Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Last guy who wanted to pray for me was my ex-wife's preacher while I was in a hospital bed.

I suggested to him that it be best for him to find something to do that would actually be helpful. He knew I was an atheist, how DARE he try and insult me when he thought I was vulnerable. NO, it is NOT a kind thing to do. It was meaningless, and a rote comment.
I am sorry. I didn't mean it as being disrespectful. Just showing love. I'm sure the minister was just trying to show love to you too.

Last edited by Eusebius; 07-16-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 04:17 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I am sorry. I didn't mean it as being disrespectful. Just showing love. I'm sure the minister was just trying to show love to you too.
It does show insensitivity. If you do not know if someone is religious or not it is not being disrespectful, but if you do know that the person does not believe in any gods it could be viewed as disrespectful. Same as you would not tell a Jew that Jesus is with him.

I know it was not a message to me, any you were not wanting to be disrespectful. Some are though that when you tell them you don't believe their response to you is they will pray for you so 6ou can or a similar sendiment.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If you believe, like you have demonstrated here, that not all people have equal rights, YOU are the hypocrite.

If you believe, like you have demonstrated here, that your religion should have supremacy over all others, YOU are the hypocrite.

If you believe, like you have demonstrated here, that the Constitution and its interpretations by SCOTUS are meaningless, YOU are the hypocrite.
I believe in basic equal rights for all. I don't believe those rights should go to such extremes that it destroys other people's right. I believe in giving. Not taking away to give.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Wow. What a stinking pile of baseless, hateful, hyperbole and garbage.

Your "faith" (though I don't think it can truly be called such) must be so, so very pathetically shallow and weak. So weak and rigid you continually have to lie and spew venom to try to bolster it up. Really embarrassing and shameful of you.

Do you actually consider yourself a good Christian? Do you think the majority of other Christians would think this of you?
Well done. The fact that you are so offended here shows me that atheists don't really even buy into
the atheist mentality. Deep down somewhere, I have no doubt that you know that God exists. And atheist bury that by going on the attack against Christianity, piling mock or fishing for Bible contradictions or negative stories about Christians because that you think that somehow invalidates our faith.

But if we are to truly accept that there is no God and we are only here by random meaningless forces, then everything I said is true. The love you have for your family and friends is nothing more than a chemical reaction in your brain. It doesn't matter if someone mr. charity of the year or a lying scoundrel, we all end up as compost heap. You're right. It is garbage because it's a lie. We are all created by God as unique human beings and every life is precious to Him.

Quote:

Which chapter and verse exhorts you to behave that way?
Matthew 10:22 Thank you for proving the Bible yet again.

The rest of your rant is just nonsense not worth my time or effort to address.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It does show insensitivity. If you do not know if someone is religious or not it is not being disrespectful, but if you do know that the person does not believe in any gods it could be viewed as disrespectful. Same as you would not tell a Jew that Jesus is with him.

I know it was not a message to me, any you were not wanting to be disrespectful. Some are though that when you tell them you don't believe their response to you is they will pray for you so 6ou can or a similar sendiment.
Yes, I was really trying to hold out an olive branch to TRANSPONDER. Taking the high road is much better than returning evil for evil. We should all try to get along on these boards.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, I was really trying to hold out an olive branch to TRANSPONDER. Taking the high road is much better than returning evil for evil. We should all try to get along on these boards.
Yes we should and I think most of us do. It also seems to be easier to do.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Wow. What a stinking pile of baseless, hateful, hyperbole and garbage.

Your "faith" (though I don't think it can truly be called such) must be so, so very pathetically shallow and weak. So weak and rigid you continually have to lie and spew venom to try to bolster it up. Really embarrassing and shameful of you.

Do you actually consider yourself a good Christian? Do you think the majority of other Christians would think this of you?

You're being called a hypocrite not because you are a Christian. It would be idiotic and groundless to say all Christians are hypocrites, although you constantly make similar, and worse, claims about other groups, like you just did of atheists (quoted above.)

THIS is one of the reasons you are a hypocrite. Hypocrisy is a human condition, neither exclusive to any particular group, nor true of every member of any given group.

In your case, what you so frequently and hypocritically do, is call out an entire group as fitting some stereotype and accuse them of this or that thing which you are doing at the same time.

It could be that since you consider yourself a Christian (somehow, even in light of being a marginal example of kindness, forgiveness, and being non-judgemental, at least as far as what can be deduced from what you post here) you consider yourself so special as to be above the fray, not beholden to the same standards as those lesser beings who believe differently than you.

Christian thought and belief can be a very special, profound thing. But there's nothing special about your brand of it. Your brand of it is vile and harsh and brittle. It makes me sad. If you had real faith, I think you'd have more love and acceptance in your heart, even towards those you felt weren't treating you with love and acceptance.

Rising above in this way is one of the more beautiful aspects to Christianity, to me.

I sincerely hope you find your way to some more en-light-enment. I really do. It will bring you more peace when you become less intolerant.

Or, you can come back like an angry playground kid again, with the "Waaah, they were mean to me first!" victim card.

Which chapter and verse exhorts you to behave that way?
Congratulations, I see later that Jeff gave you one of his famous posts twisting whatever you said agaist yourself. You are now in good company.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes we should and I think most of us do. It also seems to be easier to do.

Right on!

Old 07-16-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Right on!
We found something to agree on ?

😀

Old 07-16-2016, 07:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
I take you at your word, and mean that. I don't think of you as a mean spirited person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.