Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,122,692 times

Advertisements

There are so many things to disagree about in this country, just look at how active this board is. Even groups of people that typically agreed with each other are now splintering off and squabbling. In the past we were a nation that was united by a common culture, language, history, and religion; even the immigration laws reflected this…but it is no longer the case.

We most likely all agree that politicians are awful but yet America keeps voting for the same two parties that put forth the same types of candidates.

I would think that perhaps the one thing that we could all agree on is that we’re proud to be Americans, but that’s not true…there is a portion of the population that is “ashamed” of being American, and others who would disregard the sovereignty of their own country.

So my question is this; what in America can unite us, what can we all agree about? Or, have the things that divide us become so numerous, the disagreements so personal, that we cannot unite about anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 AM

13,709 posts, read 20,880,145 times
Well, there is a good deal of truth in that statement. But if one takes the time to examine other countries, you would find that they are plagued by the same problems.

Last edited by Moth; 04-11-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 08:10 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,288,352 times
Pretty sure hanging all career politicians and lawyers by the neck until dead would unite quite a few of us. Then move on to public hanging of all violent criminals currently incarcerated. That would unite quite a few of us also.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,471,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Pretty sure hanging all career politicians and lawyers by the neck until dead would unite quite a few of us. Then move on to public hanging of all violent criminals currently incarcerated. That would unite quite a few of us also.
I don't think so ... I for one am against the death penalty, even when it comes to politicians.... (hard as that may be )

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 AM

473 posts, read 1,249,372 times
I think we can unite on our children's future. We have to do something about our public education system. It is failing miserably. If we can't educate our kids our future doesn't look bright. We need to ditch the teacher's union, make it more difficult to become a teacher (this will decrease supply and increase wages), let professionals teach, and give parents a choice where their kids can go to school.

Hopefully, we can unite on this issue. This is the one terrible issue that the gloom and doom media should report on.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
I think we can unite on our children's future. We have to do something about our public education system. It is failing miserably. If we can't educate our kids our future doesn't look bright. We need to ditch the teacher's union, make it more difficult to become a teacher (this will decrease supply and increase wages), let professionals teach, and give parents a choice where their kids can go to school.

Hopefully, we can unite on this issue. This is the one terrible issue that the gloom and doom media should report on.
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. The disagreement is on how to do it. Throwing a bunch of money into education without a measure to guage performance isa waste. We were once a bench mark nation and now we are a joke when it comes to education. Money is a small part of the answer. Dedicated teachers and parents is the biggest part. Something we lack.
Dedicated students? We have those but we lack accountability. We hold no one accountable for failure. Teachers unions protect under acheivers. Parents blame the schools for the childrens failures but refuse to look in the mirror and see the real culpret.
We the masses permit the Gov to get a pass on its failures by re-electing the same idiots time and again. We all own that one.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM

473 posts, read 1,249,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I don't think anyone disagrees with you. The disagreement is on how to do it. Throwing a bunch of money into education without a measure to guage performance isa waste. We were once a bench mark nation and now we are a joke when it comes to education. Money is a small part of the answer. Dedicated teachers and parents is the biggest part. Something we lack.
Dedicated students? We have those but we lack accountability. We hold no one accountable for failure. Teachers unions protect under acheivers. Parents blame the schools for the childrens failures but refuse to look in the mirror and see the real culpret.
We the masses permit the Gov to get a pass on its failures by re-electing the same idiots time and again. We all own that one.
Well said Tinman. We may disagree on our other post but I totally agree with you here.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Well said Tinman. We may disagree on our other post but I totally agree with you here.
LOL my first post was my attempt at sarcasm well sort of. LOL

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,599,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
So my question is this; what in America can unite us, what can we all agree about? Or, have the things that divide us become so numerous, the disagreements so personal, that we cannot unite about anything?
Good question, but I'm afraid there's no answer you're going to want to hear. For some decades now, we've been trying to "dismantle" the uniting factors in this country as fast as we possibly can....and it's working.

Where once we pushed "assimilation" by immigrants, we no longer do....in fact, a great many of us don't even "push" legality. Where once every young male was subject to the "draft" (as a sort of 'price to be paid' for the privilege of citizenship) this is no longer the case. Where once we had great societal pressure to 'act right' (i.e., support one's children....honor one's spouse....don't 'disgrace' ones' community or neighborhood) this, also, is no longer the case. Patriotism is now equated with xenophobia. Promoting adherence to 'the law' and 'the system' is now borderline racism. We don't even ask young people now to 'grow up". Our society is now filled with self-indulgent, materialistic, 35-year old "teenagers".....either childless, or "not really into" the demands of parenthood. And none of us 'judge' them, because none of us have that right.

As long as we continue our love affair with 'multiculturalism" I don't see how ANYTHING could possibly come on the scenr to "unite" us...I can't imagine what it would be....an invasion from 'outer space?'....total collapse of the world's climates?....a huge pandemic of some incurable fatal illness? Maybe THESE things would unite us..maybe NOT.

But multiculturalism, in essence, says "I have the right to be ME. And NO ONE has the right to tell me otherwise. And if what I want, conflicts with what YOU want, that's just tough". Multiculturalism means just that.."multiple" cultures. Multiple cultures, by definition, means "multiple values" and "multiple ethics". Some would even argue that it means "multiple realities".

And cultures, by their nature, are not EVER totally compatible.in fact, they're sometimes violently at ODDS with each other. And if ALL cultures are looked at as 'equivalent", then it doesn't take too much imagination to see SERIOUS problems in not only being 'united"...but in rfraining from KILLING each other, when and if the economy turns sour, and things start to get 'tough".

Sorry I can't give a more optimistic answer...

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,779,903 times
Quote:

-Raise the bar in education and fail kids that don't pass
-Don't base gov't money on "how many kids pass" - that promotes lowering the standards
-Get rid of NCLB
-Fire teachers that don't have a clue
-Give education back to the states while having a national standard (SAT) that all need to meet but in their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies