Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 05:22 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,834,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What's your point? The robot is a TV actor with a roboticised voice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If there is no grand design, and no grand designer then it means that all matter has combined by mere chance, the universe, and all matter within the verse including your brain and how the molecules and atoms formed in a way that made you an Atheist, BY CHANCE.

That all the philosophies of men, their logic and all their approaches to reality are the results of mere fortuity.

That you are I think by chance because the molecules and atoms in our brains formed in such a way as we had no choice but to believe what we believe.
It is Not by 'mere chance'. It Is without an intended objective (that means, no Intelligent designer). Evolution is a little 'mere chance' than the progression from a powered kite to a supersonic aircraft. We were driven by the needs to the environment rather than the needs of conflict or economy.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM

88,794 posts, read 85,207,717 times
Quote:
If there is no grand design, and no grand designer then it means that all matter has combined by mere chance, the universe, and all matter within the verse including your brain and how the molecules and atoms formed in a way that made you an Atheist, BY CHANCE.

That all the philosophies of men, their logic and all their approaches to reality are the results of mere fortuity.

That you are I think by chance because the molecules and atoms in our brains formed in such a way as we had no choice but to believe what we believe.
Reality's not all it's cracked up to be, anyway.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Neither is democracy, the legal system or human morality, but it's the best we got.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 AM

7,612 posts, read 4,187,317 times
Quote:
ONE: There are essentially two realities for all human beings. One reality is as we perceive it to be, our personal reality. The second reality is all that truly exists in the universe, the same for all of us. Our universal truth.
There is only one reality, it is existence and our ability or inability to respond to this existence. Since this is the same for all of us, then this is a universal truth.

The idea of perception exists because some people respond better to the environment than others. Why some respond better than others is the pursuit of truth. The pursuit of truth can be precise or be speculative. Precise attempts include making inferences, which require evidence to support it. It also requires an explanation on how the evidence was linked to the inference.

But if information is limited, either by choice because a person didn't research enough or because we have not figured out a way to gather the information, then all we can do is make a best guess. Speculating is not bad. A person just needs to know when they are doing it. For example, I am doing it now since I responded to your post without any supportive sources. Any challenges to my best guesses will be welcomed rather than seen as an attack.

Quote:
NINE: Faith can and does promote goodwill between some people.
Since you used the word "some", then this is not a universal truth, nor is it a supportive conclusion in general about faith. Faith is often used as one's own truth, which some call their perception. But it is not universal truth.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Neither is democracy, the legal system or human morality, but it's the best we got.
Not always. I posted that right after I posted the same thing on the 9/11 Support Group FB page.

Most of us get varying degrees of PTSD effects rising up in August as the anniversary looms, but I was away from the NY metro area for August and dodged that annual bit of reality. I came back this week to reality world and BAM. Nightmares and crap. Sometimes avoiding reality really is the best.

Time spent in nature works best for me in that regard, though, not religion. And that's MY "truth".

Old 09-14-2019, 09:02 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,431,470 times
Quote:
Not always. I posted that right after I posted the same thing on the 9/11 Support Group FB page.

Most of us get varying degrees of PTSD effects rising up in August as the anniversary looms, but I was away from the NY metro area for August and dodged that annual bit of reality. I came back this week to reality world and BAM. Nightmares and crap. Sometimes avoiding reality really is the best.

Time spent in nature works best for me in that regard, though, not religion. And that's MY "truth".
Sorry to hear that, MQ.

Thanks. My stuff is minor compared to some other people's. (Didn't mean to take the thread OT, sorry.)

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-14-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM

23,261 posts, read 10,548,454 times
Quote:
LOL, aint that the truth.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
LOL, aint that the truth.
As the old saying goes, reality's for people who can't handle drugs!

Old 09-14-2019, 11:06 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,791,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
There is only one reality, it is existence and our ability or inability to respond to this existence. Since this is the same for all of us, then this is a universal truth.

The idea of perception exists because some people respond better to the environment than others. Why some respond better than others is the pursuit of truth. The pursuit of truth can be precise or be speculative. Precise attempts include making inferences, which require evidence to support it. It also requires an explanation on how the evidence was linked to the inference.

But if information is limited, either by choice because a person didn't research enough or because we have not figured out a way to gather the information, then all we can do is make a best guess. Speculating is not bad. A person just needs to know when they are doing it. For example, I am doing it now since I responded to your post without any supportive sources. Any challenges to my best guesses will be welcomed rather than seen as an attack.

Since you used the word "some", then this is not a universal truth, nor is it a supportive conclusion in general about faith. Faith is often used as one's own truth, which some call their perception. But it is not universal truth.
Mostly agree and where I don't is mostly semantics but I'm glad to read yet another take on what these Ten Truths attempt to convey, even if done piecemeal...

I would say, however, that universal truth does not depend on "our ability or inability to respond to this existence." Hate to say "it is what it is," but universal truth really has nothing to do with how well we understand it. The truth is what it is whether we recognize it or not. These ten truths as a whole are more about how we might better attempt to determine universal truth without killing ourselves in the process either way.

You only partly quote truth nine. "NINE: Faith can and does promote goodwill between some people."

I used the word "some" because it would not be correct to suggest faith can and does promote goodwill between ALL people. Please read NINE further and/or SIX.

Thanks as well for what seems to be the thicker skin, not so sensitive about "challenges" about your "best guesses." Yours are welcomed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality