Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:36 AM

32,533 posts, read 22,142,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Mark1 verse 1 as quoted in the oldest known Bible, the Codex Sinaiticus

1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ,

Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Mark |

as quoted in the KJV

Mark 1:1King James Version (KJV)

1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...A1&version=KJV
Where are you going with this, Woodrow?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 AM

88,890 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Christians do not believe in One G-d, they believe in multiple gods...Obviously you did not read the post nor analyze it...When one reads the OT one sees no mysteries ,all of a sudden one has the NT and many mysteries...But, that is the point, you quoted your priest and not the bible...
I did read your post. I've read many others like it in the past. You are making a case for why Jews do not believe in Christ/Holy Spirit/The Trinity, and you did it admirably.

Yes, I quoted my priest and not the bible, because I do not belong to a religious tradition that teaches that the written word is the infallible, inerrant Word of God. We discuss and argue and question what was written and people come up with their ideas on what something they can't really understand might mean. Sort of like Jews. Think about taking "you shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk" and turning that into an edict against cheeseburgers. But there are certain truths that all Christians believe, and one of them is that we believe in ONE GOD. It's rather disingenuous of you to try to tell a Christian that she does not believe in One God, but in multiple gods. We don't believe in multiple gods. Not any of us, whether we are bible literalists or otherwise.

ONE God. Consider yourself informed on that point.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,167,499 times
Quote:
Where are you going with this, Woodrow?...
Pointing out that the trinity concept had not yet fully taken root when the earliest bibles were written.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did read your post. I've read many others like it in the past. You are making a case for why Jews do not believe in Christ/Holy Spirit/The Trinity, and you did it admirably.

Yes, I quoted my priest and not the bible, because I do not belong to a religious tradition that teaches that the written word is the infallible, inerrant Word of God. We discuss and argue and question what was written and people come up with their ideas on what something they can't really understand might mean. Sort of like Jews. Think about taking "you shall not boil a kid in its mother's milk" and turning that into an edict against cheeseburgers. But there are certain truths that all Christians believe, and one of them is that we believe in ONE GOD. It's rather disingenuous of you to try to tell a Christian that she does not believe in One God, but in multiple gods. We don't believe in multiple gods. Not any of us, whether we are bible literalists or otherwise.

ONE God. Consider yourself informed on that point.
I know all about Christianity and their beliefs...The trinity is a pagan concept...And to see truth, one must have their eyes open and also their mind...The OP is pointing out, reasoning from the Hebrew TaNaKh, what the problems are with the concept of a triune god...Does it make any sense at all that G-d has been mono all this time and then all of a sudden in 325 CE he becomes triune?...Like other religions of triune gods that existed before Christianity?...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Pointing out that the trinity concept had not yet fully taken root when the earliest bibles were written.
Yep...I looked at those links...It doesn't seem to have come about until about 325 CE...But, you cannot convince people of this who are not really searching for truth...If one earnestly researches and comes to a conclusion that is contrary to what one currently believes and is supported with documentation, then, if one really desires to know the truth, then one must change one mind or one is not seriously interested in the truth...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:24 AM

22,807 posts, read 19,411,509 times
Quote:
But, you cannot convince people of this who are not really searching for truth...if one really desires to know the truth, then one must change one mind or one is not seriously interested in the truth...
In Judaism there is room for other religions and other religious people to understand and worship G-d differently. Jews don't insist on "the truth" for other people, nor do Jews preach, proselytize, or beat people about the head with quotes from scripture. Judaism is clear on how Jews view and interact with G-d. But we don't tell anyone else what the "truth is" for them. Other religions may do that. But Judaism does NOT do that.

It is not part of Judaism to convince others of anything.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-31-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,167,499 times
Quote:
Yep...I looked at those links...It doesn't seem to have come about until about 325 CE...But, you cannot convince people of this who are not really searching for truth...If one earnestly researches and comes to a conclusion that is contrary to what one currently believes and is supported with documentation, then, if one really desires to know the truth, then one must change one mind or one is not seriously interested in the truth...
The development of the Trinity took at least 500 years to reach it's current concept.

Even today there are Non-Trinitarian Christians and among the Trinitarians there are at least 3 different Schools of thought Eastern Orthodox, Protestant and Catholic. American Fundamentalist seems to be developing into a 4th school of thought

Here are some links that give good timelines of the Trinitatian development. The first one is excellent but quite lengthy and complex. but if you scroll down to Tertullian you can get a quick grasp

Trinity > History of Trinitarian Doctrines (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

http://www.angelfire.com/space/thego...ytimeline.html

Old 05-31-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
In Judaism there is room for other religions and other religious people to understand and worship G-d differently. Jews don't insist on "the truth" for other people, nor do Jews preach, proselytize, or beat people about the head with quotes from scripture. Judaism is clear on how Jews view and interact with G-d. But we don't tell anyone else what the "truth is" for them. Other religions may do that. But Judaism does NOT do that.

It is not part of Judaism to convince others of anything.
What can I say but I love to argue...

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
The development of the Trinity took at least 500 years to reach it's current concept.

Even today there are Non-Trinitarian Christians and among the Trinitarians there are at least 3 different Schools of thought Eastern Orthodox, Protestant and Catholic. American Fundamentalist seems to be developing into a 4th school of thought

Here are some links that give good timelines of the Trinitatian development. The first one is excellent but quite lengthy and complex. but if you scroll down to Tertullian you can get a quick grasp

Trinity > History of Trinitarian Doctrines (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Timeline: Development of the Trinity
I'd say if it took 500 years to develop then it can't be of G-d...

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,967,932 times
Quote:
What can I say but I love to argue...
Well you do a lousy job of convincing, so argue all you want as you convince me of my faith even more as I was already convinced in the first place. So Too Knock on Tknach or whatever it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality