Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 11:17 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not always. I posted that right after I posted the same thing on the 9/11 Support Group FB page.

Most of us get varying degrees of PTSD effects rising up in August as the anniversary looms, but I was away from the NY metro area for August and dodged that annual bit of reality. I came back this week to reality world and BAM. Nightmares and crap. Sometimes avoiding reality really is the best.

Time spent in nature works best for me in that regard, though, not religion. And that's MY "truth".
I have often said to people who ask about my church that my church is out in nature. (And no doubt I spend a lot more time in my "church" than most people do in theirs).

Again maybe just semantics or how we have different perspectives about such things, but knowing what is going on -- reality -- even with respect to PTSD can be a worthwhile thing. A good thing. I don't believe that "avoiding reality" is really best, though some say "ignorance is bliss."

Best far as I'm concerned is to know what we should know and not kid ourselves about the truth. We should seek out the truth on matters of importance regardless whether the result tends to suit us or not. In a way it's something like "knowing your enemy." We're better off knowing what we can about what will help us, ideally based on truth rather than fiction. That said, we all know the placebo pill works for lots of people too, so here's where the differences between all of us comes into play.

Also why I often point out there is little good that generally comes from "shaking" someone's faith. They may very well be better off believing whatever they want to believe regardless the truth. These ten truths, however, are about how to deal with our differences in a reasonable and peaceful manner. To do so, some basic "ground rules" simply need to be understood and embraced.

All the best dealing with your PTSD either way. "Whatever works!" I hope whatever works well for you. Sincerely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What's your point? The robot is a TV actor with a roboticised voice.
Say what?

You mean the robot isn't real? After all the many times the robot saved Will Robinson? Care to prove what you're positing here?!?

Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sorry to hear that, MQ.

Thanks. My stuff is minor compared to some other people's. (Didn't mean to take the thread OT, sorry.)
At least this thread author has no problem with topics that might veer this way or that. Adds to the "flavor" if you ask me, and no doubt the topic of the thread will be more directly addressed here and there down the road as well, if it lasts at all. No worries either way.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:43 AM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

<snip>

Again maybe just semantics or how we have different perspectives about such things, but knowing what is going on -- reality -- even with respect to PTSD can be a worthwhile thing. A good thing. I don't believe that "avoiding reality" is really best, though some say "ignorance is bliss."

<snip>
Are you implying that there is something good about PTSD? If so, I vehemently disagree.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:53 AM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
LearnMe, perhaps I am misreading or misunderstanding your point(s), but doesn't this.....

Quote:
I don't believe that "avoiding reality" is really best, though some say "ignorance is bliss." Best far as I'm concerned is to know what we should know and not kid ourselves about the truth. We should seek out the truth on matters of importance regardless whether the result tends to suit us or not.
...contradict this....

Quote:
Also why I often point out there is little good that generally comes from "shaking" someone's faith. They may very well be better off believing whatever they want to believe regardless the truth.
??

Old 09-14-2019, 12:07 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are you implying that there is something good about PTSD? If so, I vehemently disagree.
I would have to say that good does come out of trauma related brain functions, well, somebody as messed up as me has to think that way. I was one person before trauma, and I came out the other side a different person, it changed the chemicals in my brain or how my brain works, and it works from just one side.

I have to look at this as a blessing rather than looking at what doctors may say of me.

I guess that with most people you would be correct, that maybe most of the time with most people, it is a curse, like Queeny might start having unwanted dreams and things that bring up bad memories of what she went through, and that would be terrible, but with me, it changed me so much that little is left of who I was before the trauma.

When I finally realized how changed I was, I just went with it. The first time I became aware is when I couldn't sleep or work unless I finshed the Houston post crossword puzzle. It was like life or death to me, nobody understood lol, it just suddenly occured to me how messed up I really was, and then I focussed having realized that I was now such an obsessed compulsive person that I wasn't even the same person anymore.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the question, because if anyone should get from my comment what you seem to be getting, I appreciate this opportunity to make this much better understood...

"Again maybe just semantics or how we have different perspectives about such things, but knowing what is going on -- reality -- even with respect to PTSD can be a worthwhile thing. A good thing. I don't believe that "avoiding reality" is really best, though some say "ignorance is bliss."

To say that understanding PTSD, it's causes, how best to recognize it, treat it, are all GOOD things.

In fact, we went many decades not really understanding what PTSD was all about. That it was even a thing. now we KNOW better, and this too is a GOOD thing.

That's all.

Now might we more vehemently agree about this?

Old 09-14-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
LearnMe, perhaps I am misreading or misunderstanding your point(s), but doesn't this.....

...contradict this....

??
Thanks for your question too. I think not and here's why...

I think we are better off knowing what is the truth, whether it necessarily suits us or not, but I also recognize there are people who don't necessarily agree with me about this or think the way I do. For them it may very well be they are better off believing whatever nonsense "gets them through the night."

Accordingly, while I think we are better off knowing the truth generally speaking, I can't say everyone can handle the truth in a mature intelligent manner.

Some people just "can't handle the truth!"

Old 09-14-2019, 01:11 PM

1,402 posts, read 478,103 times
Quote:
Some people just "can't handle the truth!"
Of course, Col. Jessep was hauled off to the brig not long after saying that. Jus sayin.....

Old 09-14-2019, 02:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Actually, there is.

People with PTSD have an heightened sense of awareness in their surroundings that far exceeds what is normal.

That's a positive thing.

It's only negative when it impedes or prevents a person from functioning normally or performing day-to-day tasks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality