Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 04:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Plenty of venom drips off theists' posts, as well. I've been a mod for four years. We see things you never will. The coldest, most heinous action I've ever seen anyone take on all of City-Data--not just R&S--was from a theist who did not like one of the mods, now deceased, simply because he was a Muslim, when he announced his terminal illness and impending death on the forum. Immediately they reported him for some minor technical violation of the TOS in his post and asked that it be deleted. You don't get more drippy with venom than that.

Another theist, now banned for other reasons, called me "Luciferian filth" for giving him yet another infraction for telling everyone else they were going to hell. I got a kick out of that one, actually, until he used it once too often and then I think the other mod sent him to the cornfield. We do give people a lot of chances.

It seems to me to be an even split, especially in the little circle of resident theists vs. atheists who seek to spar with one another on a regular basis. One throws out bait, and another swallows the hook, and off you all go, and both sides of the argument do it. I think you all secretly enjoy it, to tell the truth.
It not that I enjoy it. But we have to point out that seriously scarred people don't get to control how atheist think.

Atheism is stronger than adult children of abuse. It is totally fine for atheist to believe stuff. Its not totally fine for atheist to secretly form up, decide we are not talking about rational beliefs, don't question other atheist, its the fight against religion that is the primary goal.

More harm has been done behind the phrase "Then just don't get in our way. We are on the same team. We are fighting for you too."

Not in a belief site. Go to another site for that religious atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 04:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Think of how one man could bring an end to most life if not all life on earth if he wanted to and how the Christian pagan god would be powerless to stop him from doing it because stopping him would be encroaching on Putin's free will to destroy the world. One can see how the dogma of man's free will so dogs the Christian religion to the point that Christians get trapped in their own spider web trying to argue such nonsense.
A god that you don't believe in didn't do squat ...

Old 05-25-2022, 04:30 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
A god that you don't believe in didn't do squat ...

It should be obvious I am pointing out the flaw in a certain religion's dogma. I don't have to believe in this false god personally to do that, right?

Old 05-25-2022, 04:58 PM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
It not that I enjoy it. But we have to point out that seriously scarred people don't get to control how atheist think.

Atheism is stronger than adult children of abuse. It is totally fine for atheist to believe stuff. Its not totally fine for atheist to secretly form up, decide we are not talking about rational beliefs, don't question other atheist, its the fight against religion that is the primary goal.

More harm has been done behind the phrase "Then just don't get in our way. We are on the same team. We are fighting for you too."

You certainly have a lot of conspiracy theories. I have never "formed up" with other atheists and conspired to present a united front, and no one has ever approached me to do so. We atheists regularly disagree with each other, on this site as much as others I've visited. After all, definitionally the ONLY and SOLE thing we agree on is that we lack a belief in even one deity. Your constant talk of "religious atheism" is an oxymoron. There is no membership card, no holy book, no liturgy, no baptism. Simply not buying the argument of theism, that and that only.

And who are these "seriously scarred" people you are disparaging, anyway? I don't see that anyone subscribing to atheism here is more "scarred" than average. You are starting to sound like some theists here, running away from substantive discussion while saying things over their shoulder like "I'll pray for you" or "I hope you get your anger issues figured out".

Old 05-25-2022, 05:15 PM

20,067 posts, read 13,528,100 times
Quote:
It should be obvious I am pointing out the flaw in a certain religion's dogma. I don't have to believe in this false god personally to do that, right?
Exactly.

The durability of this trope that one must not participate in a conversation with a theist if you're not a theist yourself both amazes and baffles me. It is a complete non-sequitur. It's like saying I can't voice an opinion on public policy unless I'm a politician and in fact an elected official. It's just, frankly, irrational.

I have come to think most of this is just that atheism does not compute for believers, so they come up with various whacky explanations to try to relieve the cognitive dissonance: we're dishonest, angry, rebellious, confused, arrogant and so "methinks thou doth protest too much" starts to be the plausible under-current. Many completely forget that many if not most of us were once as they are, if not more so. And that also bugs them. We represent the unthinkable.

The other piece is that this kind of interaction was itself unthinkable just a couple of generations ago (Thanks, Internet!) and they just aren't accustomed to anything but their own echo chambers. They keep trying to swat this annoying fly that just isn't going to go away. We're way past the days when they could just shout "blasphemy!" to shut us up, too.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:19 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I always presumed the moderator’s comments are only visible to the poster.
Nope, not when we use the mod edit tags within a post left otherwise remaining; i.e, I did not type the words "moderator cut" or make it red. The system does that when we edit using the tags.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:23 PM

88,676 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:

This not a "belief site". The forum is set up the way the owner himself wanted it. And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have known that for years.

Old 05-25-2022, 05:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The forum is not owned by you...or me...or anyone else that posts here. The owner has the right to decide how the forum operates. He is represented by our moderators.

I am not comfortable in the politics & other controversies part of CityData, so I stopped going there. Too bad, because I like discussing politics. But that's the way that part of the forum operates; I can either accept that or go elsewhere. There are religious forums I have not felt comfortable on...so I left. With the constant, daily complaints, it's clear this forum does not meet your needs. You should consider finding another place to hang your hat. OR you should consider putting on ignore whichever posters bother you to the point that you complain in multiple daily posts.

Your attitude toward atheists is essentially this -- the vast majority of people believe in god, that's just the way it is, so get over it. You need to internalize that same mindset in this issue. The way this part of the forum operates is just the way it is, so get over it. My suggestion to you is to move on or start prolifically using the ignore function.

Some of your posts are quite interesting...when you actually stick to discussing the topic at hand. Unfortunately your constant whining about posting (instead of about religion) becomes very tiresome to MANY of us.
How many times do I hafta tell ya that I like it?
I've only stated that hundreds of times.
I even know why you do it so much lately....guess why?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:18 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Exactly.

The durability of this trope that one must not participate in a conversation with a theist if you're not a theist yourself both amazes and baffles me. It is a complete non-sequitur. It's like saying I can't voice an opinion on public policy unless I'm a politician and in fact an elected official. It's just, frankly, irrational.

I have come to think most of this is just that atheism does not compute for believers, so they come up with various whacky explanations to try to relieve the cognitive dissonance: we're dishonest, angry, rebellious, confused, arrogant and so "methinks thou doth protest too much" starts to be the plausible under-current. Many completely forget that many if not most of us were once as they are, if not more so. And that also bugs them. We represent the unthinkable.

The other piece is that this kind of interaction was itself unthinkable just a couple of generations ago (Thanks, Internet!) and they just aren't accustomed to anything but their own echo chambers. They keep trying to swat this annoying fly that just isn't going to go away. We're way past the days when they could just shout "blasphemy!" to shut us up, too.

Exactly. Christians don't like it when non-believers venture onto their turf. What they're terrified of is non-believers in the know pointing out all the lies, flaws, contradictions and general problems with their faith. It's why there are about a couple hundred Bible verses that are so embarrassing and horrifying that no minister in his right mind would dare go near them in his Sunday sermon. Things like:

"They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16 New International Version)

"Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives raped." (Isaiah 13:16 NIV)

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and grabs him by his penis, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. Deuteronomy 25:11

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20

After burning his daughter, Jephthah was rewarded with a prestigious judgeship and was later buried with honor. Judges 11:39 (honestly, you have to read the whole chapter 11 to see how utterly ridiculous this story is)

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." (Leviticus 26:27–29 King James Version)

And no matter how many times red-faced Christians will plead for people to just read the whole story IN CONTEXT, or that it's just figurative the truth is no amount of context or figuration can justify such disgusting rubbish being put into a holy book that people are commanded to live by.

Old 05-25-2022, 06:40 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:
Exactly. Christians don't like it when non-believers venture onto their turf. What they're terrified of is non-believers in the know pointing out all the lies, flaws, contradictions and general problems with their faith. It's why there are about a couple hundred Bible verses that are so embarrassing and horrifying that no minister in his right mind would dare go near them in his Sunday sermon. Things like:

"They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open." (Hosea 13:4, 9, 16 New International Version)

"Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives raped." (Isaiah 13:16 NIV)

If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and grabs him by his penis, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity. Deuteronomy 25:11

There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. Ezekiel 23:20

After burning his daughter, Jephthah was rewarded with a prestigious judgeship and was later buried with honor. Judges 11:39 (honestly, you have to read the whole chapter 11 to see how utterly ridiculous this story is)

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." (Leviticus 26:27–29 King James Version)

And no matter how many times red-faced Christians will plead for people to just read the whole story IN CONTEXT, or that it's just figurative the truth is no amount of context or figuration can justify such disgusting rubbish being put into a holy book that people are commanded to live by.
Bothers ya, huh?
Most unfortunate for you that the world is over half Abrahamic Religious...I can tell your angst is at top level, and this thread is prima facie evidence of that..
I will pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality