Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,877,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes, I do recall the suggestion that the leaves actually grew under water as it makes the chronology a bit tight to have the water go down, and Noah release a raven which can't find anywhere to land.

And then the water goes down further (0) . And an olive tree pokes its branches out of the drink and grows a few leaves, which the dove (held back to allow time for the leaf to grow...I should write material for Ricky Gervaise) gets released in time to pluck it and proudly show it to Noah, on the strength of which he decides to let all the aminals out. Well, if I'd have been the T Rex after a years' growth, I'd have taken one look and then clawed Noah to hash.

So..if Eusebius now opts for allowing time for the leaves to grow, that supports his other argument that grass could have grown, at least on the upper slopes of the mountain where the mud wasn't too deep (remember that some flood levels are ten twenty or fifty feet deep) and thus there was fodder for for the herbivores.

For about a week. that is. And nothing but Clean beasts (which Noah couldn't really spare) for the carnivores.

Really, while the Ark itself is logistically a nightmare, even with all the ingenious suggestions of poop removing mechanisms, shrivelling all the myriad species down to a handful of "Kinds" (1) and a freeze -drying industry to make the preservation of foodstores (2) for about a year at least sound believable, the survival of a bunch of animals in a devastated world, even without the pressing need to get super -evolution under way, surely has to deal the death -blow to the whole Ark and Flood scenario.

(0) or maybe that was the mountains inflating from just low hills (still high enough to have a permanent snowline, mind) to their present height, all in a frickin' WEEK it seems. (Creation theory seems to end up as everything Evilooshin teaches but speeded up madly to fit into a few thousand years rather than a few million, or even a fortnight, in extreme cases - for the whole inflation of the Andes, Rckies and Himalayas.)

(1) I must say that Ken Hamm is quite brilliant in getting over the argument of "Where are the Baryma?" by selecting early transitional forms (such as Pakicetus) as the basis "Kinds" from which the species would super-evolve. Because Transitionals are of course found in the fossil record.

(2) even if, as Eusebius argues, Koalas (or whatever marsupial "Kind" later became Koalas, Kangaroos, Wallabies, Dingbats and Drongoes) didn't necessarily need eucalyptus leaves. Thy had to eat something, and unless they ate dirt, it would go off in a couple of months, whatever it was.
Of course. If you are Edgar or some other dingbat fundy, all l you need to invoke is ...MAGIC...and everything falls into place.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:28 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,841,264 times
Y'all have more patience than me. No way am I going down that rabbit hole of ad-hoc rationalizations.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:57 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,118,404 times
How many people showed up to see you? I'd say 4000 minus 4000.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:02 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,785,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Y'all have more patience than me. No way am I going down that rabbit hole of ad-hoc rationalizations.
Well fssznorlax, I sorta enjoy the Fantasy. As the old atheist saying goes, iIt's like playing Dwarf wargaming with a pidgeon. It's so satisfying if you can actually win a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
How many people showed up to see you? I'd say 4000 minus 4000.
In fact, I don't know about fsszznorelax, since his stats are locked against Hackers, but I'm pulling in 10,000+ hits per day, regular. But then of course, I don't charge $40 a head.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,239,539 times
Seems totally inappropriate to gear this thing towards children and then tell them that the earth is 5,000 years old and men and dinosaurs were walking around at the same time.

Adults know this isn't true, but you could seriously confuse and stunt a child to be putting so much contradictory information in their heads. Think about how much harder they're going to have to try in the real world to get ahead in life when they think that fairytales are true.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:32 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,841,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Well fssznorlax, I sorta enjoy the Fantasy. As the old atheist saying goes, iIt's like playing Dwarf wargaming with a pidgeon. It's so satisfying if you can actually win a few.

In fact, I don't know about fsszznorelax, since his stats are locked against Hackers, but I'm pulling in 10,000+ hits per day, regular. But then of course, I don't charge $40 a head.
Eh, I just joined not too long ago. When I set up accounts online i default to turn everything off

Old 07-26-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Eh, I just joined not too long ago. When I set up accounts online i default to turn everything off
That's ok. I just noted when I checked your hits. Btw, pardon me for playing about with your screen name I just love it and like rolling it around my tongue.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Seems totally inappropriate to gear this thing towards children and then tell them that the earth is 5,000 years old and men and dinosaurs were walking around at the same time.
Well, if it's ok for Hannah and Barbara to do it...

Quote:
Adults know this isn't true, but you could seriously confuse and stunt a child to be putting so much contradictory information in their heads. Think about how much harder they're going to have to try in the real world to get ahead in life when they think that fairytales are true.
Unfortunately, many kids are brought up by people who have neither the training nor talent for doing so, and they would be offended if anyone said so and horrified if anyone suggested letting the state do it. There is a suspicious watching brief on schools as it is (by both sides ) to see that they aren't indoctrinating the kids behind the parents' backs.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So, it is perfectly OK to put the taxpayers of Williamstown at risk due to the TIF bond issue that financed the bulk of the building? It is perfectly OK that the employees of the Ark Encounter are assessed a 2% tax on their gross earnings to fund the bond repayment? I can imagine the uproar if the State of Kentucky raised their State income tax by that amount! It would be a 25% increase on their TOP bracket, and I doubt many of these employees make that, $75K a year.

Can you just imagine the outrage at a 25% tax increase? From 6% to 8%? Yet these probably mostly minimum wage earners have to contribute 2% of their income to fund the bond repayment.
If I worked for a 'company' that tried to assess a 2% tax on my gross income, claiming that it was to help pay down their debt, somebody would be getting a faceful of fist, or worse.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,099,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
There is no such thing as "proof & facts"...not that is infallible, anyway.
Claiming "proof & facts" is bogus. You could be wrong...nothing is infallible.
All anyone has is "strong belief & trust" (FAITH) in ANY claim or assertion.
You claim "proof"...when you actually have no such thing. Nobody does, about anything.
Well...seems to me that gravity is a fact, and infallible...tell ya what...I propose that you, Euse, Jeff, and Vizio each jump off the Empire State Building 100 times...if on any attempt, any one of you falls up, I will renounce gravity as an infallible fact and accede to my belief in it as being an act of faith.

Any takers?

Or would you prefer to admit that making this assertion nominates you for needing a window in your belly so that you can see where you are going?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Kind of like Ken Ham's ark. Atheists want to concentrate on all the bad concerning it rather than the good.
There is no good in it.

Not. One. Bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.