Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 04:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,205,958 times

Advertisements

All my life Christians in my family and others have tried to recruit me to Christianity. Begging me to go to church, passing out flyers, stopping me in the street, ringing my doorbell etc...but Jewish people have never done this. And theres a quite large jewish population where I grew up and it's surrounding areas(not as large as Christians but significant). I knew several jewish people in college and they never talked about their religion, meanwhile Christians were always trying to interject religion into conversation. Why is this?

Old 04-03-2015, 05:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Apart from the Hasmonean period when the Judeans conquered and converted Edom, they have never had the need to go out and convert others. The idea was rather to keep themselves separate as God's chosen and not encourage joiners. I see Sikhism as a similar religion - intended really as a way of maintaining identity in the face of rival cultures trying to absorb them - Islam and hinduism.

Christianity is much more like the Other kind of religion which is the Absorber -culture. That it was derived from Judaism does not make it an identity -preserver religion, but an absorber religion, the whole special identity thing being junked by Paul who of course wanted to have the Abrahamic promise extended to his fellow Greco - Romans.

I like Jews. They do not bother me. I am interested (as a Bible debunker) in the archaeological work they are doing, and a surprising secularism seems to be evident, as one might expect of a remarkably intellectual and also artistic (apart from graven or painted images) people.

So long as they don't try to wave the Bible about and call it a 'document' as though it had some kind of stamp of authority, find hidden messages in the Bible and expect us to be impressed or try to misuse biological science to justify religious restrictions on diet, I am not going to come down on them like a ton of bricks. Which is something I am having to do - regularly - with the Christian apologists intent on absorbing all the fereakin' world if they can.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:24 AM

50 posts, read 39,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
All my life Christians in my family and others have tried to recruit me to Christianity. Begging me to go to church, passing out flyers, stopping me in the street, ringing my doorbell etc...but Jewish people have never done this. And theres a quite large jewish population where I grew up and it's surrounding areas(not as large as Christians but significant). I knew several jewish people in college and they never talked about their religion, meanwhile Christians were always trying to interject religion into conversation. Why is this?
That is what I admire Jews: obedience. Although they rejected Jesus as the Messiah. But what Jesus rebuked concerning them, that printed deep into their hearts. "You go all the ways, crossing seas to make a convert......"

I really admire the people that will obey a commandment wether they understand or causing them harms or not. They are just like the little children worship and try hard to please the adults. Never ever think they will ever be greater than the authorities. While the Christian walk in the liberties of the son of GOD.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 AM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Yes, Judaism is as much about maintaining cultural identity as it is about religion. One is born to it via the mother. Of course outsiders can convert if they are sincerely interested.

In point of fact my unbelieving wife is technically Jewish because her stepmother was Jewish. It was enough to allow her to summer on a kibbutz in Israel after she graduated. All she had to do was call the Israeli embassy and set it up.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:47 AM

50 posts, read 39,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, Judaism is as much about maintaining cultural identity as it is about religion. One is born to it via the mother. Of course outsiders can convert if they are sincerely interested.

In point of fact my unbelieving wife is technically Jewish because her stepmother was Jewish. It was enough to allow her to summer on a kibbutz in Israel after she graduated. All she had to do was call the Israeli embassy and set it up.
Nonsense. That is what they want to believe, and want you to believe. But as much as sincere as Jesus, they loved very much in making converts like the today's Christians do now.

These 2000 years, the children realized something went wrong.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveringMyArm399 View Post
Nonsense..., they loved very much in making converts like the today's Christians do now....

Interesting claim. Can you substantiate that? The Gospel quote (from Luke, I believe) is not substantiation.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,296,866 times
Exodus 75:100 "Thou shalt not be a pest."

Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
That is what I admire Jews: obedience. Although they rejected Jesus as the Messiah. But what Jesus rebuked concerning them, that printed deep into their hearts. "You go all the ways, crossing seas to make a convert......"

I really admire the people that will obey a commandment wether they understand or causing them harms or not. They are just like the little children worship and try hard to please the adults. Never ever think they will ever be greater than the authorities. While the Christian walk in the liberties of the son of GOD.
I think you are getting Jews and Christians mixed up.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. That is what they want to believe, and want you to believe. But as much as sincere as Jesus, they loved very much in making converts like the today's Christians do now.

These 2000 years, the children realized something went wrong.
They will take converts if people are serious enough. Walking into a synagogue and saying "I want to be a jew!" isn't going to be enough though. They also don't go out of their way to convert people.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Christianity is about spreading the gospel, Judaism is not. One of the core tenets of it is to literally go out and tell people the good news. The problem is that modern Christians also don't seem to understand that you aren't supposed to badger people that show no interest in their faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality