Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2019, 10:12 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,763,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
it was how it was framed? I guess that means we didn't list what was actually said and reacted with our emotions to the words used? and some of us can't undo those reactions? yuppers.

" ... about reality and human perception..." so anti-god and my god only are locked in a warped world view in that they are trying to describe how the universe works based on an emotional connection to a personal statement of belief about god. Or a personal connection to the answer based on their private emotions. Why ... yeah again.

all in all that line of reason is exactly why we (the middle man) will always be in danger from the two ends of the same fundy-think-type boob stick. the actual statement of belief is less disconcerting than the personality of the person expressing those beliefs.
I need to ponder what you are explaining here a bit longer, before I can suggest I completely understand. I wonder if perhaps it might help to put your thoughts into bullet form...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
eratum.

Misstyping it 'none' could have been seen as deprecating.
I'm pretty good at recognizing a typo when I see one, as I also try not to sweat the small stuff...

Old 11-02-2019, 09:56 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm pretty good at recognizing a typo when I see one, as I also try not to sweat the small stuff...
All credit to you. But I felt it needful to correct myself for those of Lesser Soul..

Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 AM

7,600 posts, read 4,177,338 times
The thing with truths, Learnme, is that they can end a discussion or they need answers. What is it that you are trying to accomplish with your 10 truths?

Old 11-03-2019, 06:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,612,667 times
Quote:
People often like to begin explaining something by saying, "the truth is..."

Tends to draw attention to what I believe anyway, but always curious to see how people react to such things. Funny how people address HOW I wrote what I wrote rather than the subject at hand. Bit of a surprise about that for me. As explained a few times already, I simply put my thoughts down as a personal exercise back when I was starting college. I had studied the world religions, and I just wanted to "practice" putting my conclusions down on paper. I was reminded of them in this forum, and yes, first they were nine. Then given my experience posting those nine in this forum, input both positive and negative, I edited the nine and added the tenth. All to invite anyone to share their thoughts about the same subject if they wished. Nothing more and nothing less (as if there can ever be much of anything more accomplished in this forum)...
The guide line is ..." just doesn't have the same impact.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,612,667 times
Quote:
I need to ponder what you are explaining here a bit longer, before I can suggest I completely understand. I wonder if perhaps it might help to put your thoughts into bullet form...
You are absolutely correct, I put your post in bullet form. Then I listed your adjectives. I do that for claims made by people. When i did that your post was ok. I don't agree with all the wording but you Made it clear it wan't about being right or wrong, as per one of the bullet points.

they are fine guidelines ... until we make rules in them that is.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
The thing with truths, Learnme, is that they can end a discussion or they need answers. What is it that you are trying to accomplish with your 10 truths?
I've posted many a comment to let be known I don't think much of anything is accomplished in this forum, but if you are asking me to clarify my thoughts about this subject, please be specific. About which truth?

Also I have explained how these truths came to me, when and why. Mostly for personal reasons, then reminded of them because of exchange about this topic in this forum. Finally edited and a tenth truth added as a result of input and further experience in this forum.

I doubt anyone could believe I would start a thread to "end a discussion." In fact the opposite, as I think true with just about everyone who starts a thread. Right?

Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
You are absolutely correct, I put your post in bullet form. Then I listed your adjectives. I do that for claims made by people. When i did that your post was ok. I don't agree with all the wording but you Made it clear it wan't about being right or wrong, as per one of the bullet points.

they are fine guidelines ... until we make rules in them that is.
Not sure I can fault your approach or thinking along these lines, and yes...

It isn't so much about the format or wording, though I always do try to make myself as clear as possible. It's about the message. First, is the message properly understood? Next, do people mostly agree or disagree? Finally, why?

What I enumerate is also an effort to establish a foundation on which to build a conclusion. A conclusion I came to long ago when I wore a much younger man's clothes...

Old 11-03-2019, 10:34 PM

7,600 posts, read 4,177,338 times
Quote:
I've posted many a comment to let be known I don't think much of anything is accomplished in this forum, but if you are asking me to clarify my thoughts about this subject, please be specific. About which truth?

Also I have explained how these truths came to me, when and why. Mostly for personal reasons, then reminded of them because of exchange about this topic in this forum. Finally edited and a tenth truth added as a result of input and further experience in this forum.

I doubt anyone could believe I would start a thread to "end a discussion." In fact the opposite, as I think true with just about everyone who starts a thread. Right?
I didn't mean this discussion, but other discussions. That is what conclusions do and that is what your ten truths do. And when I say 'answers' I don't necessarily mean searching for my answers or for clarity. It could mean that. But conclusions are answers to questions. The question itself is usually not the issue. It is the motivation for the question.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I didn't mean this discussion, but other discussions. That is what conclusions do and that is what your ten truths do. And when I say 'answers' I don't necessarily mean searching for my answers or for clarity. It could mean that. But conclusions are answers to questions. The question itself is usually not the issue. It is the motivation for the question.
Not sure I follow, but I've tried to address what I thought you were asking of me (as we get further away from the topic of this thread)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality