Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times

Advertisements

Exegetical preaching is when a pastor takes a portion of Scripture, and he gives a critical explanation or interpretation of the text or verses from that particular book of the bible. Topical preaching is when a pastor takes one verse and preaches about that verse for any given topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I do verse by verse expository preaching. I am currently working through Acts. This past week was Acts 13:13-52. This week I start on chapter 14.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 PM

535 posts, read 967,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Exegetical preaching is when a pastor takes a portion of Scripture, and he gives a critical explanation or interpretation of the text or verses from that particular book of the bible. Topical preaching is when a pastor takes one verse and preaches about that verse for any given topic.
Hi antredd, this is a great topic that few give much thought to. One source I've read lists three types: 1. Expository 2. Topical and 3. Textual. Maybe the pastors out there can tell me something.
I've read another book that gives these:
1. Expository
2. Textual
3. Biographical
4. Historical Incident
5. Personal Testimony
6. Topical

No, my pastor mixes it up quite a bit.

Wasn't it John MacArthur who said, "A boring preacher is a contradiction in terms."

Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 AM

183 posts, read 192,847 times
I have a pocket full of quarters.
You ask me how many quarters I have in my pocket.
I pull out one quarter and show you, put the quarter back in my pocket, pull out another, put it back in my pocket, repeat.

You will never know how many quarters in my pocket.

EVERY pastor does this with scripture.

I have attended virtually every denomination and have yet to attend a church that teaches the bible. Pastors are either ignorant or intentionally refuse to teach the entire Word with context.
I have yet to find a pastor who will teach the beyond the gospels or the OT in context with the gospels or Revelation.

Keep the sheeple fat and happy, tickle the ears, pass the collection plate.

If there where a hell it will be filled with pastors and preachers and priests. The dark ages remain.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
I went to a Pentecostal church. they are none of the above types of preaching. they are motivators. if you don't clap and shout, you will hear silly things such as. " nobody is hearing me", " can I get a witness", " give the lord a handclap", they will say anything to have you scream, 'hallelujah' and 'amen' very loud. they are those type of preachers that need that instant gratification.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepherdMaster View Post
I pull out one quarter and show you, put the quarter back in my pocket, pull out another, put it back in my pocket, repeat.

I have attended virtually every denomination and have yet to attend a church that teaches the bible. Pastors are either ignorant or intentionally refuse to teach the entire Word with context.
I have yet to find a pastor who will teach the beyond the gospels or the OT in context with the gospels or Revelation.

If there where a hell it will be filled with pastors and preachers and priests. The dark ages remain.
I just preached through the Gospel of John. I preached it in context, and used the OT for reference. I am currently preaching through Acts. Last weekend I preached chapter 13, where Paul gave a sermon--and he referenced several OT passages. I went back and looked at each passage and explained it.

I really don't know what you mean when you say that no pastor ever preaches the full text. I'm sure you're probably smarter than me and you would leave my church complaining that I didn't preach all of it.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:52 PM

535 posts, read 967,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I just preached through the Gospel of John. I preached it in context, and used the OT for reference. I am currently preaching through Acts. Last weekend I preached chapter 13, where Paul gave a sermon--and he referenced several OT passages. I went back and looked at each passage and explained it.

I really don't know what you mean when you say that no pastor ever preaches the full text. I'm sure you're probably smarter than me and you would leave my church complaining that I didn't preach all of it.
Our pastor has preached this way through all the books of the NT, more than once. I enjoy this immensely. I think deeper meaning can be reached, at least for myself. He also references a variety of sources to help explain verses and passages. He is the first to admit he doesn't have all the answers to all things biblical, and he searches the writings of many of the great theologians and bible scholars. He's not afraid to offer differing viewpoints, within reason.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:22 PM

198 posts, read 262,943 times
Quote:

You shouldn't say EVERY, because every pastor isn't the same. Mine does a good job of TEACHING so that we are not ignorant concerning God's word. He doesn't just say something to make us feel good. He helps us LEARN the word of God and encourages us to study for ourselves and not take his word for it.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM

183 posts, read 192,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Do you teach that Christ will slaughter them for their iniquity? Or do you ignore the wrath? Do you teach- no repentance, no salvation? Or do you teach- salvation after the utterance? Once saved, always saved?
Do you teach that it is was Christ himself that killed the fist born of Egypt? Do you teach that Jesus is the Judge?
Or do you teach that Jesus was just some long-haired hippy? He did not have long hair...BTW... and he was homely.

The Sixth Trumpet
13And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God, 14Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. 15And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men. 16And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them. 17And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone. 18By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths. 19For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.
20And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: 21Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Do you teach that Christ will slaughter them for their iniquity?
I told them that, quite honestly, God "ought to just throw the whole lot of us into hell". I then told them that without Christ, that's where we go. If you don't know him, you will go to hell.
Quote:

Or do you ignore the wrath? Do you teach- no repentance, no salvation?
My calls to repentance are always repentance and trust. Repentance doesn't earn salvation--but it is indicative of it.
Quote:

Or do you teach- salvation after the utterance? Once saved, always saved?
I teach that once God saves us, he won't lose us. That's what the Bible teaches.
Quote:

Do you teach that it is was Christ himself that killed the fist born of Egypt?
I've never taught that passage, to be honest.
Quote:

Do you teach that Jesus is the Judge?
I've taught Revelation in a Men's Bible study--and that he would be leading the armies of heaven back to judge the world. I have yet to preach through Revelation in church. I did compare/contrast his triumphant entry on Palm Sunday to his return in glory to judge the world in Revelation.
Quote:

Or do you teach that Jesus was just some long-haired hippy?
The Bible doesn't describe his appearance....he may have had long hair, maybe not. His hair length isn't relevant.
Quote:

He did not have long hair...BTW... and he was homely.
The scripture says there is nothing special about his appearance--I'm not aware of a verse that calls him homely. Nor does it mention his hair length.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity