Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 AM

16,816 posts, read 5,022,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I believe in God, so there's no need for me to ask an atheist about anything. They're just going to try to convince me they're right, and my position on the existence of God will not change. But if they wish to engage me in an adult conversation about scriptures, I'm open to it.
No, we are here for those willing to look at other arguments.

This is not about you.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:31 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,478,003 times
It's not about me...yet you quoted and responded to two of my posts where I wasn't addressing you specifically. Mkay.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,614,119 times
Quote:
To me, atheists should be some of the happiest people on earth. But many of them seem so miserable. I think it's because they really aren't sure they're right, and they know what awaits them if they're wrong.
Does that also explain the crying and sorrow that a fundies show just before they die?

What’s the point of tears at a funeral?

Old 07-04-2018, 05:23 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,614,119 times
Quote:
I believe in God, so there's no need for me to ask an atheist about anything. They're just going to try to convince me they're right, and my position on the existence of God will not change. But if they wish to engage me in an adult conversation about scriptures, I'm open to it.
I love atheist pretending to be cra cra

Old 07-04-2018, 06:02 AM

Quote:
It's not about me...yet you quoted and responded to two of my posts where I wasn't addressing you specifically. Mkay.
Yes. I was pointing why you were wrong so others could see where your arguments failed.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,356,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
More likely Humanism which has a passion to make religion void , where people of atheism alone just want to be left alone and does not care about people who are religious
That was fine, until people who are religious decided that they had a religious duty to become a united voting block which would enable them to impose their religious beliefs on the rest of us. At which point people who are not religious realized that the only way to combat religious foolishness was to actively shine a light on it, exposing it for the nonsense it has always been.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 AM

88,725 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Atheists are so extreme that even moderates seem fundy to them. If anyone can think for his or herself, and isn't an atheist, he/she is automatically a fundy and threat to their feeble and limited brains
I have not found that to be true of most of the atheists on here. Although I know that some of them probably psychically pat me on the head for my belief in something larger and unknowable, they seem to accept and respect it for the most part. Probably because I am not trying to persuade them that I am right and they are wrong.

I have less of an issue with atheists than I do with people who warp Christianity into a shield behind which they can exclude and harm other people by claiming God said this or that.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:04 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have not found that to be true of most of the atheists on here. Although I know that some of them probably psychically pat me on the head for my belief in something larger and unknowable, they seem to accept and respect it for the most part. Probably because I am not trying to persuade them that I am right and they are wrong.

I have less of an issue with atheists than I do with people who warp Christianity into a shield behind which they can exclude and harm other people by claiming God said this or that.
you are speaking to the middle of the roader. Most atheist do not make choices in life based on god or no god. They believe what they believe, like things such as cosmic minds, and are willing to let people be so long as the rights of others aren't stampeded.

Thor is talking about the atheists that is totally defined by "no-god" and "anti-religion" and every choice they make is based on those blind faith statements. These atheists are exactly the Fundy theists that is defined by their religion. Unfortunately, forums are a place that these personality disorders get a voice. Out in the real, we kind of just stay away from them.

but you are correct. most atheist and most theist don't fit those molds.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you are speaking to the middle of the roader. Most atheist do not make choices in life based on god or no god. They believe what they believe, like things such as cosmic minds, and are willing to let people be so long as the rights of others aren't stampeded.

Thor is talking about the atheists that is totally defined by "no-god" and "anti-religion" and every choice they make is based on those blind faith statements. These atheists are exactly the Fundy theists that is defined by their religion. Unfortunately, forums are a place that these personality disorders get a voice. Out in the real, we kind of just stay away from them.

but you are correct. most atheist and most theist don't fit those molds.
No, Thoreau is straw manning ALL atheists as narrow minded people who can not think for themselves.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:49 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,356,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Atheists are so extreme that even moderates seem fundy to them. If anyone can think for his or herself, and isn't an atheist, he/she is automatically a fundy and threat to their feeble and limited brains
Like most people in this world I was raised to believe in a specific religion. In my case it was Christianity. By the time I was thirteen however, it had become apparent to me that religious claims are far too silly to be true. That was in 1961. I was an atheist by default at that point, even though I had never even met another openly avowed atheist. I reached the conclusion that religious claims are too silly to be true all on my own by thinking for myself. My lifetime of Christian programing had failed to take hold. It happens to some people.

When we look at the world, we notice that there are areas of the world that are predominantly all one religious belief or another. That is because for the overwhelming majority of people, their lifetime of religious programing HAS WORKED. By in large people are not programed to think for themselves. People are programmed to accept what they are told uncritically. Even when what they are programed to believe is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality