It is also the source of all our suffering. The Self is the only existence.
Language and words get in the way of understand and I think we probably are in agreement.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
A question for those who are not monotheistic,

Is the " self " created?
Self is uncreated, and thus has no extinction. It always is.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I believe it is the ego that is an illusion! It is also the source of all our suffering. The Self is the only existence.
Language and words get in the way of understand and I think we probably are in agreement.
Sounds like we're more in complete disagreement. The keyboard I'm typing this on, exists. The 'self' that is what I think of as 'me', really does not.

And yes, it depends on the definition of the self. The main point though is that the unique and subjective conscious experience in our minds, while it is something crazy and special, it is in no way separate from the physical body and brain. That notion, is what does not exist.

Our experience of consciousness, while wondrous and everything no doubt, is ultimately a part of the physiological world just like everything else is, and so in that sense, the 'self' is illusory. Especially when we refer to this 'self', as the actual originator of our thoughts and choices.

People sure like to think that it is, and they get upset when I tell them it's not, but- it's not.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:03 PM

I'll admit that the self is useful illusion, especially as far as purposes of communication. But I still think that we need to keep in mind, that it is an illusion.

And especially we need to keep in mind that human 'free will' is an illusion of an experience.

Whether because of determinism or randomness or whatever combo of those, this moment in time right now, is the only thing that's possible, and so is the next moment and next moment after that. And in my opinion, any actual God (or one worth believing in), would understand that, and so would never judge humans (or our souls, or egos) based around what they do or say. We do and say exactly what we're each capable of, and what our brains are wired to do. Flaws and limitations and all.

Thoughts are physical processes just like everything else, and subject to the same laws and interactions of the universe.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Self is uncreated, and thus has no extinction. It always is.
Now that's a big difference.

Old 02-27-2023, 06:34 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Is this true?

I'm an atheist, but I've always considered Jesus "a figure" in history. I thought it was that Jews simply didn't believe Jesus to be a deity. Just like atheists don't. But he remains a figure in human history far as most people are concerned. Even far as atheists and many Jewish people are concerned. Right?

If I am right, then your statement should be that Jesus is not a figure in history far as YOU are concerned.
This is what I thought, too. This is what I"m seeking clarification on. Thank you for re-phrasing my question so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality