Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Advertisements

Why Is Conversion to Judaism So Hard? - Questions & Answers

Quote:
So there’s the difference: In a religion, you belong because you believe. In a brit (in this case, Judaism), you believe because you belong.

Believing is part of the brit. So are all the other mitzvot—obligations—of the covenant. It doesn’t matter whether you believe in that covenant or those obligations, or believe that G‑d obligated you, or believe in G‑d at all. You can’t fight with history. You are part of this people by virtue of having been born into it, and that’s who this people are and what this people do. A deal is a deal.
In general, Jews do not try to convert non-Jews to Judaism. In fact, according to halakhah (Jewish Law), rabbis are supposed to make three vigorous attempts to dissuade a person who wants to convert to Judaism. Jews have a lot of responsibilities that non-Jews do not have.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Why would we?

Our religion teaches that a Jew is bound to live by the Torah, to fulfill all of the 613 commandments that pertain to him or her. A non-Jew, on the other hand, is only required to follow seven general laws in order to be considered righteous.

Being Jewish is both a religious and an ethnic identifier, and no one is required to adopt either in order to receive some reward after they die. Those of us who do choose to convert to Judaism do so because we find a people, a religion, and a way of living that we identify with and want to become part of. That's not something you can pitch on the street corner and expect to find positive results; tell a guy he has to be circumcised and give up pork and cheeseburgers, and he's suddenly got somewhere else to be.

It takes a lot of work to become Jewish; you have to study, worship, and (usually) spend a least a year living as Jew before a rabbi will present you to a beit din. It's a great commitment, and we take it very seriously. Once you are Jewish, you're always Jewish.
It certainly was not a blessing? For losing the Temple, Nationhood and dispersion? That had them scattered into the worlds nations? A remnant has since been returning to a restored nation in a day. Awaiting final prophecies and sign to rebuild their Temple.

Some not Blood Mound on Passover's and Sukkot's last few years? Including this years as signs?

Blood-Red Moons ⬅lot of detail in this sight.

What do four consecutive blood moons on the Jewish holidays of Passover and Sukkot mean for the Jews and the world at large

The Spanish Inquisition — 1492
* Passover, April 2, 1493
* Sukkoth, Sept. 25, 1493
* Passover, March 22, 1494
* Sukkoth, Sept. 15, 1494
The War of Independence — 1948
* Passover, April 13, 1949
* Sukkoth, Oct. 7, 1949
* Passover, April 2, 1950
* Sukkoth, Sept. 26, 1950
The Six-Day War — 1967
* First Day of Passover, April 24, 1967
* First Day of Sukkoth, Oct. 18, 1967
* First Day of Passover. April 13, 1968
* First Day of Sukkoth, Oct. 6, 1968
What will occur in the 2013–2015 time period?
* First Day of Passover, April 15, 2014
* First Day of Sukkoth, Oct. 8, 2014
* First Day of Passover, April 4, 2015
* First Day of Sukkoth, Sept. 28, 2015
Fall Feasts in 2015
* Rosh Hashanah (The Feast of Trumpets), Sept. 14
* Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement), Sept. 23
* Sukkoth (The Feast of Tabernacles), Sept. 28

JUST THOUGHT I'D ADD THIS REASONING? INTERESTING? IS IT MERE COINCIDENCES?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,864,692 times
Oy vey.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM

50 posts, read 39,527 times
Quote:
Why would we?

Our religion teaches that a Jew is bound to live by the Torah, to fulfill all of the 613 commandments that pertain to him or her. A non-Jew, on the other hand, is only required to follow seven general laws in order to be considered righteous.

Being Jewish is both a religious and an ethnic identifier, and no one is required to adopt either in order to receive some reward after they die. Those of us who do choose to convert to Judaism do so because we find a people, a religion, and a way of living that we identify with and want to become part of. That's not something you can pitch on the street corner and expect to find positive results; tell a guy he has to be circumcised and give up pork and cheeseburgers, and he's suddenly got somewhere else to be.

It takes a lot of work to become Jewish; you have to study, worship, and (usually) spend a least a year living as Jew before a rabbi will present you to a beit din. It's a great commitment, and we take it very seriously. Once you are Jewish, you're always Jewish.
Yes, I remember now. When I was discussing about conversion with him, he said something like one year. And he was very inviting.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveringMyArm399 View Post
Yes, I remember now. When I was discussing about conversion with him, he said something like one year. And he was very inviting.
Anything else you suddenly recall he said you'd have to do?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
All my life Christians in my family and others have tried to recruit me to Christianity. Begging me to go to church, passing out flyers, stopping me in the street, ringing my doorbell etc...but Jewish people have never done this. And theres a quite large jewish population where I grew up and it's surrounding areas(not as large as Christians but significant). I knew several jewish people in college and they never talked about their religion, meanwhile Christians were always trying to interject religion into conversation. Why is this?
Simply put, Judaism doesn't have a central figure who gathered disciples and told them to 'spread the word'. Christianity is more about a movement to a destination than a destination itself.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM

50 posts, read 39,527 times
Quote:
Why would we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Anything else you suddenly recall he said you'd have to do?
No. I just attempted a few times. He didn't talk about the laws at all, as the Christian sermons did. It were the people who could speak Hebrew reading the prayer book and ?praising book. I asked him a few questions concerning some laws, and he always said I had to show him where they were in the Bible. But of course not that I brought the Bible with me to a Jewish worship. And the only "Bible" there, would be that sacred scroll in a shrine.... I don't think it is a good idea to fetch it out. Besides that, the rabbi emailed me everyday of the Jerusalem news vice versa.

Last edited by CoveringMyArm399; 04-03-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: did

Old 04-03-2015, 11:47 AM

88,531 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Christianity is about spreading the gospel, Judaism is not. One of the core tenets of it is to literally go out and tell people the good news. The problem is that modern Christians also don't seem to understand that you aren't supposed to badger people that show no interest in their faith.
Best answer.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveringMyArm399 View Post
When did you wake up from your dream?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Best answer.
~bows~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality